Author Topic: What was I looking at??  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Xfire2149

What was I looking at??
« on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »
I went through the Point Pleasant Canal yesterday and out through the Manasquan Inlet. I won't say it was a mistake but it wasn't very comfortable for anyone so about an hour was all anyone could take. We came back in and fished for fluke along the rocks. We caught several shorts and a couple blackfish. Went back up into the shallows across from the pipeline and anchored up in about 2' of water. I put a paddle board in the water and started paddling around in about 3-4' of nice warm water. I soon saw a small school of very large silver whitish looking fish swimming in about 3' water. I would estimate them at about 10+ lbs even accounting refraction. What was I seeing? Are these Drum? Weakfish?
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: What was I looking at??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »
Hmmm...  10 pounds would rule out hickory shad or herring or croakers.  I suppose it's possible they could have been weakies.  Although I would kill to come across a whole school of 10 lb. weakfish! thud

Did you get a clear look at them?  Are you sure they weren't bluefish or stripers? :headscra:

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:43:11 AM »
You know.......

I didnt even think about stripers. now that you mention it that's what they looked like although being new to this side of the country I've never seen them first hand. Only pics. Stripers are in the bays and shallow water now? They spooked when I approached with the paddle board.
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline carloliveira

• Home of the brave!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
school of blues?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LIL BOAT NO FUEL BILL

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
 whs

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
There really aren't usually a lot of bigger blues and stripers in the bays right now.  Normally it's too warm for their comfort.  However, with the mild summer, it's possible.  Also possible they chased some baitfish in from the inlet.

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
I googled up images of stripers in shallow water. I'm nearly positve this is what I saw. Pretty exciting stuff. Nice sized fish.
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:39:21 AM »
Tuesday evening my buddy Mike was at the gas dock at Arnold's Marina in Brielle.  He was weighing fish for a tourney.  He saw a school of Nice sized Stripers around 30" in the water under the dock lights.  They were by the pilings facing the current. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
Arnolds Marina is pretty close to where I was. Fish were (as you mentioned) facing into the current. Exciting to see fish of that size. I'm really looking forward to doing some striper fishing this season.
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Tuesday evening my buddy Mike was at the gas dock at Arnold's Marina in Brielle.  He was weighing fish for a tourney.  He saw a school of Nice sized Stripers around 30" in the water under the dock lights.  They were by the pilings facing the current. t^

See em all the time at hoffmans  ;)
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Reefsquatter

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 06:56:28 AM »
Those school sized stripers are in the river there year round, you can catch them in a certain spot on a certain tide using sandworms, they are usually around 18-20 inches.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
Would'nt be hard to to believe they where stripers.. but fwiw.. back in the day, when I used to fish the Manasquan frequently in my tin boat, that area was one of my favorites for Weakfish.. used to catch them pretty good on 1/2oz rat-l-traps in the channel off the island..  ;) maybe they are back from extinction?  ;D  chrz chrz

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-