Author Topic: Turn back the clock hog hunting  (Read 1432 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Turn back the clock hog hunting
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
Turn back the clock hog hunting
What better way to celebrate a Florida native's seventy third birthday than to 'Turn back the clock' with an old-fashion Florida wild boar hunt? We who are fortunate to call the Sunshine state home are so proud of our tropical wonderland. In 1513 the first European explorer, Juan Ponce de Leon, named what he called this 'Flower Land,' Florida.
Until the mid twentieth century Florida was the least populous Southern state.
My Florida hunting career began in the late nineteen forties. At that time Florida was mostly, 'open range.' In fact, I grew up hunting on the grounds that are now the University of South Florida. Today, things are much different. Florida is the fourth most populous, and the eighth most densely populated, of the entire fifty states.
Is there really any wonder why?

Florida has a very diverse population; two-thirds were born in another state. With 19,552,860 now calling Florida home, an increase of 4% since 2010, it is becoming increasingly more difficult for this Florida native to, 'Turn back the clock.' But it can be done!
I have been hunting the Florida wild boar hog for well over fifty years. The Sunshine state offers thousands of acres of prime public management area hunting lands. However, hunting in areas such as the second largest national forest in the United States, Ocala, can be very crowded. More often than not, a special permit is required. For the past five years I have been hunting the Florida wild boar in an area rich in Florida history, Cedar Key's Tiger Island.
Our journey to 'Turn back the clock;' to hunt in Florida's days of old, begins as we leave highway 19. First up the sleepy little town of Otter Creek. The township of Otter Creek, with a population of 134, is well represented by locally owned and operated Hershel's general store.
My daughter loves this place:

Otter Creek even has its own post office:

There is no batter way to view Florida as it once was than to visit the must see old-fashion fishing village of Cedar Key.

First mapped in 1542, this quaint little town has turned the Florida clam industry into a multi-million dollar fishery. Cedar Key's population of 704 boast of providing the best clam chowder in the country. Cedar Key's importance in Florida history, which began as far back as 1000 BC with pre-Columbian habitation of the region, was recognized on October 3, 1989, by the national Register of Historic Places.
The entire Cedar Key area is rich in both fishing & hunting. After sampling the, 'best clam chowder in the country,' it's time to sample some, 'old-fashion Florida wild boar hunting.'
Joining me in my birthday hunt at Tiger Island is Mr. Rodney Archibald. We are in search of the beast with an attitude, all bad, the dangerous, cunning, wild boar hog. This attitude on four legs comes equipped with a nose that can detect the slightest danger from hundreds of yards away. However, he has one flaw in his armament, his stomach; he is always hungry. Feed him and he will come to you; we hope!
'Hunter's' Natural Pine & Fresh Earth cover scent wafers are not messy, last for years, and do a fine job of defeating the, 'nose.' What better way to 'Turn back the clock' than to use a cowboy, rich in tradition, lever action rifle chambered in the old buffalo 45-70 cartridge.
This 300 Gr. hollow-point, puts them on the ground & keeps them there:

We will be hunting from a natural 'old-fashion' hunting blind:

Our quest for the Florida wild boar begins at sun-up on this cool October morning. It's very calm, but for hours we hear only birds and squirrels. Then, a twig breaks. Could it be? Yes! The biggest wild boar I have ever seen pokes his head out from heavy cover and slowly, every so cautiously, approaches the electric corn feeder 100 feet in front of me. This real man is taking no chances. Will his hunger for corn get the best of him? Will my cover scent wafers defeat his nose?
 After what seems like a life-time, finally, a shot. With the roar of a cannon that mighty 45-70 is on its way. Hog down; down and out.
What a trophy. The hog of my dreams. Tiger Island's own Mr. Crichton Allen (standing) can't believe his eyes. "Job well done, Bob (L); well done indeed:"

This hog among hogs is so big that a winch is needed to pull the monster to the scales:

He is so long that to hit the scales his head must be tied up:
Mr. Crichton Allen, Bob Harbison, and our very experienced guide, Mr. Dustin Gross, Gainesville, Florida, weigh in my birthday hog at a whopping 390 pounds. This 'old-fashion' Florida wild boar hunt turned into the hunt of a life-time.

Not to be left out Rodney shoots his first hog ever, a beautiful, brown,  125 pound wild boar hog:

What better way to celebrate being on this earth for seventy three years than to 'Turn back the clock' with historic Cedar Key's best of the best clam chowder and the hog of one's dreams. Oh! How proud to be a Florida native, to be a part of this, ' Flowery Land.'
Watch the video, hear the 45-70 being cocked, see the impact of that 300 GR. bullet.
    (click on the YouTube link)

Bob Harbison    Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Turn back the clock hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
Happy 73 Birthday Bob,  what a way to celebrate. Congrats on the monster Hog! chrz

Great writeup.. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »
Wow lots of pork chops,Bacon,smoked Ham and sausage.that's hog heaven. t^
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
 clp   Thanks guys!  I will never forget birthday # 73. That hog was by far my personal best. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-