Author Topic: Input for Fishfinder GPS combo for Yak ???  (Read 5083 times)

Offline howarda780

Input for Fishfinder GPS combo for Yak ???
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
Just ordered a new kayak and looking for some input on a FF/GPS combo unit.

I have had Garmin and Lowrance and both were decent.  Any feedback appreciated.

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
Re: Input for Fishfinder GPS combo for Yak ???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
 clp
Hello Howard,
   I have a kayak, but i do not use a fish finder/gps.
but give it a few and some people will respond that do use them. one thing to keep in mind, it is going to get WET. so don't spend a fortune on one.
I'M working on fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
Howard...... I think your going to use this unit more for finding depth then anything.

I stay away from any of the units that have everthing in one unit being fish, depth and GPS.

First off is price and if something goes wrong with the unit you loose everything.

I myself only worry about the water Depth because in the kayak I have no clue if I'm in 10 inches or 10 feet and I would never know without the Depth finder.

Kayak-1
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Floatsup

• kayak sails
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »
Hey Howard.
I use a lowrance elite 4 dsi. Extremely pleased with the unit. They also have a great warrenty, and modified the little rubber gasket underneath for access to chart chip. They're fairly reasonable priced. I saw a few go for $165.00.
Good luck
TJ 

Floats Out

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:15:32 AM »
 I install about 50 FF a year on kayaks. Its not so much about what ff but how you install it so its workd right and is trouble free over the years. I myself use a basic cheapo black and white as that shows me the bottom just as well as some guys $500 machine. Depth finders on kayaks are constantly getting wet and beat on. If you break a cheapie it hurts less than wrecking a fancy model. Most common problem is corrosion on the wire ends. Cheap fish finders have cheap transducers so if a power wire or transducer gets ruined its doesn't cost much to put a new one in. Some of the higher technology transducers cost more then the original machine.
 We always keep the sealed battery in a high quality pelican dry box. We always put all fishfinders on a RAM mount. we always mount the transducer in a wad of duc sea. Secure all loose wires and the battery box. Keep the wiring as short as possible by locating everything close together. Use a quality corrosion protector on all wire ends and never remove the fish finder without cutting power off to the wire ends.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
I'm with Barrell, I use a Lowrance X50ds.  Cheap yes but good enough.  Follow the advice offered by Barrell and you should have the device for a long time. 

I use a battery that is meant for emergency lights.  It is sealed and lasts forever as far as run time.  Recharge it and your good to go again in no time.

Most of the time I do not rely on the FF portion but if you do a lot of night time fishing in places you are not sure of it comes in handy to let you know it is shallow enough to stand up in.

Other than that KISS, as it will get wet and corrosion will make its way into the equation.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-