Author Topic: Tog Fishing : Tips, Tricks, Tackle, and Techniques  (Read 120419 times)

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Tog Fishing : Tips, Tricks, Tackle, and Techniques
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »
There is a good amount of detail in various threads I have read, but figured try to get a sticky thread going for Tog to celebrate the increased limit!

Let me start by stating what is probably obvious: Ya gotta be on/near the bottom, structure helps, bring lots of rigs and a wreck anchor and be prepared to lose them, crabs for bait, OK that's as far as I go. Last time I was toggin was w/my Uncle John when I was about yo high, so anything I learned likely faded away... (I have a great memory, it's just really short) I do remember him saying they'll ambush the bait then try to run back into their hideyhole with it, almost guaranteeing a snag if you're not right on top of the sitcheeashun.

So lemme throw some q's out there: Conventional or spinning? Single hook rig? Other baits? Techniques? Yes, gottog and others have probably answered these and other q's already but it's hard to have too much info when it comes to fishin. Specially if it's all in one place. Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:20:49 PM by Hotrod »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Tog: Tips, Tricks, Tackle, Techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:49:52 PM »
Vinnie, if you have never fished for tog before, bring your crying towel and stomping shoes, cause you will be stomping on the deck with every missed hit.   ;D  rofla

For hooks, I normally use a single hook, anywhere from 2/0 to 5/0 Gama Octopus.  Definately conventional outfit.

I'm sure Gottog can elaborate much better than me on this subject.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
WB

Joe got the hook size for you, a conventional rig with a stiff rod(no pun)6 1/2 ft, Braid 30-50 lb.

I use single hok set up but my buddy uses double rigs and both produce equal......bait Green crabs, white legger, Fiddler crabs, sometimes clams and squid will work good.

You'll have alot of misses, as we all have, but once yu get the feeling down you'll be boating fish..........bait at or near the bottom and hold it as stil as you can.

Good Luck TT^ t^ grtn

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 07:35:32 PM »
And if you don't feel a bite in a minute, pull your line up cause you've lost your bait to the bandit tog.   TT^

Offline rossg

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »
Now here comes the true value of this site

Togging isnt easy but the most important aspect is the spot.

So who out there is willing to give up some numbers
Come on you guys
Lets help and give up some of those great numbers
Ross

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »
IMHO spinning gear has no place on a tog trip :P

Conventional gear.  Braid, mono, that's up to you.  I fish braid and superlines.  Favorite is Fireline in 30# test that breaks at 60#+.
Minimum #test for other brands would be 30#, but suggest 50#  Second favorite braid is Tuf Line XP.

I always use a long mono leader attached to my braid via a connection knot.  Been loving the bimini twist/yucatan knots for doing this.  Mono leader ranges from 30# to 60# test.  40-50# is good and what I use most.  On my gear it's usually about 15' of the stuff.

I use no hardware what so ever, no swivels, snaps, etc.  I put up a rig in another thread on how I rig.

Can use single hook or double.  I prefer the snafu rig which comprises two hooks that go into a whole crab or can fish two halves.  or if it's really picky, both hooks in one half ;)

I prefer Gami Octopus or Owner SSW hooks from 3/0 to 6/0.  Started off in the season using 3/0 Gami but will now be using 4/0 and 5/0 mostly.  Mustad Virginia hooks are tried and true, but must be sharpened right out of the box.

I make my rigs/snell hooks with heavy stiff mono stick-leader ranging from 50# to 100#test.
Heavier leader only needs three wraps on the snell and I do a version of the quick-snell which makes it much easier.

Crabs is what to use.  Asian Shore crabs to start the season, greenies all the time, calico crabs when you can get them, and whiteleggers should be starting to shine now.
Hermits are good too, but more prevelant out on LINY.  Blueclaws work too and quite a few sharpies from the south use them...I rather eat em ;D

How much lead depends on where and conditions.  I fish usually out of the NY Bight area and use 8-12ozs mostly.  When fishing other areas like Orient Point NY, you can easily use 16ozs+

Fishing structure is key but bottom make up will determine where the fish are.  Some think the tog just stay in a hole, but they do swim around and feed off of the "piece"  My biggest had whole surf clams shards in it's belly and they ain't growing on the sides of wrecks and rocks ;)

Alot of times they will stage up in an area and that's why some pull out numerous fish.  other areas they'll swim around and you'll see multiple hookups at one time, this is usually how it goes out at 17 Fathoms area.

You can drop straight down or cast out and try to work some rough bottom.  Snags are going to happen regardless, but casting out will increase the likelyhood of that happening.

This is not winter flounder fishing so no sinker bouncing.  Slight moves of the sinker to "find" a piece to work is fine, but too much commotion can spook the tog.

The bite changes from day to day, spot to spot, and even from tide to tide.

Tog are very curious so sometimes it takes a little while to get them going and start to chew.  "Build your life up" by casting/fishing a specific area and making a sort of chum-slick of crab parts by letting the bergalls and small tog pick away at your bait.  Many times you'll see someone fish a whole crab first and not swing at a fish until they have no bait left or get nailed.  This will create a little chum area.

When fishing braid/supoerlines, do NOT fish piano wirte tight.  You need a bit of slack in the line and also to keep in motion with the waves so you're not bouncing the bait up and down.

Of course there are times/places when they're suicidal and they hang themselves aggresively.

A good hard hook set is key.  Important to hook the fish and then get them a few feet off the bottom quick.  After that, takeyour time a reel slow.  Enjoy the fight and not bring the fish up so fast their eyes and buttholes pop out.

GPS numbers?  Not many sharpies will give that out and I agree.  Some spots are easily found and widely known but a good small piece is well guarded.  Tough to do in today's time of technical advances, but anyone found with a portable GPS device on a party/charter boat should have it thrown over IMHO.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:42:06 PM by gottog »
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 01:05:40 PM »
more pics of rigging, rig, and the tog teeth which pick your hooks clean right quick ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:45:35 PM by gottog »
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
Can rig up numerous ways, as long as they work for you that's what matters:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:50:00 PM by gottog »
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 04:51:26 PM »
Excellent post Mike.

Guys were asking where we will be fishing on the 16th (not specific area but water depth and such)so they have an idea of how much weight they will be using, etc.  It would be great if you could post as much info on the trip as possible so guys can get their gear ready.   t^

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
Way too far off to determine where. ;)  Could be Scotland, Mud Buoy, or 17 Fathoms.

More than likely 8-12ozs should be what's needed at those spots.  If at 17 or running current, maybe a little more, but regardless, you'll be looking at atleast 8ozs.

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline adesai73

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 12:52:59 PM »
I was able to get a real (reel?) good deal on the following over the weekend.  Should be good enough for this trip, right?

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/products/products.php?p=32  T30L

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/products/combos/tidewater-combos.shtml  7'0"

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:51:42 PM »
Should be just fine adesai TT^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Good luck and I hope you get to use them in good health.  Catch a bunch of fish.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
Can tog be horsed up over the rail or must they be netted????

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 01:52:38 PM »
Your typical sized tog - hoist over the side.  Anything over say...five pounds...NET!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:13:13 PM by IrishAyes »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 08:39:34 AM »
I've got to write a book some day.  The info here at this site is awesome.  Thanks guys...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »
I've swung tog up to 10# on my graphite stick.  Generally will not even hesitate on fish under 8lbs or so.  Tough to guesstimate a fish, but usually come close.  IMHO, tog gear should be able to swing a fish in the 5-8lb class without worry.

Does take a little skill, but if unsure, call for the net/gaff.

Swung a 6.5# in this past Friday on a charter boat.  Sometimes being closer to the water is more difficult than from the deck of a party boat.

AS the saying goes...Lift em or lose em ;)
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Kevin

• Sponsor
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 07:11:09 PM »
hey gottog, nice posts, me and Capt Anthony on the angela rose 2 had a charter yesterday for tog and bass we cought about a dozen or so tog up to 6 lbs., im hooked on togging, its so much fun! ive only gone once with my dad on our boat, but i didnt catch any. you should come book a trip on the AR2 it would be great info for all of us! good luck ! thanks for the info t^ t^
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:13:57 PM by Kevin »

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
The guys on the Angela Rose can teach you alot more than I can.  I just get lucky and put my time in.  I pick up tips from other anglers, captain and crews, websites like this one, etc.
Plus the AR is know for catching some nice fish of all species TT^

With tog, you're always learning as every day is different.  The way I do things might not be right for others.  One of my mentors from Sheepshead Bay that I consider one of the best toggers always tells me that I fish "wrong" especially the way I hold my rod into/away from the wind.  I still catch and my style is comfortable to me...probably if I listened to him I'd catch more but I gotta be me t^

Seemed sunday with the full moon transition, they wanted half crabs with no legs on.  Whole or even half with a leg or two did not get the attention that the legless ones got.

I will say that I won't pass up someone paying my way to tog rofla hhppy
Now if I can only find someone willing to chrz
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline mgm

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
Last year on a trip, I noticed several fisherman were using Whiffle balls on their sinkers to prevent snags.

It seems to me that the ball would help preventing hangups, but wonder if it has any impact on the catch.

Has anyone had any experience with using this setup? ???
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-