Author Topic: FISHERMEN/CAPT.RON  (Read 1113 times)

Offline 1captainron

• Sponsor
    • Capt Ron's Fishermen
FISHERMEN/CAPT.RON
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
I can honestly say, I've never had to work so hard in my life to catch fish!!
Even with the best of conditions in the prime area's I have fished for 35 years the bite has been "tough" too say the least. When we do find a line of fish, like this morning, a nice pic of shorts and a couple keepers, we go back to do it again, and catch crap! Everyone asks, what do you think is going on? Was it Sandy, Water temps, lack of bait? For the first time in my career, I have NO answer.
I have fished rough bottom, mud, snags, channels any place that I thought would produce even with the best of conditions only to come home disappointed.
Yes, we have been catching some very nice fish, probably more quality fish on average than the past couple of years, just not enough. There have been times when we could fish the beach and always have action on the shorts just to keep the customers happy, that hasn't happened this season. Our beach has been dead. I thought with the 18 inch size limit this year, some of the old haunts I've fished on the NY side would be a home run only to find a few fish here and there.
What scares me is the lack of bait life on the bottom, the shrimp and readings we would see when the bite used to be on...what happened? Was Sandy that powerful that it killed off all the start of the food chain?
We started to see more bottom life in some area's this past week and a few more short fish but nothing like it should be. This time of year the Reach channel should be loaded with bait and it's not, with the exception of Bunkers, and we all know Fluke ain't eating those bunkers!
So what do we do? We go out everyday with the same passion to catch our customers fish, we look for the perfect drifting conditions, we wait for the change of tide bite and pray that today will be the day our customers will remember, and not for getting skunked!
All of us do the best we can do, we take pride in being the best at it but sometimes Mother Nature bites us in the ass and brings us back to reality. We are just fishermen, we fish, if they are hungry and here, we catch them, certainly not for lack of effort on my part, or anyone else's....

We are Chartered this coming "FRIDAY AND SATURDAY" Morning.
Capt. Ron

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: FISHERMEN/CAPT.RON
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
This will happen t^

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »
Thanks for the HONEST report and summary of this years fluke fishing Captain Ron.

I also thought with the size limits being the same this year that the old haunts on the NY side would be a bonanza of keepers. We always caught nice fish at Old Orchard, Great Kills Harbor, old ferry channels by Hoffman and Swinburne Islands and off the Rockaway's. One year we were killing the fluke in the channels by the Brooklyn Navy Yard. LOL

What has been in the stomachs of the fluke you are catching when they are fileted?

I would have thought that Sandy would have had a bigger effect on the fishing last year and that this year would be back to normal.

I wonder if the commercials guys did some heavy damage to the fluke population during the winter when they were offshore. That would not explain the lack of bait you are seeing.

Thanks again for your honesty.  t^

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz  slt

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:38 PM »
Well written Capt.Ron and Bob t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-