Author Topic: Stop Rutgers Seismic Testing!  (Read 14886 times)

Offline njdiver

DEP Release: Christie Administration Seeks Federal Court Ruling to Sto
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
IMMEDIATE RELEASE
 June 5, 2015
 Bob Considine (609) 292-2994
 Caryn Shinske (609) 984-1795

CHRISTIE ADMINISTRATION SEEKS FEDERAL COURT RULING TO STOP SEISMIC RESEARCH PROJECT

STATE ARGUES PROJECT WILL HARM FISH AND MARINE MAMMAL POPULATIONS IN STUDY AREA OFF LONG BEACH ISLAND

(15/P54) TRENTON - The Christie Administration today filed a complaint in U.S. District Court arguing that a federally funded research project using strong seismic blasts to map ocean sediment deposits should be stopped because it will adversely impact economically vital commercial and recreational fisheries and harm marine mammals.

The complaint filed by the Attorney General's Office this morning in U.S. District Court in Trenton argues the project violates federal laws protecting marine animals and requests the National Science Foundation (NSF) to perform an area-specific environmental impact study before proceeding any further.

Rutgers University, the NSF's contractor, launched the project this week, despite objections from Governor Christie, state and federal lawmakers, and advocacy groups.

"We are not going to give up this fight," Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bob Martin said. "It is extremely disappointing that the federal government is moving ahead with this misguided project despite widespread objection from all quarters and without regard to the negative impacts on New Jersey.

"Starting the project now, with the summer tourism and fishing seasons shifting into full gear, is simply wrong," Commissioner Martin added. "We must take no chances when it comes to protecting our ocean resources, our commercial and recreational fishing industries, and our state's $42 billion tourism economy, which depends heavily on the shore."

The State's action today follows a letter Commissioner Martin sent this week to NSF Director Dr. France A. Córdova "strongly condemning" the project and asserting that the "timing of the study callously disregards the welfare of our coastal resources and all of the people whose jobs depend on the health of those resources."

Commercial and recreational fishing support about $1 billion in revenues in New Jersey. The testing is being done in federal waters in a 230-square-mile area southeast of Long Beach Island, an area well-established for fishing. Among the many species of fish that are available off the Jersey coast in the summer are bluefish, black sea bass, summer flounder, black drum, herring and mackerel.

Those who have publicly expressed strong opposition to the project include U.S. Senator Cory Booker, U.S., Representative Frank Pallone, State Senate President Stephen M. Sweeney, Clean Ocean Action, the Marine Mammal Stranding Center, the Recreational Fishing Alliance, the Jersey Coast Anglers Association and the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance.

"Clean Ocean Action is shocked and disappointed at the lack of concern the geological community has shown toward the living marine resources," said Cindy Zipf, the environmental group's Executive Director. "At the same time, it is inspiring to see the incredible outpouring of support including federal, state, and local elected officials, the fishing community, and all citizens in defense of the ocean's marine life. This indeed is a powerful statement about the importance of the ocean to New Jersey."

"The testing could not come at a worse time of year for recreational fishermen, commercial fishermen and bait and tackle shops that depend on the summer fishing season for their livelihood," said Paul Turi, corresponding secretary for the Jersey Coast Anglers Association. "The JCAA and its member clubs see no justifiable value for this study. We believe the potential negative effects far outweigh any potential positive effects."

Bob Schoelkopf, Executive Director of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine, said the testing could result in deaths of dolphins and whales by disrupting feeding patterns. The waters off New Jersey provide prime birthing areas for bottlenose dolphins over the summer, Schoelkopf said. Humpback whales are also migrating from birthing areas off the Dominican Republic to North Atlantic waters.

"Both species rely heavily on being able to prey on tightly bunched schools of fish," Schoelkopf said. "Seismic testing disperses these schools and disrupts marine mammals' sonar needed to track prey."

The DEP provided the NSF with peer-reviewed studies that show that underwater seismic blasts cause fish to move out of areas where this type of testing is done, causing shifts in distribution and declines in numbers of fish that can be caught, and may even cause immediate mortality.

Rutgers is conducting seismic ocean blasting tests to examine changes in layers of deep-sea sediments. The project is taking place in waters 18 to 45 miles southeast of Barnegat Inlet.The process involves repeated underwater blasts of compressed air that can generate up to 250 decibels. In comparison, a jet engine generates about 160 decibels.

The U.S. District Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals last year ruled against the State in its efforts seeking an injunction to block the work, which was initially scheduled to take place last summer. The project did not move forward at that time due to mechanical problems with the research vessel.

For a copy of the State's complaint, please visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/docs/seismic-complaint.pdf

For a copy of the letter to the National Science Foundation, please visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/docs/nsf-cordo...r-20150602.pdf

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: Stop Rutgers Seismic Testing!
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
never thought I'd see the bigman step up for anything but a cheeseburger, free Bruce tix or a date with Jerry Jones....

Offline njdiver

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 07:21:47 PM »
That a Boy Chef.. t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media

Offline njdiver

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »
After a full week of operations the Marine Geophysical Survey by the R/V Marcus G. Langseth is finally listed in the 23rd week’s publication:

U.S. Department
of Homeland Security
United States
Coast Guard

LOCAL NOTICE TO MARINERS

District: 5 Week: 23/15

(Snip)

NJ - ATLANTIC OCEAN – SEISMIC SURVEY

Mariners are advised that the research vessel MARCUS G. LANGSETH will be conducting a scientific seismic survey in the Atlantic Ocean, bounded by 39-36N 73-42W, 39-42N 73-38W, 39-27N 73-09W, and 39-22N 73-13W, near Long Beach, NJ from June 1 until July 6, 2015. The vessel will be limited in ability to maneuver. There will be instrumentation extending up to 2 nautical miles from the vessel stern and 270 yards on both port and starboard of the vessel and will
be operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the duration of the project. The vessel can be contacted on VHF Channel 13 or 16. Mariners are urged to use caution when transiting the area. If you have any questions regarding the contents of this bulletin, please contact the Waterways Management staff at (215) 271-4814 or the Situation Unit Controller at (215) 271-4807.

Chart 12300 LNM: 20/15

(Snip)

http://navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm05232015.pdf

Offline njdiver

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
Fishing groups ask court to halt N.J. ocean seismic testing

JULY 1, 2015, 1:22 PM    LAST UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, JULY 1, 2015, 1:38 PM

BY WAYNE PARRY
ASSOCIATED PRESS

POINT PLEASANT BEACH  — Five fishing groups asked a federal court to stop scientists from blasting the ocean floor with sound waves, arguing their research is disturbing marine life off the New Jersey coast by exposing animals to noise comparable to a space shuttle launch or a nuclear bomb.

The lawsuit filed Friday seeks a halt to the program being carried out by Rutgers University, the University of Texas and the National Science Foundation.

The project uses sound waves to study sediment on the ocean floor dating back 60 million years to see how sea level rise has changed the coastline.

"It shows the arrogance of scientists," said Tom Foote, an official with the Jersey Coast Anglers Association, one of the groups that brought the lawsuit. "There's no need to do it this time of year, but because it's convenient for them, they're doing it when the fish are here."

The researchers say they take extensive steps to prevent disturbing marine life, and that the benefits of the study could help coastal towns better plan for and protect against storms. The findings could be used to help make decisions on where to elevate houses, build protective barriers, relocate critical infrastructure or retreat from certain spots.

"We're collecting data in full compliance with laws that protect marine life," said Gregory Mountain, the lead researcher. "When analyzed, our results will provide the factual basis for understanding and preparing for the impact of sea-level rise on coastlines."

He did not say how much of the study, which began on June 1, remains to be completed.

Environmentalists say such research has a history of harming marine life, which can become disoriented or stressed from the noise.

The lawsuit, separate from one filed by the state Environmental Protection Department, says the gear used in the survey generates blasts of over 200 decibels — louder than a space shuttle launch and only slightly less noisy than an atomic bomb detonation 250 feet from the blast site.

It asserts "the survey is irreparably harming the aquatic life" off Long Beach Island.

The other plaintiffs are the Recreational Fishing Alliance; The Fishermen's' Dock Cooperative; the Garden State Seafood Association; and the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance.

The researchers actually tried to do the work last summer, but were thwarted by a mechanical breakdown that forced postponement of the study until this summer. A lawsuit by the state filed last year trying to block the project was dismissed.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/fishing-groups-ask-court-to-halt-n-j-ocean-seismic-testing-1.1366488

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »
 t^  Yea but.. It will fall on deaf ears I'm sure..

Offline njdiver

Mission Complete…
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 10:20:43 AM »
Hi ....,

The project reached its successful completion this morning on schedule and ship is returning to port today.  I wanted to thank you for all of your assistance and cooperation.

Regards,
Sean

Sean Higgins, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Marine Operations
Sr. Research Scientist
L-DEO /Columbia University
61 Rt. 9W
Palisades, NY 10964

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: Mission Complete…
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »
Hi ....,

The project reached its successful completion this morning on schedule and ship is returning to port today.  I wanted to thank you for all of your assistance and cooperation.

Regards,
Sean

Sean Higgins, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Scientist
61 Rt. 9W
Palisades, NY 10964

Sean, after all of the posts you have made why did you wait until your final one to provide us with your name, affiliation and credentials? Seems as though if you did this earlier in the debate perhaps people would've valued your input and may have even asked questions. Excuse me for being so blunt but, I think it was a dick move on your part and probably done on purpose.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline njdiver

Re: Mission Complete…
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »
Hi ....,

Regards,
Sean

Sean Higgins, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Scientist
61 Rt. 9W
Palisades, NY 10964

Sean, after all of the posts you have made why did you wait until your final one to provide us with your name, affiliation and credentials? Seems as though if you did this earlier in the debate perhaps people would've valued your input and may have even asked questions. Excuse me for being so blunt but, I think it was a dick move on your part and probably done on purpose.
Sorry, I am not Mr. Higgins.  I am one of the recipients of the email from Mr. Higgins.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 10:07:01 PM »
 ;D  well even I knew that ;D smk ;D

Offline DrakeRader

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
Don't worry, Hotrod, Jersey Coast Anglers Association still has its suit pending to halt this study. The hearing will take place in a week; maybe it will be retroactively successful, and the 18000 marine mammals and fishing in general will be saved.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
July 9, 2015

NJ ocean blasting research completed; court action halted

Seismic testing that involved blasting the ocean floor off the New Jersey shore with sound waves has been completed, and a lawsuit brought against it by fishing groups has been dismissed.

Five fishing groups had sued to stop the research, led by Rutgers University and involving the National Science Foundation, and the University of Texas, claiming it disturbs and possibly harms marine life including dolphins, whales, turtles and many fish species.

But in a joint court filing Wednesday, both sides acknowledged that the testing had been completed on Monday, and that a restraining order shutting it down is no longer needed.

A separate lawsuit brought by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection challenging the way the project was approved remains active.

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/new-jersey-more/item/83995-nj-ocean-blasting-research-completed-court-action-halted-?utm_source=down-the-shore&utm_medium=social&utm_content=test&utm_campaign=social-inbound

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »
funny how certain activity only exists when this thread is active.......... ovrbt

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
So the testing is done and there have been no reports of massive fish kills or dolphins, whales and turtles washing up on the beach? :headscra:

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »
Perhaps DrakeRader can answer this...

Been thinking of this for several weeks now. I don’t know if I am thinking correctly or not. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this subject (I have none) can pipe in and clarify.

In past years the water clarity in the Shark River area (ocean and basin) has been good most of the time. At times the water was so clear you could see ten to twenty feet below the surface. Of course there were times when the water clarity was very poor, but that condition did not last more that a day or two. This season the water has been dirty with sediment for the longest duration that I can ever remember.  This dirty water had been prevalent even to thirty, forty and even fifty miles off shore.

Which leads me to ask: Is this the result of the seismic blasting that was performed off of Barnegat, NJ this summer? I do not know the process of seismic blasting but I do know that sound waves (seismic blasting) are nothing more than vibrations. Could these vibrations cause the sediment on the ocean floor to be disrupted and mix with the water? Could this be the cause of the dirty water that we are experiencing this season? I am not trying to place blame on anybody or agency, but I can see no other explanation for this. I would just like some answers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:48:18 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »

Been thinking of this for several weeks now. I don’t know if I am thinking correctly or not. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this subject (I have none) can pipe in and clarify.

In past years the water clarity in the Shark River area (ocean and basin) has been good most of the time. At times the water was so clear you could see ten to twenty feet below the surface. Of course there were times when the water clarity was very poor, but that condition did not last more that a day or two. This season the water has been dirty with sediment for the longest duration that I can ever remember.  This dirty water had been prevalent even to thirty, forty and even fifty miles off shore.

Which leads me to ask: Is this the result of the seismic blasting that was performed off of Barnegat, NJ this summer? I do not know the process of seismic blasting but I do know that sound waves (seismic blasting) are nothing more than vibrations. Could these vibrations cause the sediment on the ocean floor to be disrupted and mix with the water? Could this be the cause of the dirty water that we are experiencing this season? I am not trying to place blame on anybody or agency, but I can see no other explanation for this. I would just like some answers.

That is an interesting observation. I can say when I was out that way fishing while the active blasting was happening I can't say I recall seeing the water dirty.

I was just thinking of posting on this topic to see what the results of this study were....

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »
So the testing is done and there have been no reports of massive fish kills or dolphins, whales and turtles washing up on the beach? :headscra:

But I'll bet it has something.. to do with us not Bluefin Tuna Fishing this year "Inshore"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »

That is an interesting observation. I can say when I was out that way fishing while the active blasting was happening I can't say I recall seeing the water dirty.

I was just thinking of posting on this topic to see what the results of this study were....

I think it would take time to travel away from the site so it wouldn't be apparent while they were doing the blasting. Only my opinion though.  5hrug
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-