Author Topic: Yamaha corrision issue  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Yamaha corrision issue
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
 I just read about an issue with Yamaha F 225, F 250 and F 150 exhaust manifolds corrosion issue. Anyone have any knowledge of this?? Pretty expensive repair from what I read.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Yamaha corrision issue
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »
Yea.  that's been around  awhile.. Looks like I'm ok.. But I know a few that were not..

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »
Does anyone know if it is just 4 strokes?

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
4 strokes as you mentioned. I know the V-6's definitely were an issue up to 06. If buying a boat with these motors, there better be receipts from the seller for the repairs/upgrades made. If not, stay away or have the seller have the repairs made BEFORE you buy it.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
I have been scoping my exhaust at the beginning and end of each season for the last few years (ever since this issue came to light)to check for the corrosion. No problems so far on my 2003 F200TXRB. My local Yami dealer says that they don't see it with the 200 much.

If you don't catch it in time, the oil pan corrodes through and its catastrophic. Its a big job to replace all the parts, (Yamaha has a kit with all of the parts ) and Yamaha recommends replacing the oil pump while you have it apart. If its your motor, and you know how its treated you over the years, I would go with the repairs if it came down to it. If not, I'm with Matt, receipts or run.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
4 strokes as you mentioned. I know the V-6's definitely were an issue up to 06. If buying a boat with these motors, there better be receipts from the seller for the repairs/upgrades made. If not, stay away or have the seller have the repairs made BEFORE you buy it.

Great advise Matt!! Everyone should be aware of this issue!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-