Author Topic: Rehab of an old boat pole  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
Rehab of an old boat pole
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
Well here goes another rod rehab. This one was a two piece w/wood butt handle and I am making it a one piece by using a one piece reel seat and doweling the blank to the Butt. So new Reel seat,Tip top and guides and perhaps some marbling that fill has taught me to do. This is going to be a experimental/practice rod.

This whole thing started out to be just one repair to an older rod and now it's been three repairs or should I say complete rebuilds, and one new rod for my wife. I'm really liking this hobby especially rebuilding the older rods. It's nice to see how they turn out.

Maybe Phil and I can do a joint rod build some time, what ya have to say Phil? ;D   
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline Eng 94

Re: Rehab of an old boat pole
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:13:29 PM »
Some pictures of the old boat rod before rehab.

I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:25:23 PM »
 t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
Nice project Joe t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
I center bored the wood handle yesterday getting it ready for the dowel, I'm using a 7/16" Birch dowel to connect the blank to the butt handle, then I will install a reel seat over the connection making it doubly strong. I have also removed the cork fore grip and I am replacing it with a EVA tapered fore grip. I'm not staying true to the period of the rod because I want to see if I can make a nicer inshore rod out of it. Also I want to make it my own custom rod, this is a good rod to experiment with.   

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
It didn't take you long to get good at building rods Joe, nice work  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »
It didn't take you long to get good at building rods Joe, nice work  t^

Good? That's a matter of opinion. I'm still learning from OJT and Phil. I am enjoying it though.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »
I've considered getting into the rod building, I have a hand wrapper made. Just not sure If I want another extension of my addiction  ;D
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »
I've considered getting into the rod building, I have a hand wrapper made. Just not sure If I want another extension of my addiction  ;D

I like the results that I am getting so far, and I have to stay busy or Ill go nuts. I want to learn as much as this old brain of mine will allow. I just have to perfect some new ideas.

In my mind there is nothing better then building your own rod and fishing with it especially when you catch something. TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-