Author Topic: Tog Fishing : Tips, Tricks, Tackle, and Techniques  (Read 120545 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Tog: Tips, Tricks, Tackle, Techniques
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 07:04:08 PM »
Never heard of that before.   5hrug
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 10:20:51 AM »
I've heard mention of it before, but thankfully, never actually seen anyone use that.  A few boats I go on, well, I hope whomever sports them has real real thick skin rofla hhppy

I do believe in using the flat/diamond sinkers as they do not roll like a regular bank sinker and thus have less tendency to find a hole and get stuck.  Regardless of what type of sinker, rig, hook, etc...you're gonna loose tackle while tog'n.

Out in Long Island they use a "tog bomb" kind of jig.  Basically the weight is shaped and colored to vaguely look like half a green crab and the hook swings from that.  Pic attached.
I've also heard of using bucktails tipped with crab.  Certain places that might work just fine, but where I fish, in deeper waters and much more filled with snags, they won't last for long.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:30:07 PM by Hotrod »
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »
first i would like to say some very good info here. maybe i can add a little bit here. gottog makes a lot of good points.

heres some tips i give our customers and friends new to toggin.

1. from what i can see both from deck capt and as avid tog fisherman. way too many people fish too light. if you think you could hold bottom with an 6 or 8oz. use 10 or 12oz. use 40-80 lb main line and 60-100lb leader. blackfish are not line shy. so have the extra  bit to land the big fish. too many times i seen people catch plenty of tog and always lose the hog on there 30 lb test. your 30 lb test becomes a lot weaker once it frays or get a nickin it.

2. very very important dont move your sinker hence the heavier weight sinkers. on most days the bergall will be the first to inspect the bait then mr blackfish will approach. if you swing at the bergall you will on most occasions scare the blackfish away to another angler who has his crab and sinker sitting flat on the bottom. i seen way to many people bouncing there sinkers all over the place while everyone next to them is catching fish.
once you find the bottom leave your sinker there.

3. crabs!!! crab selection makes a big difference. dont be afraid to try different thing. last week you could have caught your limit on hard orange belly green crabs but this week the water dropped 2 degree and the only want the soft green light belly ones. some days its legs on others legs off. whole crabs or 1/2 it all changes. it all makes a difference so change it up.

4. nutin fancy needed when togging. keep it simple. no 3 ways weight clips swivels etc.
double hook rigs are good at times usually when fishing a whole crab with both hooks in them is the best application. hence a snafu or slider hook rig. high lows i personally stay away from. when you hook i big blackfish the object is to get him out of the bottom so no matter how smooth your 450$ reels drag is .if you drag is to loose you will watch him take you right back to the bottom. tight drags and heavy line lands the hogs more times than not. pick a rod that is good for you. a fancy rod spiral wraps and side winders are for the guys who have been doing a long time. none of these will help you learn when is the right time to swing at a tog bite except pratice. ask questions most people will be more than happy to help you out and leave the spinner home!!!

5. dont be affraid to move around on a boat if the crowd allows it. most of the time  blackfishing crowds can be light especially later in the season. no matter how good you are if you dont have good bottom you cant catch blackfish. its not rude among the guys who blackfish regularly.  just be polite. more time you are on productive bottom the more you will catch. many people will bark why cant the capt put the whole boat on the bottom . the answer is simple he could but big well know high profile wrecks get beat up and cleaned out quickly. many small less know snags often produce a lot of big fish ,but it might only be on on side or section of the boat.

6 braid could be a big advantage for blackfish but is could be a huge disadvantage if used wrong. all the tog sharpies i seen almost fish with a bow in there line and for good reason. if you fish with a super tight line with braid your sinker will roll around and bounce everytime the boat moves hence scaring more tog away from your swing crab than it will attract. so yes braid will help you feel the sneaky bites better then mono but if you are getting less bites because you are using it wrong it defeats the purpose.

7  try a 6 pack boat before jumping on a head boat. its more forgiving. it will give the pratice you need to make the most of the fewer bites you get on a tough day on a party boat.
more bites more misses and more pratice. land based tog is also a good pratice. such as a canal or inlet.

8. use sharp hooks. gamu owner and the other chemically sharpened hook will increase you hook up. check your hook points often as well you wont catch to much if you point is messed up the whole day.

9 gloves lol this is a funny one. be in touch with your rod. if you put on the antartica glacier gloves chances are your hands are warm but you dont catch that many tog. dress warm but be comfortable so you can be productive at the rail.

10 fish alot tog fishing takes lots of pratice. the more you go the better you will get. watch and learn from the people who are doing well. find a boat that could be a home for you so you can feel comfortable and have friend to fish with. never stop learning there is no way to master togging  but being able to adapt will help put fish in your cooler.

hopefully some newbe tog hunters can get some good info out of this.   

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Tog Fishing : Tips, Tricks, Tackle, andTechniques
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »
Wow, Jerry  great info t^  Man I forgot al1 about this thread.  and here I just started one..

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Tog Fishing : Tips, Tricks, Tackle, and Techniques
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »
Good info Capt Jerry, thanks.   t^

Offline flounderman

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 08:35:47 AM »
Those jigs definitely work in LI Sound. Don't know how?  My guess is they see it as a live crab creeping along the bottom. Seen it firsthand several times. Once on a partyboat fishing off Stamford. I invited a friend out a few weeks ago and fished off Rye Playland in 35'. They were slamin' his jig. I was getting plenty of fish w/ a two hook rig myself.
A different bite over there, they are suicidal!

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
Capt Jerry grtn
C'mon, you know I'm a hack, but can regurgitate what others try to teach me and a few things I've actually picked up along the way. t^

I think I want Jerry to bait my hooks next time out with him.  Dude uses mono and outfishes me all the time bngh
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 08:09:14 PM »
dont be so modest i know u be a pulla

i know about you guys beating on the slobs at
16+1  ;)

and t the pool ringer t^ t

gotta get together soon

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »
Yeah, we pulled alot of stuff from the garage yesterday ;)  At least we got our new stove hooked up and the Christmas tree decorated.  rofla

Tonight dishwasher chrz

I need to drown some crabs bngh
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Togmasterson

• 31yrs Togging & still learning. Bring on Togzilla
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »
Just joined this site.  Looks great. 
Togging is the best !!!!   Frigid Temps, cold hands, crabs in my pockets and the thump of big tog hitting the deck ....perfect together.
Not to mention nice fresh tog fillet for Christmas Eve dinner.  Its just a shame that I am told I must go togfishing on Christmas Eve to get the fesh fish for dinner. Its a beautiful thang !!!!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »
Welcome to the site Togmasterson.  Looking forward to your posts.  The only problem I find weather wise is the wind.  The cold I can handle.   TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 11:48:49 PM »
Welcome Aboard Togmasterson,

I hope you find our humble crew informative and fun.  We all love to fish and we love to give our ideas freely.  if you fall into that category Welcome Aboard.

Looking forward to your posts.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline JRSLOCK

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »
Capt. Jerry,

That was a very good info, I wish I found this site before. Yesterday was my first tog trip ever. I did not land many fish but after reading alot of post I am ready to do it again.

JR

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
Welcome to the site JR.  There is a lot of good info here.  Guys willing to share.

Any questions, just ask.  Any thing you can add, do so.

No one can ever know enough.   t^

Looking forward to your posts.

Good luck in catching.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 11:10:08 AM »
Welcome Aboard JR,

This site will knock your waders off once you get involved in it.  The guys and gals are terrific and love to share info freely.

Looking forward to your questions and input as well.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »
I'm sitting here watching that Northeast Angling tog show and snelling some 4/0 and 5/0 Gamakatsu and Mustad Octopus hooks on 80# leader for the Bandit trip next week.  As I do this I thought of some questions for all you "pro-toggers" out there.

I was curious if anyone ever uses the Gamakatsu "Live Bait" style hook for tog.  I've got quite a few of them.
What do you think?  Should I stick with the Octopus only or should I tie up some of these live bait style hooks as well? 5hrug

Also, as I tie these they seem to be a bit big for tog.  I'm used to using size 2 and 4 Virginia style hooks. 
Are these 5/0s really appropriate for this trip or should I be tying more 3/0 and 4/0 hooks?

One other thing.  On the local inshore rockpiles that I've fished around here, it seems like I don't normally lose a lot of rigs.  However, I have no idea what kind of structure we'll be fishing over in Delaware.
So realistically, how many rigs should I be making up for this trip?   I don't want to get caught short out there. ;D

By the way, thanks to Joe (Irish Ayes) I think I've got all the 8 and 10 oz. sinkers I'll need! TT^

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:02:16 AM by Bucktail »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 07:39:48 AM »
Bob, I tied up some 3/0 and 4/0 Gama Octopus hooks.  I also have 5/0s that I am going to tie and bring.  I will decide once we are on the boat what one to use.  Seems the fish there are on the larger size and the 4/0 may be the ticket for me.

I am bringing two dozen each, but then again, I may be supplying two others habits too.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
Live Bait hooks are good.  Thicker, so obviously stronger and less likely to bend, but also a little harder to hook into the crab and had a slightly shorter shank as well.

I like the regular octs.  5/0 are not too big in my opinion and have hooked quite a few tiny toy-togs with them as well as bergalls.

4/0 is my favorite, but if fishing bigger crabs looking for a beast, the 5/0s come out to play. TT^

I usually have atleast a dozen rigs per person in my party rigged up.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm sticking with the Octopuses (Octopi?) in 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0.  I'm also tying some of the double hook rigs.

Joe, I've got plenty of 8 and 10 oz. sinkers, thanks to you. ;D  But the one report said we might be needing up to 16 oz.  Have you got any that big that I could buy from you if needed?

Thanks,
Bob

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
I have some 16 oz Bob.  Don't know if they are in the garage at home or the shore.  I'll have to find them and bring some along.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-