Author Topic: Beginner fluke rod and reel outfit  (Read 3471 times)

Offline bdempz

Beginner fluke rod and reel outfit
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:17:41 AM »
Hey guys so I have a few questions for the pros here.

I bought an star aerial surf rod (9') and need a decent reel that will not break the bank. I have decided to go with a penn fierce but need a model to go with a 9' pole. I am on the fence between the 4000 and the 5000. Just wanted anyone's input on either and if the 5000 is what you suggest then why? Form the looks of it, it doesn't seem like much of a difference except for the drag and the line capacity.

Which leads me to my next question. My rod is rated for 12-30 pounds and I want to go for fluke and blue fish. What line do I use and what should my drag be set at? Obviously this correlates to the model penn fierce people suggest so if you could suggest a reel, as well as drag and line for fluke and blue fishing off the shore that would be very helpful

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
Re: Beginner fluke rod and reel outfit
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:01:01 AM »
http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=34866.msg300681#msg300681

For a 9ft rod, go with a 4000 series reel.  If you can spend a little more, go with a Penn Battle (they are on sale most places right now).  Use a 20 to 30lb braid like Power Pro. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:03:08 AM by ChrisL »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-