Author Topic: Key West Tarpon  (Read 2356 times)

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
Key West Tarpon
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
Went down to Southwest Florida with the wife and my daughter and her family for a little R&R.
Stayed 5 days in Naples at my son-in-laws parent’s condo. The beaches and water at the Gulf were absolutely beautiful and the area is a very nice place to visit.
Had lunch one day on Marco Island and feel that place is very fishy and hope to get back there again one day to check it out.
Thursday we drove down to Key West via old Rt. 41 which was cool as we stopped along the way in the everglades at National Park area to see some alligators and fish.
The bridges along the way down to Key West over open water was quite a site as well.

Friday morning Joe and I meet up with our charter Capt. Pepe Gonzalez to fish for Tarpon.
The method we used was to chunk baits very similar to the way you would for tuna.
Capt. Would cut small bait fish and throw the chunks in and we would pay out baited hooks to drift along with them.
In the AM I managed to hook 3 Tarpon and it was amazing the way these monsters would leap out of the water and put on a show.
The closest I ever got to getting one to the boat was seeing the top knot of the bimini twist and she was gone.
Capt. Offered to take us sharking during slack to kill the time waiting for the tide to change but we opted to stay with the Tarpon. So we made a quick stop at a dock for a nice Cuban sandwich and ice cold smoothie and off we went to a channel that he said should hold some fish but has also been home to a huge Bull shark for the last week or so.
As we started to chunk we got a quick view of him as he went through.
As I was reeling in one of the many small groupers and various other fish we caught that day my rod doubles over indicating he ate my catch and we quickly cut the line as there was no chance of landing him on the gear we were using.
Joe finally hooks up with a Tarpon and it makes that amazing leap into the air.
I was reeling in my line quick to give Joe a better shot at landing and my line came tight with what turned out to be a Cobia that just made the cut to the box.
As Joe was fighting the Tarpon it made another leap out and then a great thump and splash as that Bull Shark crushed his fish and we watched the water turned red from the blood of the Tarpon erasing all doubt as to what just happened.
Capt. was pissed as he said this was the 12th Tarpon killed that week.
Final tally was 4 Tarpon in the 80 to 100 lb class size hooked and dozens of various groupers, rays, and snappers, some of which were boxed.

The water in the picture from Hotel balcony is the area we fished most of the day.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Key West Tarpon
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
Very cool Pauly.
Thanks for
Sharing

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »
 t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »
 t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 05:35:15 AM »
Nice trip Paule pawle
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 07:11:22 AM »
Sounds like a great vacation Paulie, Hope you stayed hydrated in that Florida heat TT^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
 clp

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »
 t^ .... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 08:03:55 PM »
Nice trip Paul-e.  clp clp

Would be a cool NJSWF road trip.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-