Author Topic: Regulations for Anglers  (Read 4844 times)

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
Regulations for Anglers
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:14:38 AM »
Something that I have wondered about for a long time is. What are all of these regulations on size and catch limits doing to improve fishing? There may have been a discussion here in the past,I haven't really noticed. But I'm really not convinced that closed seasons and catch limits are helping. I do believe in size limits however...although I can't understand how you can control netting of certain size and species. It's always been my opinion that anglers don't have an impact on the fish population as far as ocean fisheries are concerned. Seems to me Government is targeting the wrong group, as usual!! Anyway I sure wish someone could help clear this up for me. 5hrug ???     
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: Regulations for Anglers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
the fishing stays the same or gets worse. The keeping always gets worse.

It's like "deposit friction" (Roddy!); let's call it "fishing entropy."

I can't recall ever discussing this here before.  rgmn  ovrbt  pcrn  fcp

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
I was just reading where they uped the quote for spiny  dogfish, boy do I feel better fcp pawle
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »
I do believe recreational anglers can have a detrimental affect on certain populations of fish.  Apparently the RFA agrees, as they are supporting a proposal which would reduce the 2015 bag limit on striped bass to one fish at the current 28-inch minimum size limit.

The moratoriums and then the 36" minimum size on stripers in the late 80s helped tremendously in their comeback.

Making them a gamefish and reducing the number of bunker boats (and where they can operate) has helped as well.

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
With all due respect to you Bucktail, as it seams as though you know what is going on in the angling industry.

I don't see how individual anglers can have any such impact on Stripe Bass as far as overfishing is concerned. Having made that statement let me say that a 28" size limit makes sense if you make it a slot size that keeps the larger spawning fish protected. But why place a catch limit at only one. There is no 100% catch rate among anglers on the Jersey shore...probably more like 40%. Again I think they are targeting the wrong group. I don't see how that is a positive influence on the tackle industry sails. IMO.
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline cricker

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
go back and look and some of the pictures that get posted on these fishing forums and on charter boat websites of boat decks loaded with 30-50lb fish that look like they have a basketball in their gut because theyre so full of eggs, the recreational anglers that have the mindset that you have to keep everything thats legal and the bigger the better can certainly have an impact when they consistently take the healthiest breeders out, I am not a big fan of commercial fishing especially with some of the methods that are used but to say recreational anglers never have an impact is just naive

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »
go back and look and some of the pictures that get posted on these fishing forums and on charter boat websites of boat decks loaded with 30-50lb fish that look like they have a basketball in their gut because theyre so full of eggs, the recreational anglers that have the mindset that you have to keep everything thats legal and the bigger the better can certainly have an impact when they consistently take the healthiest breeders out, I am not a big fan of commercial fishing especially with some of the methods that are used but to say recreational anglers never have an impact is just naive

Please read my post again, and you will see that I said that I do believe in a size limit or slot size to save the breeders. My meaning is quite clear on catch limits in the right way and not to be a slob about meat fishing or hunting for that matter. I have been a sportsman for some 56 years and have always practiced good ethics and passed it on to my son as well. I can't speak for those that defy the law and common sense. Just giving my honest opinion.   

Offline cricker

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
I read your post, the part i was disagreeing with you on is whether or not recreational fisherman can affect fish populations, they absolutely can affect certain fish like stripers when guys load their boat with breeders day after day, limits aren't made for people who understand conservation and being a sportsman, they're made for the greedy and we need them, whether or not the limits make sense and how they come up with them is a whole different discussion

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
I read your post, the part i was disagreeing with you on is whether or not recreational fisherman can affect fish populations, they absolutely can affect certain fish like stripers when guys load their boat with breeders day after day, limits aren't made for people who understand conservation and being a sportsman, they're made for the greedy and we need them, whether or not the limits make sense and how they come up with them is a whole different discussion

With all due respect to your understanding of what point I made. I do believe you missed it. But that's OK you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect your feelings about protecting the Striped Bass.

Offline cricker

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
"It's always been my opinion that anglers don't have an impact on the fish population as far as ocean fisheries are concerned. Seems to me Government is targeting the wrong group, as usual!!"

if your point wasnt that recreational anglers cant affect populations than what was it? if your saying the regulations are slanted in favor of the commercial guys than I agree with you on that part, i just disagree with you on the impact rec anglers can have on some species

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »
"It's always been my opinion that anglers don't have an impact on the fish population as far as ocean fisheries are concerned. Seems to me Government is targeting the wrong group, as usual!!"

if your point wasnt that recreational anglers cant affect populations than what was it? if your saying the regulations are slanted in favor of the commercial guys than I agree with you on that part, i just disagree with you on the impact rec anglers can have on some species

That was my point, because there are not enough Anglers in the NJ area that catch that many fish to have an impact on the species of any kind. We may be lead to believe such nonsense that the media and the DEP try to brain wash us with but it doesn't make it so. I really don't want to pursue this with you because just as convicted to my opinion as I am you are to yours. You are entitled to yours as I am to mine...lets respect each other and leave it at that. One thing I can say that we may agree on and that is about gun control....Media and Government constantly go after people that own guns who are law abiding citizens, when gun violence is perpetrated by those that do not abide by the law and those that are mentally disturbed. How does gun control over those of us that already abide by the law pertain. I just don't trust media and politicians to tell me how to think. Sorry if I got a little winded with my reply.           

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-