Author Topic: waders  (Read 1953 times)

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
waders
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »
i'm in the market for my first pair of waders.....any input from you seasoned professionals would be greatly appreciated. i've seem neoprene, rubber, canvas, .....what's the best for the money, i'm a surf fisherman primarily, so i need to know what's best for that.

thanks
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: waders
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »
the type of material is all about preference.. do you want durability, flexability, light weight, heavy weight, etc..  I would reccommend though, I like a full bib wader with boots attached, and make sure you get a good belt.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 03:27:31 PM »
If you're going to be fishing late into the seasonw here the water gets cold go for the neoprenes. Other option would be a pair of breathables.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 04:01:36 PM »
Different folks like different types.  I'll give you my opinion, but first here are a couple options.

Boot styles:

For wading from the surf I would recommend a bootfoot model (boots attached)with a lug sole.  The stocking foot models, where the boots go over the waders are very comfortable, but I don't prefer them in the surf.  They are more for trout streams and the like.  The reason is that, even with gravel guards, the constantly shifting sand eventually works its way into the boot.  Not only is this uncomfortable, but it wears away at the wader material around your foot.

As you look at the different models of waders, be sure to check out the insulation rating of the boot.  They normally range from 200 grams to 1200 grams of "Thinsulate" or a similar insulating material.  Obviously the higher the number, the warmer the boot. 

Don't worry if you like a pair with a lower insulation rating.  You can always buy them a bit bigger so that you can wear one or two pair of wool or wool-type socks underneath.  I normally wear a polypropylene sock liner under a heavy pair of SmartWool, Ingenious, or similar high quality hiking/hunting sock.

Waders:

As for the waders themselves.  Here's a brief rundown.

Neoprene: These waders are like a wetsuit material.  They insulate well against the cold.  You can buy these in different thicknesses (e.g. 3mm, 5mm etc.)  The thicker the neoprene, the more insulation they provide.  They generally fit tighter to the body than other styles.  If you are going for fashion and you've got a bit of a beer belly, you may want to stay away from these.  Not a good look!  Price range: $100 and up

Breathable:  These are by far the lightest material.  They fit looser than other types.  The uppers don't provide any insulation, but because they afford you more room than neoprenes you can layer underneath with some polypropylene thermals and a good pair of fleece pants.  These cost more than most.  Usually $140 and up.

3-Ply or similar styles:  As the name implies these are made of three layers.  Normally it is a nylon outer, a rubber middle layer, and a nylon lining.  These are loose fitting (like the breathables) but are heavier.  They hold up pretty well (due to the nylon outer) and don't cost all that much.  They retail for around $60 and up.

All rubber:  These are the least expensive.  I would not recommend these unless you don't plan on using them too much.  They are typically one or two ply (with a cotton liner) and the seams are not usually sealed all that well.  Most of the time you will have to purchase your own suspenders for them (most of the others have attached suspenders).  You can usually get a pair of rubber waders for $30 and up, plus a pair of suspenders for $10-$15.

I've owned rubber, neoprene, and 3-ply.  For now my personal preference is the 3-ply.  They are economical and fit me well.  The neoprenes are just too snug for my liking and the breathables are just outside my price range.  My next pair will more than likely be breathables. 

When going in to purchase your waders, make sure you try them on at the store to see what feels right to you.

Pics (top to bottom):  Neoprene, Breathable, 3-Ply, and Rubber waders.

Good Luck! ;D

-Bob

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »
Nice post Bob.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
I just bought a pair of waders from Betty & Nicks, Simms breathable at a decent price.  I needed something easy to take on and off and found a light weight pair there $79.00 not bad.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-