Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 10808 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
What do you think?
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »
Been having a problem when I get hung up black fishing. I loose my top shot.
I thought my Albright knot was pulling out.

So I tied a my power pro to 40lb leader and pulled on it till something gave out. I did this 5 times, even trying new power pro and the same thing happened every time. The power pro broke right at the knot.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:38:08 AM »
I have had the same thing happen to me.  I assume that when using a 60# test top shot and 50# main line it breaks at the weakest point, the knot.  I have started tying a swivel to the braid and a rig to the swivel.  I find it a lot faster to tie a swivel to braid and then add a pre-tied rig when blackfishing.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
I use a swivel also

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
Sounds like a swivel is your best bet, but I have used an Alberto Knot..it is a strong knot and holds well,the draw back is it is a time consuming knot on the water.Normally I don't like using swivels or snaps only because I started out using plugs and didn't want to take away from the action of the artificial bait. In your case a swivel is much more practical for many reasons.
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
Try a Palomar knot  from braid to the swivel then improved clinch knot from mono to swivel. I find them easier to tie with cold wet hands than the Albright knot. Good Luck out there !! t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
I'll put this out there again.  This knot is fairly small, easy to tie and super strong!

Red Phillips Knot

I like another knot for casting because it goes through the guides and levelwind a little easier.  But, for most purposes this one is my favorite. t^
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:26:27 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Duffman

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »
Had it happen many times regardless of knot I use.  The problem is definitely with my knot tying. When the line breaks it looks like the braid is cutting thru the mono at the knot.

How are you guys using a swivel to tie a top shot on?  How does that make it thru the guides and lay on the reel with 20-50 feet of mono lying on top of it?

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
My top-shot is only as long a my rod.

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
Had it happen many times regardless of knot I use.  The problem is definitely with my knot tying. When the line breaks it looks like the braid is cutting thru the mono at the knot.

How are you guys using a swivel to tie a top shot on?  How does that make it thru the guides and lay on the reel with 20-50 feet of mono lying on top of it?

The swivel is not supposed to go threw the guides it can only do damage to them. As wreckfish said his top shot is only as long as the rod tip to the reel or butt end..either way you should never allow terminal tackle to run threw the guides no more then placing a hook in them either. Tie the top shot to the swivel as you would with mono then tie the braid to the other end of the swivel with the prescribed knot used for braid "Berkely,Polymer,Red whatever ???. and its done.

Beside your reel and line the guides on the stick are the moist important part of the fishing tackle. Don't put crap in the guides....other then the fishing line. fngr 
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »
Of course I suck at blackfishing. Maybe you should do the opposite of what I do.  nosmly

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
Of course I suck at blackfishing. Maybe you should do the opposite of what I do.  nosmly

Don't do what I do or you will get even worse.  rgmn

I'll put this out there again.  This knot is fairly small, easy to tie and super strong!

Red Phillips Knot

I like another knot for casting because it goes through the guides and levelwind a little easier.  But, for most purposes this one is my favorite. t^

Thanks Bob I'll give it a try.  t^

I'll let you know how it goes if the weather doesn't mess up the next trip.  rgmn

The wife yells "6 trips this year?" She doesn't count that only 2 went off.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Duffman

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
So if the swivel is at the rod tip, the top shot runs from that to the rig ?  You won't have any mono from the rod tip to the reel?  You lose all the shock absorbing stretch of mono with a big fish at boat side.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
I just checked youtube and it seems there are many variations to the Albright the way guys tie them ..

This video below is the way I tie it..going 6 to 7 turns up the line and the same back down over the first set of wraps...and back through the loop at the end the same way the line came through in the first place...

Strong knot.. and has never failed for me Rick...

I'm tying it with 65 pound briad to 60 pound top shot on my rods...

Hope that helps  t^

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »
I havnt had that happen yet 5hrug. I use 60lb power pro. 50 lb berkley big game top shot (Belmar Rig) and 60 lb berkley or flouro to snell the hooks. My thinking is Id rather the top shot break opposed to my braid so thats why I use heavier braid, and 9 out of 10 times I get hung up its the sinker, so thats why I use heavier line to snell so if the sinker gets hung up i can still either get the fish to the boat or break the sinker loose and keep my hooks.

I tie the same way as kenny but I use 12 wraps  t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
I did a little more poking around youtube..

This video shows the ablright knot..Difference between the two is that this video shows the wraps only going down one way...The improved version shows wraps first up then back down over the original set...

The video I showed in my last post showed the Improved Albright knot ( The one I use )

One thing I noticed after reading your post again Rick is that the line broke when you pulled on it...

That's good news...some things gota break if you pull hard enough...the knot didn't pull...

what is the line test of your braid and top shot...are the equal ?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:41:50 PM by Kenny »

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
I don't have a problem with the knot. The line breaks right at the top shot knot. The knot does not move, its still on the top shot.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
The braid or the mono breaks ?

And what test power pro vs what test mono...are the close or equal in line test ?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:02:27 PM by Kenny »

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
Whenever I've had breaks, it's 95% of the time it's at the knot.  The knot is your weakest point.  So my question would be, is it breaking near the breaking point?  I've had up and downs with power pro as far as breaking points and I wouldn't be surprised if you have line from a bad batch.  I'm trying to test a new brand of braid and mono when next season comes around since I'm due for a respooling

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
The braid or the mono breaks ?

And what test power pro vs what test mono...are the close or equal in line test ?

The braid breaks right at the knot. You still the knot on the mono.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-