Author Topic: Taking it to the Next Level  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Fishin:Impossible

Taking it to the Next Level
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »
I have a basic understanding of surf fishing, and some decent gear.  The only things missing are the fish.  I have fished the Hook about 10-12 times since May, and can say I only had one good day's catching (with about 8 blues in four hours).  Not exactly setting the world on fire.  The rest of the days are either skunks, or a blue fish or two.  One day, I had two short stripers.  How can I take it up to the next level?

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
Re: Taking it to the Next Level
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »
Try talking or making friends with some of the other surf fishermen.  Most people who fish will readily share information. 

Get out to your fishing areas at low tide so you can see contour of the beaches to find places where bait would congregate.

Chat with the local bait shop owner in the area you are fishing. When people weight in their fish they usually share where and when they caught it.

Keep a log of what conditions you were fishing in and what the results were.  Tide movement, water temp, moon phase, bait used and other things like that.

There are some very good surf fishermen on here so they will chime in with more tips for you.

Keep putting in your time and you will have that banner day soon.

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz slt

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »
Thanks NJBob.  Will do.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
The most important thing is to know how to read the beach and the water or "Reading the Sand." This is a great article written by Paul! Without knowing where to fish, you could be throwing your lure or bait onto a big pile of unproductive sandbar ;D. Like Bob said, low tide is the best time to scout out the structure of the water and beach. Also, know that it changes constantly. Next thing, you need to know what you are fishing for and what bait to match. Summer is a mix of hold over stripers, bluefish and fluke...with some others thrown in the mix as, let's say a bycatch :P. Stripers will go for bunker heads, chunked bunker, mullet, clams and artificials. Fluke, you want to use a bucktail or fluke rig weighted with either squid or gulp and keep the bait moving. Dead sticking is fine, but you won't cover as much area. However, if that is how you are fishing for the day, that it could produce just as much. Bluefish, anything will work. Look for bait or birds working for stripers and blues.

This is the ocean, so even if you are doing everything right, the fish have to be there. It's not like a lake where you can search all over and try and find them. If they aren't in along the beaches, you can't catch them. Covering a good amount of real estate will help too, but isn't always necessary, especially if you are bait fishing. I am an artificial guy and like to lure fish and move. *When, I fish, I cover miles at a time, moving from one area of structure to the next. Most of all just fish and have fun! The more time you put in the more rewarding it can be. Surf fisherman are definitely not going to limit out or haul meat like a Charter or boat would be able to do, but it is very rewarding when you catch. Surf fishing is unique. Remember to be alert to water conditions and changing weather. Getting knocked down by a wave or consumed while in waders is not fun, nor is getting stuck in a thunderstorm on a wide open beach holding a lightning rod!

Take a look in the From the Surf area for the stickied topics. There is a lot of good information in there. I am sure I have missed some things, but others will chime in, I'm sure.

Good luck and have fun!

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »
 wts
Good info t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Tonyc1

• TonyC1
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
Even if you think the spot you are in is the perfect spot..right tide..hole in sandbar...etc..if you don't get a fish or see others getting fish in about 1 hr...its time to move.  The fish do...i found the best way to a good day is to find birds.  Get in your car..bring a pair of binoculars..ever 10 blocks or so go to the top of the dune and look for birds working.  Even if they seem far off shore its worth a try. A pod of fish can move in fast fro a mile out when they are chasing bait.  If no birds..keep track of other spots you find with good rockpilesb..openings in the bar..or steep beaches..all will increase your chances versus standing in one spot for hours...Go Get Em!
SLUGGOS RULE!!!

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
Time of year is everything to determine location,
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
Thanks to each of you.  I truly appreciate the responses.  I think that I have been staying in one place too long.  I try taking it to the fish by moving up and down the beach, and seeking out structure along the way.  Cover more ground.  Will let you know how it goes.   slt Thanks again.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-