Author Topic: Late Hallie Loren/ Hi-Mar Striper Tournament Report 5/16/15  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Had the opportunity to fish the Hi-Mar Striper Tourney this Saturday with Eddie (Hunter 2), Capt. Joe (Irish Ayes), Al (BigAl13), Johnny Oz and Bob S. on Eddie's boat, Hallie Loren.  The tournament format called for most combined weight of two fish.

We left the slip around 6am and Eddie took us to the bunker pods.  We snagged a few, but Capt. Joe made the biggest contribution with the cast net throwing skills.  After filling the livewell with bunker we set out to find the stripers.

The striper fishing had been tough (and today was no different).  Eddie put us on some good spots where we livelined bunker.  At first we had a lot of bluefish chomping our live baits (and my plastic ones) in half.  We came tight with a few and landed some, but mostly we were just being harassed by the yellow eyed demons.  

Finally, Joe's unweighted bunker came crashing to the surface with a striper hot on it's tail.  It took a few minutes before the striper got it in it's mouth, but when it did it was game on!  Joe set the hook and we put our first fish in the box! It was a fat fish that looked around 20 lbs.

After toying with the bluefish for a little while longer, Eddie made the call to go on the troll.  Out came the Tony Maja bunker spoon rods (shameless plug), the bunker spoons, and a Stretch 25.  We tried a few spots with nothing to show for it until Eddie found life again.  Mostly more bluefish until one of the bunker spoon rods came tight with our second striper.

Bob S. grabbed the rod and reeled in our second keeper striper and Al Put the net under it.  Another decent fish.

We didn't see another striper for the rest of the day, but at least we had our two and we headed for the weigh-in station.

Final result was one 18 lbs and one 18.6 lbs, for a total weight of 36.6 lbs.  We finished just outside the top five.  Official Results Here
It was a great day getting out on the water with some good friends and some great fishermen.  Eddie worked hard all day to put us on the fish, and was a great host (as always).  Al did a terrific job of playing first mate (even though I think he scared away a lot of fish with his "secret sauce")  ;D  Always great to fish with Johnny Oz and Capt. Joe.  And it was great meeting and fishing with Bob S. as well.

Thanks for the invitation Eddie.  It was a much needed day on the water for me. t^
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:50:48 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: Late Hallie Loren/ Hi-Mar Striper Tournament Report 5/16/15
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
Great trip and write up !! 

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the report Bob. It was tough locating the Stripers.   It was a fun day fishing with the crew. Everyone gave 100%.  chrz  Congrats to the winners.  t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
Sounded like a great time!!  t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:02 PM »
Hell of an effort guys, nice to bring two to the scales and have a great time together.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:49 PM »
Great write up Bob I had a blast. Thanks again Eddie for putting it together. Joe for catching the bait. Can wait to do it again
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:27:40 AM »
With this crew how could it be anything but fun? Lotsa laffs, Lotsa bites. Unfortunately most were from the blue fish and not the stiped ones. But we did manage to get enough to weigh in.

Thanks for the hard work Eddie on the helm and Al's mating skill all day.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
 t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
Sure you guys did every right ,fish just haven't been co-operating . 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »
With the craziness in the marine weather and the water temps bouncing all over the place many boats got zip.

I was listening to the marine VHF portable hand held I carried yesterday to get rid of the boredom of not watching hardly any fish being caught during the tournament at IBSP.

Good going guys.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
 chrz t^ chrz
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-