Author Topic: Clams. How do I get em' Where do I go?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Xfire2149

Clams. How do I get em' Where do I go?
« on: September 18, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
So I understand clams are a great bait for stripers and they are soon headed this way. Where and how do I get them? Bait shop aside. I'd like to know how to get them on my own without buying them. Now, I'm not opposed to buying them but to put things in perspective I love getting my own live bunker and spearing so clams are a natural part of the process.
I went online today and secured a shellfish license so that part is taken care of. Here's a little tidbit of admin info I learned today and would like to share for those who qualify and don't already know: As I was set to buy a $10 shellfish license I notice the free licenses for NJ residence who are disabled veterans. I have to be one of those so I called the number and the kind lady walked me through the process. I scanned in copies of my VA letter, DD-214, drivers license, and Hunter safety card. I was awarded with nearly $200 worth of free fishing and hunting licenses. Of course I had to fill out a child support affidavit. I'll never make that connection but what the hey.......Where's the clams? Rakes or toes? whats the deal??
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Clams. How do I get em' Where do I go?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 04:22:58 PM »
Can't tell you the best place to get clams because that's not my thing.  When you got your license they should have given you a chart showing where you can and can't harvest clams.

As far as the child support affidavit, it was added on as a way to punish dead beat dads.  I.e., if you don't pay your child support you shouldn't be allowed to spend money on a license to go fishing or hunting.  Probably a better idea in theory than it is in practice.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
ShopRite  ;D

Offline Duffman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »
When you got the license did you get the classification report with it?

If not here it is:http://www.nj.gov/dep/bmw/waterclass.htm

Shows the different areas opened or closed on where to harvest.

Personally, id rather buy than dig, and don't clam in the fall.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:49:10 AM »
I buy mine straight from the clammer in Belford, Reno's the name Clammings his game  t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »
Clamming is more a a spring bait for Stripers.  Live eels work better in the fall along with jigging and trolling t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 08:42:07 AM »
 whs
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline cricker

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »
i do some clamming in great bay and around summers point, it can be alot of work especially when your not sure what sandbars are worth clamming and which ones aren't, i prefer using a rake, also, the hard clams you catch in the bay are a lot smaller than the surf clams you buy, so if your the type that likes to glob on a hunk of bait for stripers you'll probably end up using 2 per bait

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
KMB, but only in the spring

gimme a burley burlap bagfull.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-