Author Topic: A J day number 1  (Read 1109 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
A J day number 1
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
 slt  A J day number 1

For Florida sports fishermen one of the most sought after fish of them all is the fighting amberjack; AKA, 'Donkey of the Sea.' Anyone who has ever done battle with even a smaller 'donkey' knows why the name is very appropriate. You are in for the fight of your life.
With great anticipation many of us eagerly await August first; 'A J day number 1.'

This year our spirits are dampened by low pressure, continuous hard rain, and strong winds. Here is where large head boats come into their own. The Florida Fisherman ll is a 72' long, 25' wide, catamaran. Even in heavy seas we still have a stable platform from which to fish. On the long 100 mile journey offshore we encountered heavy rain and 30+ MPH winds. Most slept through the roughest of times. After all, we want to be well rested for the fights sure to come. Saturday morning was a little on the rough side. Regardless, we are on a mission:

The AJ's are ready and so are we. Let the fights begin:

I am stronger than you...I think!

The bigger AJ's win most of the fights, but we win some. It's a good thing we have a two day possession limit:

We are absolutely starved. Chef Tammy to the rescue with the best of the best Cubans. Lean ham, roasted pork, the finest of melted cheese, Let's eat:

More meat than bread on a Tammy Cuban:

Back in action!  'What a Fight.'

Now that's looking impressive. Rain & rough seas...Who cares:

The red grouper & kings join the action:

It's a good thing Will & Captain Garett are good with the gaff:

On these extended trips we also fish the long nights:

Mangrove snapper time. These little hard to hook, bait thieves, offer even the seasoned angler a real challenge. Even if we catch nothing else our two day federal limit of twenty mangos are a great catch:

It's always an honor to have ladies fishing with us. However, there is one huge problem...they tend to out fish us guys. It's embarrassing:

Well! Guess that about does it for this adventure. Let's enjoy a Tammy 'Yankee' pot roast dinner with the leanest, tastiest, beef and the freshest cooked to perfection new potatoes & babby carrots smothered in the best brown gravy immagionable.  Every wonder why we thank New Jersey for sending us this master chef? It's really pretty obvious:

We are still a very long ways from Madeira Beach, take us home Captain John.
 6 A.M. Sunday morning. Now that was one quick, restful, night. Let's fill our coolers, check out the in the money jack pot winners, and anxiously await our next great adventure.
Mr. Thomas Ryan is very proud of his custom, hand made from scratch, palm hat. Who wouldn't be?

The 'in the money' AJ hit the scales @ 25.9 pounds, red grouper, 14.4, and mangrove snapper @ 8.7 pounds. Unfortunately many of the larger fish were not in the jack pot.

Is a good catch possible with low pressure, wind, and rain? Well:

And, speaking of great adventures, the Florida has three Deep-Drop trips planned for August, two in October, and one in November. For those who have never fished 700 to over 1,000 feet deep into the very heart of the Gulf of Mexico, you have absolutely no idea what you are missing. Ever see a barrel fish? Justin has:

How about a long tail bass? Justin has:

Ever catch four snowy, yellowfin, grouper at one time? Once again, Justin has:

Come August 7, Justin & crew will be at it again. Be sure to watch for our full report & video.
As a proud Florida native I feel  privileged to have spent a life time fishing & hunting in this tropical wonderland. Check out my latest trophy wild boar hunt in the August edition of Woods'nWater magazine:

Come November I will, once again, be visiting the pride of Perry, Florida, Two Men & a Hog Outfitters. As always, it will be an honor to share my adventures with fellow sportsmen/women. Be sure to watch for my on the water, in the field, action packed pictures & videos. Better yet, join me in the action. It would really be great to feature you in adventures such as:

Bob Harbison  Florida Outdoor Writers Association

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-