Author Topic: Time again to use mullet from the beach...  (Read 2223 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Time again to use mullet from the beach...
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »
If your going to fish from the beach out front it is time to start thinking about using mullet.  I know many believe it is too early but because there is a slow down in the fishing, mullet will spark your catching ability.  Most shops have them now and are going for about 12 for 5 bucks give or take.  Allow them to defrost a bit as they will be easier to put them on the hook.

There are 2 ways to rig them and I will use either way.  If I have my mullet tool that i make myself which is nothing more than a piece of thick wire with a small hook twist on one end.  I like to make these out of the wire that one uses to fasten chain link fencing to the rails.  I pass this through the mouth and out the vent.  Using a smaller hook like a 2/0 or 3/0 circle with a short leader  about 8 to 10 inches long putting the loop of the leader onto the tool you made bring the leader back through the mullet.  Hook the hook back by the tail as blues especially will attack the tail first.

This way is messier but I find the bait stays on  longer and through some rough water.

The second method is to pass the hook through the mullets mouth and out through the gill plate, than hook the hook in the tail the same way as described earlier.  Yes I know you can buy mullet rigs but I'm cheap, I admit it.

If there are fish around you will have no problem catching using these methods.  If you do use these methods write and let me know how you did.

Happy Catching

Paul 
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Time again to use mullet from the beach...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »
Great info Paul t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-