Author Topic: To My Smoking Friends..  (Read 141141 times)

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: To My Smoking Friends..
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 11:48:12 PM »
 t^
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »
Still at 3 Cigs since Sunday t^  2 days straight with none..  with really no urge to have one t^

Fact is.  One here or there isn't going to do anything for me..( I proved that with the few I had this week).. So it's ether this.. or I go back to smoking 2 packs a day.. and I don't want to do that..

Two packs a day, that's $5840.00 a year. Man that is a lot of fuel for the boat. I know I could use that extra pocket change myself. slt
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 12:59:41 PM »
Just ordered my starter kit. Going to give it a try!
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »

Thats what I did last week, no commitment to convert, just to try it out... so far I am glad I did.

I still have the feeling that I am missing something, but its not bad. Main thing is after trying the vapor pen, regular cigs taste awful, and I mean awful. It really is like licking an ashtray.

Just went into my truck this morning and can't believe how bad it smelled. Had to scrub the interior down and lysol the crap out of it. Sad to think before this week I never even noticed it. All my jackets I used to go out and smoke with (we don't smoke in the house) had to be washed cause the smell was horrible.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
clp clp

In the beginning.. if you want to have a cig.. have one.. you will start seeing like Greg said they taste like Sh1t..   Just make sure you have enough Juice and Tips on hand..  If the tip goes bad.. which it does in about 4-5 bottle or you run out of juice.. it will be like running out of Cigs..  

Enjoy has some great Coupon codes.  once you see that it's your goto thing..  make sure your stocked up t^  

Also changing Juice is like changing to a different brand of Cigs..  So one you like what you bought.. there is no going into a Vape store and buying some..  they do have places like 7-11 that sell it.  but a bottle there is 8$ with tax.  where you can get it on line for about 4$ with their coupon codes t^
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:01:41 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

clp

Good luck Brother...

After reading all this ...will be getting one very soon...been smoking since 7th grade ( 12 years old )...im 52...that's 40 years of smoking... thud

Time to make the purchase...stay tuned !!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
I had to...    ovrbt

;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:00:39 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
Bob.. that is unjustified,,  This is a good topic.. smk

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »
Hmm...Definitely a good topic, and without a doubt will help a lot of friends give up those nasty cancer sticks.

BUT, as the founder of NJSWF once said to me, "What does that have to do with fishing?"   nts

Just bustin' ya Rod.  This is good stuff!  Keep it up! t^
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:02:22 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 08:13:58 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging remarks men.
I did buy my usual 2 packs today 
also bought the vuse vapor kit also been using it more than lighting up so far.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »
Hmm...Definitely a good topic, and without a doubt will help a lot of friends give up those nasty cancer sticks.

BUT, as the founder of NJSWF once said to me, "What does that have to do with fishing?"   nts

Just bustin' ya Rod.  This is good stuff!  Keep it up! t^
   t^

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 09:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging remarks men.
I did buy my usual 2 packs today 
also bought the vuse vapor kit also been using it more than lighting up so far.

awesome, you'll be liking the vape pen more and more.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
Guess I'll need to install a mass USB charging bank on the Phyllis Ann this year t^   We be like my batteries dead give me a battery ;D

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
We be like my batteries dead give me a battery ;D

"We be like?"  You be living in Trenton too long. ;D

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
Some information to consider.  This suggests that vaping is not without it's own health risks. 

I am happy to see my friends give up tobacco completely (Ah! To breathe the fresh, clean, ocean air on the Phyllis Ann!) ;D  and I hope that using the e-cigs temporarily can help you all do that. t^

E-Cigarette Vapor Shown To Repress Immune System

IFL SCIENCE!
February 9, 2015 | by Lisa Winter

Electronic cigarettes have boomed into a $2 billion per year industry since 2007, with claims that they are a safer alternative to traditional smoking. That may be so, in the same way that getting hit in the head with a baseball bat is safer than getting thrown off of a building, but it doesn’t mean that e-cigs are inherently safe. In fact, a new paper published in PLOS ONE by lead author Thomas Sussan from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health has found that mice who were exposed to e-cig vapor had weaker immune systems than those who did not.

"Our findings suggest that e-cigarettes are not neutral in terms of the effects on the lungs,” senior author Shyam Biswal said in a press release. "We have observed that they increase the susceptibility to respiratory infections in the mouse models. This warrants further study in susceptible individuals, such as COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease] patients who have switched from cigarettes to e-cigarettes or to new users of e-cigarettes who may have never used cigarettes.”

The study sorted mice into two groups: one was exposed to vapor from Njoy electronic cigarettes for two weeks, and the other breathed only fresh air. The mice didn’t only breathe vapor for two weeks; the exposure was adjusted to mimic the dose that a human would receive by vaping during that timespan. Next, subgroups were created within the vapor and fresh air groups. The first group was exposed to Influenza A, the next was exposed to the pneumonia-causing bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae, and the third group was not given any illness-causing microbes.

The mice that had been exposed to e-cig vapor had infections that were much more severe than their fresh air-breathing counterparts, indicating a weakened immune response. For some of the mice, these infections were lethal. Further investigation into the mice revealed physiological changes that had occurred in the models.

"E-cigarette vapor alone produced mild effects on the lungs, including inflammation and protein damage," Sussan explained. "However, when this exposure was followed by a bacterial or viral infection, the harmful effects of e-cigarette exposure became even more pronounced. The e-cigarette exposure inhibited the ability of mice to clear the bacteria from their lungs, and the viral infection led to increased weight loss and death indicative of an impaired immune response.”

Traditional cigarette smoke contains over 400 toxins, over 60 of which are known carcinogens. Instead of burning tobacco and inhaling toxins through smoke like ordinary cigarettes, an electronic cigarette produces a nicotine aerosol vapor for users to inhale. Though the lack of burning prevents some chemicals from being released, there are still a number of free radicals introduced into the body that can alter DNA and have cancer-causing effects.

"We were surprised by how high that number was, considering that e-cigarettes do not produce combustion products," Sussan concluded. "Granted, it's 100 times lower than cigarette smoke, but it's still a high number of free radicals that can potentially damage cells.”

More study is needed on this subject to fully understand the effect of e-cigarettes on the body, and how it could contribute to disease. E-cigarettes really hit the market about seven years ago, and quickly fell into favor with former smokers of tobacco cigarettes. In 2013, it was reported that more teenagers had tried e-cigarettes than had tried traditional cigarettes, which makes it incredibly important to know what the real risks to these kids will be.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/e-cigarette-vapor-shown-repress-immune-system

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
 Thanks Bob.

I'm certain vaping can not be good for you, it's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Basically I can get sicker than a non smoker, which I do now anyways, and I'll lose some extra weight, although that may not be a bad point.

,,,,,But for now they are still 100 times healthier,, if something bad for you can be considered as such.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
 Fourth day vaping (yesterday), was smoke free. Didn't even have an urge for a smoke the whole day. I even had to scrub the crap out of my truck to try and get rid of some of the stench I never noticed before.

Today is smoke free so far to, although I did have an urge for a cig on my way to work this morning and I blame it on the ice stressing me a wee bit.

Today I was hanging in the smoke shack on break, which is just a bus stop enclosure with the group of smokers. Let me tell ya, they stunk the place up, but I did not feel the urge to have a cig, even surrounded by smokers in a small space. I'm content with my vaping.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »
 t^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »
Did Bob just play the dryer sheet card ??     fngr

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2015, 05:48:19 PM »
Some information to consider.  This suggests that vaping is not without it's own health risks. 

I am happy to see my friends give up tobacco completely (Ah! To breathe the fresh, clean, ocean air on the Phyllis Ann!) ;D  and I hope that using the e-cigs temporarily can help you all do that. t^

E-Cigarette Vapor Shown To Repress Immune System

IFL SCIENCE!
February 9, 2015 | by Lisa Winter

Electronic cigarettes have boomed into a $2 billion per year industry since 2007, with claims that they are a safer alternative to traditional smoking. That may be so, in the same way that getting hit in the head with a baseball bat is safer than getting thrown off of a building, but it doesn’t mean that e-cigs are inherently safe. In fact, a new paper published in PLOS ONE by lead author Thomas Sussan from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health has found that mice who were exposed to e-cig vapor had weaker immune systems than those who did not.

"Our findings suggest that e-cigarettes are not neutral in terms of the effects on the lungs,” senior author Shyam Biswal said in a press release. "We have observed that they increase the susceptibility to respiratory infections in the mouse models. This warrants further study in susceptible individuals, such as COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease] patients who have switched from cigarettes to e-cigarettes or to new users of e-cigarettes who may have never used cigarettes.”

The study sorted mice into two groups: one was exposed to vapor from Njoy electronic cigarettes for two weeks, and the other breathed only fresh air. The mice didn’t only breathe vapor for two weeks; the exposure was adjusted to mimic the dose that a human would receive by vaping during that timespan. Next, subgroups were created within the vapor and fresh air groups. The first group was exposed to Influenza A, the next was exposed to the pneumonia-causing bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae, and the third group was not given any illness-causing microbes.

The mice that had been exposed to e-cig vapor had infections that were much more severe than their fresh air-breathing counterparts, indicating a weakened immune response. For some of the mice, these infections were lethal. Further investigation into the mice revealed physiological changes that had occurred in the models.

"E-cigarette vapor alone produced mild effects on the lungs, including inflammation and protein damage," Sussan explained. "However, when this exposure was followed by a bacterial or viral infection, the harmful effects of e-cigarette exposure became even more pronounced. The e-cigarette exposure inhibited the ability of mice to clear the bacteria from their lungs, and the viral infection led to increased weight loss and death indicative of an impaired immune response.”

Traditional cigarette smoke contains over 400 toxins, over 60 of which are known carcinogens. Instead of burning tobacco and inhaling toxins through smoke like ordinary cigarettes, an electronic cigarette produces a nicotine aerosol vapor for users to inhale. Though the lack of burning prevents some chemicals from being released, there are still a number of free radicals introduced into the body that can alter DNA and have cancer-causing effects.

"We were surprised by how high that number was, considering that e-cigarettes do not produce combustion products," Sussan concluded. "Granted, it's 100 times lower than cigarette smoke, but it's still a high number of free radicals that can potentially damage cells.”

More study is needed on this subject to fully understand the effect of e-cigarettes on the body, and how it could contribute to disease. E-cigarettes really hit the market about seven years ago, and quickly fell into favor with former smokers of tobacco cigarettes. In 2013, it was reported that more teenagers had tried e-cigarettes than had tried traditional cigarettes, which makes it incredibly important to know what the real risks to these kids will be.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/e-cigarette-vapor-shown-repress-immune-system

That may or may not be substantiated as far as humans are concerned, and a lot of these so called scientific studies are found to be wrong down the road. Like those on eggs and milk and so on.

I'm not really taking sides in this discussion because I have my own opinion on quitting smoking,and Ill keep it to myself. Because these guys are doing something to get off the habit,and that is a move in the right direction.

Me I quit cold turkey after 30 years,but that doesn't mean everyone can do that.

Enlighten me please. What is with the Bounce dryer sheet?   
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-