Author Topic: Avoiding skates & dogfish  (Read 4994 times)

Offline agent530

• Full Member of the Den
Avoiding skates & dogfish
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »
In all the times I have gone fishing, I have always used a fishfinder rig, 8/0 circle hook and mostly bunker as bait occasionally clam. I have never caught anything but dogfish or bunker. What do you guys recommend I do to catch something else? I will go for anything but skates and dogfish.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony (agent530)

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
Re: Avoiding skates & dogfish
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
Try Sand worms, Rig EEL, Live Bunker, Fluke belly, Spots, Grass shrimp. Depends on where you are fishing though.
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline agent530

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
Thanks, will do. I might try mullet because some guys said that they are catching blues with those. I fish in Ocean Beach near Lavallette.

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:08:27 PM »
Thanks, will do. I might try mullet because some guys said that they are catching blues with those. I fish in Ocean Beach near Lavallette.

That's a good choice also, asking local fisherman what bait is working is the best way to get on the fish.
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:19 PM »
Bunker is a good choice for bass or blues. 
Read the water and make sure your bait is cast into the trough.  Bit sitting on the bar is more likely to attract skates (thats where they like to hang). 
After the second skate or dogfish....move spots.  Hanging out there will only result in more of the same. 
Right now, the best bet to catch something is to work a bucktail / Gulp teaser combo for fluke. 

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 05:46:25 AM »
 whs

Fluke:   A small spro Bucktail heavy enough to cast to reach your desired location baited with gulp in white , chartreuse or pink.  Then tie a dropper loop 15" to 18" above that and hang a teaser hook 4/0 to 6/0 that can be dressed with a skirt and baited with gulp. Cast out and retrieve slow to cover all the area in the water. 
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline agent530

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! I am going to try a bucktail with a gulp teaser dressed on a 3/0 baitsaving hook later. Wish me luck! I will post pics if I catch anything!

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! I am going to try a bucktail with a gulp teaser dressed on a 3/0 baitsaving hook later. Wish me luck! I will post pics if I catch anything!

If you listen to these guys you will.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-