Author Topic: The Trip, of a Lifetime  (Read 3874 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
The Trip, of a Lifetime
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »

The Trip of a Lifetime
When fishing the John's Pass area it's always a good idea to arrive early. You never know what you may see. How about a father, son team teaming up on the hard to fool, delicious eating, hog fish? Mr. Dave Brown (R) is so proud of Jacob Cole and his son Landon. Hog fish on a half day trip. Why not? After all, this is Florida.

That was fun; now it's off to the big time, a 63 hr. 'Deepdrop' adventure into the very heart of the Gulf of Mexico.

Captain Mark Hubbard, along with Captain Bryon, have really done their homework. Captain Mark explains exactly what the game plan looks like. The weather is picture Florida perfect. This is going to be a good one, 'The Trip of a Lifetime.' Will it be? Join us as we find out together.

Mr. Justin Perlow, Sebring, Florida, has gone the 'extra mile.' Justin, caught bait on the 1/2 day boat before leaving on this marathon 63 hour adventure. Will Mr. Perlow's efforts pay off? Only one way to find out!
Three A.M., Let's see if the shallower water, around 225', has anything to offer. Justin, that's a great start:

Mr. Scott Renner, Beavercreek, Ohio:

Looks like the AJ's are ready for breakfast:

Mr. Dave Slattery, Tampa, Florida:

As we hit the 250' depth the American reds are everywhere:

Dave, first an AJ, and now this monster. Your sure are representing Tampa well:

Mr. Hart Buck, let's show the people back in Kansas City what Florida is all about:

Scott, Beavercreek can be proud of you; I know we are. Wonder if this Northerner can catch our grouper? Hope we get the chance to find out:

Justin is a real expert with a jig; mahi & tripletail 

Mr. Ralph Stephens, Clayton, Ohio, that's a porgy to be proud of:

Mr. Aaron Lewis, Dayton, Ohio, that sun-down porgy is a real monster:

We are starved. Here comes chef Tammy with her signature mixed vegetables and chicken Alfredo over angel hair pasta. It just does not get any better than this:

Or does it? 9:30 Friday evening. Let's see if this old ship wreck in 375 feet of water holds any gags that are ready for dinner:
It does:
Mr. Craig Hammock:

Captain Mark Hubbard takes his fishing as seriously as we do. That smile is real:

Mr. Hart Buck, Kansas City, Missouri:

Mr. Paul Buck, Cedar Key, Florida:

K C's Mr Hart Buck (L), Titusville's Mr. Ross Buck (M), and Cedar Key's Mr. Paul Buck (R):

Let's go deep; really deep. Next stop the demise of a huge once proud ship now resting in 844 feet of water. That looks like grouper:

Our bait of choice, squid:

American red snapper, AJ's, and now snowy grouper. Dave, you are representing Tampa very well:

Mr. Dave Graham, Port Richey, Florida:

Sun-up. The heavens are on fire:

Things have slowed down out here. Let's move:
Ever hear of a longtail bass?  Craig & Justin have:

A few years ago, while doing research work for NOAA, Captain Bryon crossed over a 300 by 100 foot sunken barge. The wreck was in 733 feet of water; it really looked fishy. As far as we know it's never been fished. Let's change that:

Mr. Buck, that looks good:

Mr. Ken Carver, that's a nice barrel fish:

Mr. Paul Buck, sir, you are doing Cedar Key proud:

Mr. Justin Perlow, it looks like that, 'extra mile' is really paying off:

Mr. Slattery, American reds, AJ's, and now this. Sir, it's fellow sportsmen like you that make me proud to be a Tampa native:

Mr. Renner, no longer will we, 'Wonder if this Northerner can catch our grouper.' We know you can. It's a good thing Captain Bryon is there to help you:

Mr. Carl Kisner, Sun City, Florida:

Mr. Graham, what a performance; you are a real pro.
Well! It's getting late and we are still over 100 miles from Madeira Beach; let's head home. As Captains Mark & Bryon fire up those two huge diesels our man from Port Richey is just getting started. Over goes the trolling rig. A hit! Dave has jumped a sail fish. Watching one of the prettiest fish in the world leap towards the heavens is a sight never to be forgotten. With the skill of a true professional Mr. David Graham brings the magnificent fish next to the Florida Fisherman. Very carefully Will brings the sail on board:

The hook is removed and this wonder of nature is returned to the sea. instantly the mighty fish dives for home. Well done guys! Very well done indeed.
After a hot shower, and a special 'Jersey girl' Tammy steak dinner, it's time to hit the bunks for the long ride home.
Now that was one quick night.
Early Sunday morning is really special for us. This has been a trip never to be forgotten. And just think, on November 13 we do it all over again.

We will never forget, 'The Trip of a lifetime.'  How could we?

Bob Harbison    Florida Outdoor Writers Asociation

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:55:31 PM by harbison »

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: The Trip, of a Lifetime
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
 t^ ,,,, Another incredible trip Capt. Bob .. chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:09:53 AM »
 cfzd. Wow, great trip,  thanks Bob t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
 t^ Nice trip
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
Wow.. great trip and report!..

Are those AJ's Good Eating.. I caught one in the keys once and was told they weren't

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
Great report  clp clp
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »
 slt  Thanks! 
 Who ever said AJ's are not good eating has never eaten one of our Gulf of Mexico AJ's. They are no snapper or grouper, but, properly prepared they are very tasty. They are good on the grill, and excellent smoked & in dips.

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:10 AM »
In my area down that way, there was a guy who'd collect them and take them to a soup kitchen. A good couple of days fishing for AJ's would give them some where around 100-200lbs.  So, they're always good for something

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »
Another great trip and write up !!!

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Amber jack
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 12:59:41 AM »
 slt Thanks so very much!
 Guess the # 1 reason we like to target AJ's is that they grow huge and give you a fight you will never forget:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:00:45 AM by harbison »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-