Author Topic: Shark River need some knowledge please....  (Read 4546 times)

Offline carloliveira

• Home of the brave!
Shark River need some knowledge please....
« on: July 10, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
I have fished the Raritan Bay (in and around) all my life so coming out from the Shark River Inlet is new to me and just looking for some advice as too were the Fluke may be hiding I have cuaght a few but the sizes have not been impressive managed to Jig a Striper last week in the middle of a baitfish frenzy but thats about it some nice sized black sea bass along with the small fluke but thats only because i have been around some structure your knowledge would be appreciated...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Shark River need some knowledge please....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
Welcome aboard t^  a lot of guy from SR here  that will be willing to help you.. all we ask is you let us know how your doing with reports an such t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »
North to the Red Church or even further to the Shrewsbury Rocks. Fish in the hard stuff, you will loose a lot of tackle but that's where the bigger fish hang out.

East to the Klondike.

South to the Sea Girt Reef, plenty of structure there to find some nice flatties.

Deeper water is where the bigger fish usually are.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline carloliveira

• Home of the brave!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
Small Fluke off the red steeple church north of the inlet lot of shorts

Striper underneath bunker just south of the shrewsbury rocks

Black Sea Bass fishing over the Shrewsbury Rocks some nice sizes to be had

Saw Dolphins on my way back to Shark River Inlet just north of Avon

Fished 30-50 foot water lots shorts in 50-75 foot water no luck
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Reefsquatter

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
Follow Irish Eyes,!

Offline carloliveira

• Home of the brave!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »
North to the Red Church or even further to the Shrewsbury Rocks. Fish in the hard stuff, you will loose a lot of tackle but that's where the bigger fish hang out.

East to the Klondike.

South to the Sea Girt Reef, plenty of structure there to find some nice flatties.

Deeper water is where the bigger fish usually are.

thanks for the input the sea girt reef i might try my luck there this weekend north of the inlet hasnt been good for me so far.....south blow sunday might have these fish in deeper water anyways.....

Offline carloliveira

• Home of the brave!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
Last weeks dinner.....the one brightspot on a jig

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:41:18 PM »
 t^

Offline Reefsquatter

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
Nice, if you are heading to the reef try the north east corner, bring lots of buck tails too

Offline carloliveira

• Home of the brave!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
im assuming the need for extra tackle is because your gaurenteed to snag....correct?

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »
 wa  It is a totally different ball game fluke fishing out of SR as most of the fishing to the north is over rocks and structure.  Raritan Bay and out to Ambrose and Sandy Hook channels fishing is over sandy bottom.

The area off of Long Branch holds a lot of nice sized fluke if you are willing to donate tackle to the fish Gods.  Look for the red or orange colored roofs on the condos as you reach LB.  I have fished that area from close to the beach to further offshore with a NS party boat from Belmar and a lot of nice fluke were caught.  There were also days I stopped fishing because I got tired of losing so many Spro jigs.  LOL

Try around the outer buoy at the Rocks and further offshore is an area called the Rattlesnake.

I don't know if you are in a marina or have your boat on a trailer. The S rocks would be easier to fish from the Raritan Bay area as you will not have to ride into the ever-present South wind in the afternoon on the way home.

Good Luck where ever you decide to fish and don't forget the reports and pics.  

Did you try the pretzels I saw in the jar as bait?  hhppy

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz slt

Offline carloliveira

• Home of the brave!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 01:25:13 AM »
wa  It is a totally different ball game fluke fishing out of SR as most of the fishing to the north is over rocks and structure.  Raritan Bay and out to Ambrose and Sandy Hook channels fishing is over sandy bottom.

The area off of Long Branch holds a lot of nice sized fluke if you are willing to donate tackle to the fish Gods.  Look for the red or orange colored roofs on the condos as you reach LB.  I have fished that area from close to the beach to further offshore with a NS party boat from Belmar and a lot of nice fluke were caught.  There were also days I stopped fishing because I got tired of losing so many Spro jigs.  LOL

Try around the outer buoy at the Rocks and further offshore is an area called the Rattlesnake.

I don't know if you are in a marina or have your boat on a trailer. The S rocks would be easier to fish from the Raritan Bay area as you will not have to ride into the ever-present South wind in the afternoon on the way home.

Good Luck where ever you decide to fish and don't forget the reports and pics.  

Did you try the pretzels I saw in the jar as bait?  hhppy

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz slt

Coming home in the south wind doesnt bother me im just a little dissapointed in myself for not pickin up some keeper fluke when compared to fishing the edges of the channels around sandy hook I was gaurenteed a meal every trip no doubt.....gotta find me some new numbers to fish on so im not just making donations to the petroleum companys.....lol....in due time...

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-