Author Topic: When only trophies are good enough  (Read 2493 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
When only trophies are good enough
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:04:51 AM »
When only trophies are good enough
When fishing in Gulf waters approaching 1,000 feet in depth, the fish tend to be
super-sized. Last Sunday morning, after completing a three day deep-drop trip, the Florida Fisherman ll docked with fish boxes stuffed with trophy grouper.

Florida is well known for huge fish and plenty of them. But what about trophy hunting?. Many Florida counties, such as Madison, regularly score very high on massive Boone & Crockett deer. Want something even bigger and meaner? Try wild boar hunting. This monster often weighs hundreds of pounds and comes with an attitude, all bad. His instinct for survival is outstanding. The wild boar's number one defense is his nose. He can easily detect danger from hundreds of yards away. Defeat his nose and the experienced hunter will have a much better chance of harvesting that trophy of a life time. Cover scent wafers by hunter's are inexpensive, not messy, and last for years. They work very well. Hogs love to play in the dirt..'Fresh Earth' wafers work well, as do 'natural Pine.'  The wafers can be pinned to one's cap:

Our wild hog does have one major flaw in his armor; he is always hungry. Electric corn feeders do an outstanding job of attracting and holding the beast:

For those who do not have a great deal of time to scout, set up and maintain feeders, and build a blind, the Sunshine state has many very good outfitters who offer excellent hunting  at a reasonable cost. They do all the work; we have all the fun. Perry Florida's Two guys and a hog is recognized as one of the best. Is it? 'When only trophies are good enough' can they deliver? Let's go see.

First let's settle into our cute little bunkhouse. A quick nap is in order. We want to be at our best.

Wow!  Those pictures are impressive. Let's go trophy hog hunting:

Now that's a nice two story blind. I will tale the bottom floor:

Let's set up a video camera and share or experience with fellow hunters. Hogs, hogs everywhere:

Now that one is approaching trophy size. Those cutters are impressive:

Let's pass and look for an even bigger 'boss man.'
Well, no 'big boss' this evening. Three different groups visited our feeder. Some were well over 125 pounds, but we want a real trophy.
Early Wednesday morning; this swampy area is known for monster hogs. We are ready.

Off at a distance we spot three real trophy boars, but they give us absolutely no chance at a shot; they are on the run. Looks like they did not get that big by mistake, they have. us patterned. Finally one monster stops and looks back. Big, really big, mistake. That Marlin 45-70 put him down. Watch, listen to, the shot 3:38 minutes into the video at the end of this report.

This wild Florida boar is big, really big. Our guide, Francisco, had to use a sled and a four wheeler to get the monster out of the swamp:

Francisco Meregildo & his dad Octavio are so proud of me and my huge boar.

Francisco was born in Guatemala. The people of this Central American country are proud of their rich culture characterized by its indigenous Mayan influences that include colorful textiles and art work:

My massive boar is much bigger than Francisco. It hit the scales at a whopping two hundred ninety pounds. Mr. Francisco Meregildo, guide superb:

'When only trophies are good enough,' two guys and a hog delivered. Now that's some serious cutters:

Francisco Meregildo (L), and a very proud Bob Harbison

Like fishing or hunting better; why choose? 'When only trophies are good enough' the Sunshine state can provide the best of both worlds.

Want to see what a corn feeder is capable of doing? Want to see wild hogs doing what they do best?  Click on the Youtube link to see it all:

Bob Harbison   Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: When only trophies are good enough
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:53 AM »
 cfzd
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
 TT^
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »
Awesome fishing t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Snapper Fishing
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »
 slt   Thanks! Immediately after my trophy hog hunt I decided to try snapper fishing 100 miles off Madeira Beach, Florida. Did really well:

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-