Author Topic: Water coming in!!!  (Read 7482 times)

Offline Duffman

Water coming in!!!
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
Ran into a problem last trip. Havent had a chance to look at anything yet but figure I'd throw it out here on the board to get some input and ideas.

Hosing down the deck regularly during the day. Washdown hose working perfectly all day, good pressure and flow.  Day coming to an end and start to make the 12 mile trek to the dock. Unscrew the washdown hose from the fitting and put it away.    Get up on plane for the ride in and my son notices water coming out of the washdown port as if the pump was on.   Pump  switch was in off position and pump was not running.  Throttle back to idle and pop open bilge hatch.  WATER!  Decent amount but not crazy. 

Closed thru hull petcock and let bilge pump empty her out.  Got back up on plane and looked for any water coming in...NONE.   

Like I said, haven't had a chance to take a look at anything yet, works been nuts.   Looking for any ideas before I get started, thanks guys.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Water coming in!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
Split/broken hose between the petcock and pump would be my guess. Water stopped coming in with the petcock closed.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
check the switch it may be stuck closed
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »
I would have to side with Joe more then Al . The way the suction line works your going to get water sucked in just by running. On my boat  it's the same suction line for both the wash down pump and the live well . If I leave my valve open in my live well it will fill up while running even though the pump is not on. You were able to close your seacock which is a good thing a lot of boat owners don't even know it's there let alone excerciseing it a couple times a year to keep it in working order. A hose should go from the intake to a strainer then split to your two pumps.  t^
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:55:38 PM by Pops Soul »
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »
 I'm gonna side with split/loose hose. My live well will also fill up if I leave the valve open under way with pump off.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:01:48 AM »
 5hrug just dont know why it would be coming out of the hose connect if there was a broken line, but either way hope its an easy fix let us know.  t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »
All is true what Irish and Pops have said. I've seen this situation on customer's boats as well. I've seen many boats that also have an on-off valve right where the cockpit w/d hose connects. Make sure that sea cock is easy to turn and it should be turned open/close at least once a month, as well as left in the closed position if the boat is wet slipped. Bronze and Marelon are the only ABYC accepted materials below the waterline.  Also make sure it's mounting hardware and the way its mounted is secure and there are no corroded parts in the system.  As far as access, well I can tell you some horror stories.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Duffman

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
Had time to look at it yesterday and found 2 issues.  
 With the washdown switch off, the pump was still running at a low speed. Disconnected toggle at dash and pump went off completely. Pried open the toggle and found corrosion.  Swapped out the switch and problem solved.
 Ran the hose with my head down in the bilge and noticed water dripping at the end of the washdown hose.  Pulled out the starboard rod box and found the end of the hose split under the clamp.  Replaced 3 feet of hose and 2 new clamps.

Toggle switch $15 and I had the hose and clamps lying around the garage, so not a bad fix at all.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »
Good job Dan,   Quick fix and it's almost time for a  chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
 t^ .. Good for you, Easy cheap fix ..  chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
Glad to hear it was a quick and easy repair.  chrz
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-