Author Topic: Bottom Paint.  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Bottom Paint.
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:02:41 AM »
Hello,
     I have 1972 Chris Craft Lancer, full inboard. I purchased the boat this spring. The bottom paint needs attention.
 So you know, I have been trailering the boat. The previous owner died, at the age of 80. He took great care of the boat, The bottom paint is flaking off. In some areas I can pick it off with my fingernail. I would like to remove all paint and start over. Ive been quoted a ridiculous price of $5,500 from a marina for stripping the paint and around 8 coats of all different paint . >:(

I'm very handy and can tackle almost any job. Any suggestions on any methods of removing old paint. And applying new paint. Brand names etc.??
  Thanks in advance!! t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Bottom Paint.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:04:34 AM »
wire brush or sand the entire bottom to get a fresh start, then bottom paint it yourself using the multi season paint.  Then for the next 3 or so years, you only have to touch it up. 

Make sure the bottom is smooooooth or you will lose performance on the water.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 04:11:20 PM by Luna Sea 3 »
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »
Yea.  What Nick said.  There is no reason to strip the whole bottom.  Get off what comes off t^

Offline Duffman

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 10:43:24 AM »
One question - do you plan to trailer or slip the boat?

If you will trailer, you do not want a soft ablative paint. It will only wear off on your roller/bunks through the season.

I bought my boat, previously in a slip, and now trailer it. I sanded the soft ablative paint to rough it up a bit, scraped off the sections that were peeling badly. Remember this stuff is toxic, when sanding wear a mask/respirator and keep your kids and pets away.

I used Interlux Bottomkote with Irgarol.  The company claims it can be painted over and is compatible with any bottom paint. I've had mine on for 3 seasons and it still is holding up well.
It goes on as a matte finish but can be polished to a gloss sheen if you want to.  Hope this helps.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »
I use the Interlux Micron Extra, the boat is in the water from April-December and I never have any barnicles or slime. It is costly around $200 a gal but well worth it. The paint is no place to scimp. When you are moving the paint reactivates to kill all the little critters trying to hitch a ride. TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
My question, if trailering, is, Why paint the bottom?  The only need to do so is so there is no build up of barnacles, slime, etc.  It the boat will not be in the water for more than a day or two, bottom paint would not be needed.

If the boat will be slipped, all the information above is good.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Duffman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:46:43 PM »
I cant answer for Hunter2, but in my case, I bought the boat that was slipped and bottom painted for that purpose. I trailer it. After a few years, the ablative paint really started to look crappy. Strictly an aesthethic thing.  I didnt want to completely strip the bottom (yeah, I'm lazy!) so the Interlux fit the bill.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »
Ahhhhh, but once you strip it Duff, no more maintainance.   TT^

And you save the price of paint every year.   t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »
even if you trailer it, you have to only trailer it... if you decide to go on vacation or something and leave the boat in the water, even for 1 week, you will have a mess.  Bottom paint with the paint mentioned above, and your good for 3 years, even if you trailer it.. Not to mention, I painted the bottom of my boat twice already and still have enough paint left for nexts years touch up... With only 1 Gallon...  So for $200.00 you can get about 6 years or more of worry free...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 07:35:58 PM by Luna Sea 3 »

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »
That does make sense.   t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 09:04:54 PM »
My bottom does look crappy too. I mean the boats bottom. ;D.   I'm trying to get my wife a second job so I could get a slip next season but she is a-little reluctant about it. 5hrug
  So you guys suggest just scrapping and wire brushing the old paint off and reapplying new??      What about applying a red base coat and a blue top coat? I here that may be good because if  the red starts  to show through, its time to touch up the blue top coat.
        Also remember its a 35 year old boat, The unpainted bottom does not look so good.
  I think even though I'm trailering for now. This is a classic boat. Its well known, kind of like having a classic muscle car, mustang, camaro,cuda,yugo rofla
  I have found a few Chris craft lancer owners websights, and these guys are fanatics..
    I like the boat and all but I just want it to work and float so I can fish!
  Any more tips would be greatly accepted chrz
        best regards ,  Eddie
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 09:08:07 PM »
dont need to use the 2 color paint...  save the money..  You will know when its wearing when you see it.  Just scrape, or sand, then apply a nice thick coat.. You will be fine..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 09:14:35 PM »
thanks for all the help ;)
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 10:12:54 PM »
Cool discussion.  The boat I bought in October was already painted, which was actually an extra selling point for me, since I put it in my slip about... ohh... 5 minutes after handing over the check to the guy I bought it from! 

It's black, ablative paint.  It looks to be in pretty good condition, considering the boat hadn't had much use in a couple years off the trailer, much less being in a slip.  Do you guys think I should get it touched up/repainted for next season?  I've heard the cost was pretty exorbitant, and bottom painting isn't a DIY job.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 10:21:56 PM »
Cool discussion.  The boat I bought in October was already painted, which was actually an extra selling point for me, since I put it in my slip about... ohh... 5 minutes after handing over the check to the guy I bought it from! 

It's black, ablative paint.  It looks to be in pretty good condition, considering the boat hadn't had much use in a couple years off the trailer, much less being in a slip.  Do you guys think I should get it touched up/repainted for next season?  I've heard the cost was pretty exorbitant, and bottom painting isn't a DIY job.
since you don't know what type of paint you have on there, so you don't know if it is multi season paint or not, just give it a light sanding and put a light coat of the Multi season paint, mentioned above, on the boat.  This way you know what you have on your boat.  you never know what the person before you did to it, so better safe then sorry..  If you get barnacles on the bottom, its a huge project and a mess to take care of...

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
My Boat stays in a rack storage No need to paint. The bottom of my boat looks like the day I bought it. The only difference for me is I lay on my back in the spring putting a coat of wax on the bottom ;D Now I'm looking to replace the Black rollers on my trailer to the other type that leave no marks. TT^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 08:36:02 AM »
another bottom paint to consider is Pettit. They have a hard ablative called Vivid. If you are trailering it wont wear off as easy as a soft ablative but over time it does eventually ware down keeping your hull clean. The colors stand out well and don't fade.

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I actually have a can of the paint the last owner used to paint my new boat's bottom. He had one left and didn't need it anymore, so he gave it to me.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 01:02:41 PM »
My boat has a painted bottom-- This is my first year with it so don't know if it is the slip location (Red Bank near hospital) or the paint or both--- but by Sept the bottom looked pretty sh!tty. Slime, growth, etc. Even got a barnacle or 2 on the fenders and trim tabs... Moving to a new loca for next year (Keyport)-- bottom paint was incl with the storage/launch/slip contract, hopefully it holds up better than last year...

I think after next summer I will get a trailer and winter store it at the house. I like being able to see it,even if I can't go out on it, and do maint, paint, and, and, and dunk it for a late season Striper trip after the 10/31 marina haulout date..... 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 08:43:16 AM »
 TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-