Author Topic: Gel Coat repair..  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Duffman

Gel Coat repair..
« on: August 01, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »
Need to have a few blemishes repaired. 

A cooler used to be bolted thru the deck that I removed. Holes temp fixed with marine-tex and want to have the non skid returned to like new.

Decent size scrape on the keel line towards the bow from a trailer loading mishap....NOT my fault and sticking to that story   ;D

Looking for a repair place in central Jersey, preferably on the RT 36 run to the Hook.  I trailer so can travel if anyone can recco a good repair guy.

Thanks.   (didn't know whether to post here or in boat section...move if ya have to mods)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Gel Coat repair..
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:19:29 PM »
Right  topic for post Duff,
I'm sure many of us  need the same repairs in the area.
Hopefully you find a place. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Online wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
I personally wait 5yrs til I have multiple repairs needed then I use,,,, wait for it,,,, Marine tex and I rub dirt into it to match the nicotine color of my hull. works like a champ with my patented packing tape finishing technique, and no sanding, lasts forecer as you know, but non skid is a no go. sorry Duff.

Online wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »
.... and Eddie or Tombo can splain further my Coaming Pads White Duct tape Repair... o wait I just did.... lasts for years and easy re-repair too. If you are neat and handy and go slow, it actually looks Ok unless you are anal, which I know you are not.

but that's off topic sorry again

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
My friends father worked for dr gelcoat for years he does small things around our area (keyport) I can get his info if you want
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »
Al that would be great.  Send info if ya can.  Job is relatively small compared to what most fiberglass shops are doing.

Don't want to try it myself with some West Marine repair kit. Boat doesn't look her age so want to keep her looking good...ok..so Im a Diva... ::)

Double U...used to beat up my old sled with duct tape and a prayer...cant do it...well maybe I can.. ;D

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »
I know what you mean Duff, I did mine myself with the West Marine stuff. It did the job but looks like crap, color didn't match. Some day I'll get it done professionally !  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-