Author Topic: Lightning Safety Awareness Week  (Read 10530 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Lightning Safety Awareness Week
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
This week has been dedicated to Lightning Safety and Awareness Week. Lightning can be a dangerous and deadly weather phenomena associated with thunderstorms. An average of 53 people die each year from lightning strikes and even more are struck that survive. Already 7 people have been killed this year, with 4 of them from Florida. 1 of these fatalities was a fisherman standing along the shore of a lake in Florida. The others were some type of outdoor activity.

Lightning deaths and injuries are very preventable. The easiest way to prevent lightning deaths is to seek shelter when you hear thunder; "When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!" Seek shelter in a substantial structure with electricity and plumbing or a metal roofed car. Remain indoors for 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder is heard. Lightning can travel far distances, on average 10 miles and strikes "out of the blue" have come from over 30 miles! There is no such thing as heat lightning either. If you see lightning or hear thunder, seek shelter. "Heat" lightning is just cloud-to-cloud lightning. If caught on the water in a thunderstorm, the best bet is to try and get into seek shelter or avoid the storm by moving positions. When avoiding the storm is not possible, seek shelter in a cabin if possible and avoid metal surfaces.

Lightning safety is mostly common sense, but reviewing what is recommended to do in various scenarios will ensure your readiness. Below is a video and some links to lightning safety!

Be safe and thanks for reading!

NWS Lightning Safety Video

NWS Lightning Safety Website

Understanding Lightning

Lightning Strikes

Lightning Safety Tips

Outdoor Lightning Safety

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Lightning Safety Awareness Week
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »
 t^ .. Thanks for the info Matt  ... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Great info as always Matt  slt I got to witness the frightening power of lightning a few nights ago..almost too close.. We had a storm pass, and thinking we where done, I pulled the truck out of the garage to head out for some walleye fishing... well i did'nt get 2 miles before another storm swept in, so I scrubbed fishing and turned back for home.. on the way back, lightning was cracking all around.. when I got home, it was dumping and storming bad, so I hit the remote to open the garage door.. nadda.. then I glanced to my left and saw one of the big oaks next to the garage was nearly torn in half  cfzd

In the few minutes since I had pulled out, lightning had struck the tree.. it blew out the windows in the garage, blew the fuse panel door open and one fuse clean out! fried the door opener of course.. looking around the yard, it looked like a bomb had gone off.. Huge splinters of wood from the tree, plus some lumber pop had stacked next to garage had been thrown around like jackstraws.. gutters hanging, siding on the house ( on the other side of the detached garage)  all dented from wood shrapnel.. we found a piece about 5' long 30 feet up another oak on the other side of the driveway! I consider we where very lucky..  no one was hurt.. there was no fire.. (despite a 1/2 can of gas sitting out next to the woodpile at the base of the tree being blown 10 feet away  fcp) We lost phone and cable for a few days.. and my favorite deer hanging tree  :'(  but it coulda been a lot worse..Interestingly, there was an old basketball hoop that had grown into the tree that apparently diverted the bolt, and kept it from splitting the tree to the roots... But it really makes you respect the awesome power of a strike..

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
WOW!!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »
cfzd Wow, Mark! Amazing power and destruction!! Sorry, you have damage :-\, but like you said, no one was hurt. Luckily, you weren't in the garage when it struck. Thanks for sharing.

TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Lightning Safety Awareness Week 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »
Here is a link to review lightning safety. You can also scroll up and take a look at the daily posts from last year.

Weather Ready Nation Lightning Safety

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Lightning & Fishing
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »

This is what a graphite rod looks like after being struck by lightning! They are excellent conductors. Luckily, this was not in the hands of anyone and no one was seriously injured in the strike.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-