Author Topic: Collective Skunking, But Still A Great Day 11/21  (Read 1250 times)

Offline TurboDan

Collective Skunking, But Still A Great Day 11/21
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »
I knew something was off when I saw "the fleet" drifting in the middle of the Manasquan Inlet this afternoon when I went out.  After buying a fresh turkey, meeting up with my uncle to prepare a few details for tomorrow's festivities and purchasing some winterizing gear for the sad event to come this Saturday, I figured I could get some time out on the water.

It wasn't to be.  I broke the inlet, and was met with 4-6 foot rollers coming from every which way, driven by the south wind.  I couldn't believe a little 16' aluminum boat with a tiller outboard was making his way further out the inlet.  I turned around, figuring not only was it a bit unsafe to be out alone in those seas in the middle of November in a relatively small boat, but that jigging wouldn't be any fun anyway. Didn't spot any bird action during my few minutes outside.

I fished in the Manasquan River with the rest of the fleet for a little while, and between radio conversations and the old "have any luck" questions shouted from boat to boat, it seemed like nobody had a good day of fishing.

But in any event, it was 60 degrees, I was out on the water for one last time before the boat gets hauled for the winter, and it felt great!  Got back to the dock, took a ride to the gas station, returned to the boat and topped off the tank for the winter.  The sunset was breaking through some clouds and it was amazing seeing the orange-pink light filtering down through the fog produced from the warm air meeting the chilly water.  It was one of those sunsets you'll never forget, and it was the perfect farewell to the first 6 weeks with my new boat.

Can't wait 'til Winter Flounder season starts!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Collective Skunking, But Still A Great Day 11/21
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 05:34:23 PM »
Nice report Dan.  The last trip of the year is always a sad event.  At least you had decent weather, winds being the exception, to be out.

Hook em up next year.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:43:42 PM »
Good report Dan.  Sorry I missed this Baby t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:53:24 PM »
 TT^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:59:09 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the report,  I and about an hour away from any saltwater right now and having withdrawl symptoms.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-