Author Topic: Problems casting!!!  (Read 5009 times)

Offline agent530

• Full Member of the Den
Problems casting!!!
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
Hey guys new to the forum so I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have been surf fishing for about 3 years now (not a pro at all) but I have been having the same exact problem! First one being the memory, I have tried braid and it does help with the memory issue but I am just a mono kind of guy. How would I get rid of the memory because when I open the bail, a ton of line spools out making it very hard to cast. Secondly, is with the shock leader. I have tried tying many knots such as the albright knot which is strong when reeling in, but the impact of the  cast can just rip off everything. If I tie a barrel swivel, I don't want to have to cast with 36+ inches of line hanging. Hopefully some pros here can tell me what I'm doing wrong. This setup right now really does tick me off but I can continue with it if there is no solution because I am still catching fish.

Thanks for the help,

Anthony (Agent530)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:02:43 AM by agent530 »

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
Re: Problems casting!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:45:27 AM »
Are you using a spinning or conventional reel?

For starters, I'd dump the line and spool it again but make sure it's tight. The only other time I've had that happen was using much heavier line than the reel is rated. Not sure what lb test your using. As far as knots, for mono I use a clinch knot, sometimes the palomar, but lately the san diego jam knot.  When you tie them, get them wet before you tighten them up then test them good. Buy a cheap spool and a scale so on days when you're bored, you can practice knot after knot and test them.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:44:38 AM »
Welcome  wa I like uni to uni knots,  albright knots are good too but make sure you trim the tag end of the shock leader nice and tight.  
 Strange your knots are breaking using a spinning reel.  Is your leader material old or was it left out in the sun?   Flourocarbon leader works better then mono.  
    If any reel, spinner or conventional gets bound up the lines gonna break at its weakest point from the pressure of the cast.

Some of the surf casting sharpies might chime in here with some advice.. t^
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:17:49 AM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:35 AM »
We need to know what type of reel you are using first.

But Ill take a stab at it.

Mono is good but Braid will give you better results as far as memory.For Braid to FC I use the Alberto Knot...it's tight and strong, also passes threw the guides well.

Mamoi Diamond/High Catch is a good brand of mono.
Andy is also The softer the mono the less memory you will have. Spooling it is important, with spinning reels you should spool with the line coming off the same as it is going on the reel, not like a conventional just winding off the spool to the reel like a winch would.

The rod length and action will effect your distance in casting. For surf fishing anything under 9', will shorten your distance.

Spinning Reels: Larger spool means better casting.

Conventional Reels: proper service of the reel is important, a good oil used to lubing the spool bearings is very important...NOT GREASE!! it slows the spool.

That's my two cents. I'm sure there are others here that can help you even better. 
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline agent530

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I am currently using trilene big game 25lb test mono for main line, trilene big game 50lb mono for a shock leader. My rod is about 9' and it is a spinning reel. I think I realized my problem was that my shock leader was only about 3' when it should be 10-15' so that the knot does not take all of the tension. But what knot do you recommend for tying 25lb mono to 50lb mono without it getting caught through the eyelets?

Very much appreciated,
Anthony (agent530)

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I am currently using trilene big game 25lb test mono for main line, trilene big game 50lb mono for a shock leader. My rod is about 9' and it is a spinning reel. I think I realized my problem was that my shock leader was only about 3' when it should be 10-15' so that the knot does not take all of the tension. But what knot do you recommend for tying 25lb mono to 50lb mono without it getting caught through the eyelets?

Very much appreciated,
Anthony (agent530)

Again Anthony,try the Alberto knot http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline agent530

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
Ok I will thank you

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »
Ok I will thank you

Good luck. I hope that works for you and solves one of you problems. --------------<*}}}><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-