Author Topic: off shore fishing with braid  (Read 17824 times)

Offline Mattgros325is

off shore fishing with braid
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:14:23 PM »
Im looking to go shark and tuna fishing off shore. I just recently bought two penn international 30tw. I use braid for all my inshore fishing and was hoping to use for offshore as well, to utilize the greater line capacities with stronger line.   Ive been doing research about different knots to attach mono backing to the braid then back to mono topshot/leader.   Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of preferred knots. Im looking to use 50-80lb mono backing, then 150lb power pro spectra, with 50-75 yards of 100lb topshot mono.   Ive been thinking double uni knot for backing mono to the braid, Then spider hitch to form a loop then GT knot for topshot.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Scott Bailey

• seabass sharks cod ling stripers i love fishing
Re: off shore fishing with braid
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 08:31:53 AM »
Im looking to go shark and tuna fishing off shore. I just recently bought two penn international 30tw. I use braid for all my inshore fishing and was hoping to use for offshore as well, to utilize the greater line capacities with stronger line.   Ive been doing research about different knots to attach mono backing to the braid then back to mono topshot/leader.   Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of preferred knots. Im looking to use 50-80lb mono backing, then 150lb power pro spectra, with 50-75 yards of 100lb topshot mono.   Ive been thinking double uni knot for backing mono to the braid, Then spider hitch to form a loop then GT knot for topshot.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

For big game use mono only for saftey reasons imagine the damage braid can cause someone if it accidentally got wrapped around someone or rubbed up against someone as a big shark or tuna starts a huge run and also mono is more forgiving

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »
 The best knot you could use is the one you tie properly. Research breaking strengths of knots and go with one you can tie right.

Keep line strength reductions in mind when setting or touching your drags and go for it.

Myself, I will be going with the PR knot. It retains 100% line strength, and for the terminal end I do a bimini twist with offshore swivel knot.

I used to be against braid for offshore, but am singing a different song now. Special attention must be paid to safety, but I do believe it can be done with a little education and a mono top shot which is a must anyways.

I have and get people out that cannot handle a big penn 9/0 or 50w so I need to reduce my reel size and that can only be managed by switching to braid.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »
 More info here than you could ever want on knots and lines ---> Clicky
All your tuna's are belong to me

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-