Author Topic: Winter Storm Sunday-Monday-Tuesday/Nor'Easter  (Read 10667 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Winter Storm Sunday-Monday-Tuesday/Nor'Easter
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »
As the midnight models come in they continue to paint a major Winter Storm for the Northeast, including most of the state. As the low comes out of Canada/Upper Great Lakes it dips down much farther south than previous forecasts depicted, picking up moisture in the South. As it moves east, chances of snow are possible starting as early as Sunday Night. The low will then exit into the Atlantic where it is forecast to intensify and track enough off the coast that the region sees all snow, but still close enough to bring large amounts of snow. The storm could stall off the coast or at minimum will be a slower mover, allowing the accumulation to occur. The bulk of the storm looks like it will take place later/late Monday into Tuesday Morning, now.

Snow totals will increase from south to northeast, with coastal areas seeing 10-24+ inches of accumulation. Northern and Northwestern NJ were safe earlier today, but as it stands now, there is a high possibility of large snows. Official forecasts are extremely conservative and have not been updated. Worst case scenarios/maximums are even on the low side when considering the various model outputs tonight, which have all trended snowier, colder and stronger. These forecasts always change, so updates tomorrow will be crucial in final calls before the snow starts falling. As everyone knows, I don't always like to concentrate on set numbers, rather the impact and if this is going to be minor, moderate or major. As of tonight, this is a major Winter Storm with possibilities of accompanied high winds, creating blizzard conditions. Behind this system, frigid air will move in as well, with lows down into the single digits possible and wind chills below zero. Should I mention the possibility of another system on Thursday/Friday?!

Below are official forecasts, briefings and graphics:

NWS Briefing

Snowfall Totals Forecast

Maximum Forecast Totals

Storm Tracks

Models

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Updated Snowfall Totals NWS PHI
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:55:01 AM »
Winter Storm Watches have been issued for all Counties served by NWS PHI. PHI has also updated their Snowfall Total Forecast. I expect NWS NYC to follow soon. These are the snow amounts I was referencing earlier for Monday Late into Tuesday. These amounts could really be on the conservative side as well!

Be safe!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Winter Storm Sunday-Monday-Tuesday/Nor'Easter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:10:13 AM »
So, what you are saying is...Saturday was a teaser.  thud
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »
Uh Boy...

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:20:16 PM »
So, what you are saying is...Saturday was a teaser.  thud

s5r

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Winter Storm Sunday Update
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
No big changes right now...update to come around 4:30 PM today give or take. Blizzard Watches issued for Eastern NJ Counties from Ocean County north into NYC. Storm Watches and Storm Warnings have been issued for Atlantic Ocean Waters with Gale Warnings for inshore coastal waters.

Stay tuned... ;D

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Winter Storm Sunday Full Update
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:23:11 PM »
Well, many (including myself) are not going to like this! However, if you like snow and being snowed in, this forecast is for you.

Not many changes, except some increased snowfall totals. Winter Storm Warnings, Blizzard Warnings and Storm Warnings (for marine waters) have been issued. Here is the run down. A clipper will move southeast out of the Upper Great Lakes/Canada moving into the region at some point tonight. This will bring round 1 of snow to the state. This could be in the form of rain to a mix or snow, with accumulations around an inch to a few inches max. A mix with ice or any unforecasted freezing rain or icing will be worse than any snow that will fall. Round 2 will begin by Monday Afternoon with the heaviest snow later on Monday into Monday Night and Tuesday. Round 2 will consist of the clipper low pressure system getting out over the ocean and transitioning into a coastal storm. Here, rapid intensification will occur and a very slow moving system will gradually move northeast. Round 2 will have these massive amounts of snow accumulation and blizzard conditions, as well as very cold air behind the system moving in. Round 2 could be prolonged and last up to 36 hours or a little more! Statewide snowfall totals are coming in from 10-36 inches of accumulation. Monmouth and Middlesex Counties look to be the jackpot with the 36 inches possible. Maximum totals could easily extend from 24-48 inches if there is any over-performance or extra stalling by this system.

In addition to snow, this is a very strong Nor'Easter with central pressures approaching 980 mb off of the NJ Coast. This is equal to a weak to moderate hurricane. There will be high winds to 50+ mph along the coast, moderate coastal flooding with surge and tides running 3 feet above normal and a foot over High Astronomical Tides (HAT), high and rough surf and beach erosion.

This is a MAJOR Winter Storm! With snowfall totals in these amounts statewide we can anticipate a State of Emergency and possibly travel restrictions. It will be unlikely that you will be able to travel by later Monday and almost certain by Tuesday. Even if roads are passable, white out conditions from blowing snow will happen. Streets could go unplowed for several days, so plan accordingly. Also, being stranded on the highway, stuck in snow, is extremely dangerous and could be deadly. Make your plan now and stick with it. Loss of electricity is possible, especially in coastal areas that see high winds and wetter/heavier snow.

Be safe and hope for a busted forecast ;D! Any pertinent updates to follow.

NWS PHI Briefing

NWS NYC Briefing

Storm Track

Forecast Snowfall Totals

Snow Minimums

Snow Maximums

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
Right now any way you look at it, it's going to be a bad one. I can't put a lot of stock on weather reports considering there track record. Looking at the map however it doesn't look good if everything comes together as predicted. SNOW PLOW IS ON!! chains & weights are the order of the day. fcp nosmly. Did I mention, I hate this crap!!! The only good side of this, for me is. I don't have to go to work ;D RETIREMENT YES! TT^
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »
The only good side of this, for me is. I don't have to go to work Grin RETIREMENT YES! thumbsup2

Irish Ayes Dictionary:

RETIREMENT - Noun - Meaning - Every day is Saturday.  rofla rofla rofla
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 05:39:54 AM »
I've got to get the milk and Bread!   Beer too! :P
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 07:16:42 AM »
I've got to get the milk and Bread!   Beer too! :P

Wife and I went to Shop Rite in Freehold yesterday at 2:30pm The place was a complete madhouse. My wife was actually trying to do regular shopping...BAD IDEA! nosmly She told me that the storm was all that the people were talking about. Why do people panic whenever there is snow coming? ??? Guess there will be a rush on all the banks for cash too. ::) Better get our azzes there before the money runs out. rofla
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:36 AM »
It's better to have the stuff you need than not if you're going to be stuck inside for a few days.  Especially if they call a State of Emergency and restrict the roads to "essential" people only.

By the way, I was in my Shoprite this morning and it was very well stocked. t^

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »
Let us not lose sight of the fact that when the TV forecaster's were calling for 1"-3" or 4" to 6" ,it was Our very own resident meteorologist "Matt" ,was calling for 12" plus .Hats off to Matt . slt

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
Shop Rites are usually pretty well stocked. State of emergency ???Hmmmm. Isn't food included in a state of emergency? ;) ;D

Matt t^ Great call Bro.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »
That's because Matt hits you with the $ hit not the shovel
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Monday Quick Update
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »
Thank you!

Things are pretty much unchanged and at this point it is past forecast and becomes a nowcast. Some of the models last night and even this morning went east with the storm bringing snowfall totals down some...but still a major storm. Coastal NJ from Ocean County north and Northeastern NJ were still in for excessive snowfall. Other models, stuck with their initial solutions of track, intensity and snowfall. If you follow the trend, the models that have stuck with their solution are historically more correct. These flopping models have a history of going back and forth and ultimately ending up back where they started. What this means...a major snowstorm no matter how you play the cards!

The center of low pressure has exited the Carolinas and is over the Atlantic. It appears to me, that the low is west of the forecast track (which was updated this morning and went farther east). This would be on track with the initial solutions and would bring the big storm being talked about. Current pressures are already a few mb lower than forecast as well and the storm is beginning to get an almost tropical like eye separating the cold and warm sectors, barely noticeable on satellite. This indicates a strengthening, which was anticipated. Watching these surface analyses and satellite images over the next few hours will really determine the storm, however the storm will be upon us by then! So, it is a "get what you get" kind of catch 22.

Wind gusts have already picked up along the coast out of the northeast. Snow is falling ahead of the storm in many areas. Temperatures will be dropping and most areas are already below freezing. Air aloft will also become colder supporting higher conversions of water to snow. Only some coastal areas and some southern locations have surface temperatures above freezing still. What I haven't mentioned is the 20 foot swells for the ocean waters with 6-8 foot wind waves on top of that cfzd!

Here are the latest briefings. Any major changes, I will forward them along. Still working on the Outlook in between following this storm.

Thanks again!!

NWS PHI Briefing

NWS NYC Briefing
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:31:19 PM by Pfishingruven »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
 t^

[youtube=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nWltlKn2vc&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688[/youtube]

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
HotRod: that is the best... hhppy rofla

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
 rofla

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Emergency Travel Ban
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
In addition to the State of Emergency an Emergency Travel Ban has been signed into affect starting at 11 PM tonight (Monday January 26, 2015)!

Travel Ban

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-