Author Topic: What the fahell was that??  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Xfire2149

What the fahell was that??
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »
Gotta love learning new places and things (including fish and fishing) I spent most the weekend on the boat fishing on the South side of Raritan bay near the Navy pier. Yesterday I was about 2/3 the length of the pier headed for one of the "J" bouys when I saw this enormous fish jump from the water and wiggle in the sky before splashing. I estimate the fish to be 3'-4' and it probably jumped 2'-3' feet in the air. It wasnt a porpoise or dolphin. It looked more like a gamefish. I talked to some locals in Atlantic highlands and they said it is common to see large sturgeon going airborne in the bay this time of year. I've never seen a sturgeon jump so I cant say. Any thoughts???
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
Re: What the fahell was that??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
I agree with what you were told; they were probably the Sturgeon. I have seen them over the past few seasons in late August into September. They jump completely out of the water and super high at that; if you can get up close enough it's beautiful site!

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
Found some pics of jumping sturgeon online. Appearantly people have even been hit by these massive fish. I'm wearing a fishing helmet from now on. West Marine has fishing helmets 30% off right now. rofla
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:13:27 PM by Xfire2149 »
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
They have been around and I've seen them in the past 2 weeks. They have humps behind the dorsal fin.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
 whs
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-