Author Topic: Surf fishing permits?  (Read 12487 times)

Offline adesai73

Surf fishing permits?
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:14:28 PM »
I'd like to try fishing the surf this weekend, probably Saturday.  I know Sandy Hook requires a permit if you're fishing at night.  Any other permit requirements up and down the MoCo beaches that I should know about?  Or, if there's public beach access, can I just walk down to the water and start doing my thing?

I also don't have waders.  Are they an absolute requirement for doing this?

Any other hints or advice you guys can throw a surf-fishing first-timer would be most appreciated!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Surf fishing permits?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:31:12 PM »
No other permits needed.  You need one at Sandy Hook because it is a federal park and they want our $$$.  Anywhere there is beach access you should be good to go.  I haven't fished the beach in years but I remember waders as being ALMOST a must.  You can stand at waters edge and cast out, BUT, you WILL get the urge to cast 'just a littleeee bit further' and you will get wet.  ;D  Not a comfortable feeling when the temperature drops and the wind is blowing.

If you are going to do any jetty work, make SURE you have a pair of korkers.  They do get very slippery and dangerous without korkers.

Good luck.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline adesai73

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:38:11 PM »
Gonna avoid the jetties for now.  I'm too new at this and without the right equipment, too dangerous.  I'm in this to have fun, not drown!

I'll give it a shot without the waders.  That investment can come next year.  ;D

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:01:40 PM »
Gonna avoid the jetties for now.  I'm too new at this and without the right equipment, too dangerous.  I'm in this to have fun, not drown!

I'll give it a shot without the waders.  That investment can come next year.  ;D

Smart move avoiding the jetties.  Good luck to you.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline adesai73

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 10:22:57 PM »
Same to you and yours.  TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:33:45 PM »
Hi Ash,

Like Nick mentioned pretty much you are good to go with the no fees.  Once you get down to Island Beach State Park there is a charge to enter the park but you have approx. 10 miles of beach to fish with parking lots every so often with easy beach access.

This trime of year is great for the surf there is so much running that it is almost impossible to not catch if you know what to use for bait.  Your best bet is to stop off at a good Bait & Tackle shop in the area you are going to be fishing and ask questions especially about bait.

Clams seem to be the order of the day with a 3/0 - 6/0 circle hook.  Try using the 6/0 with a fish finder sinker rig.  Just cast out and wait and remember if you get a hit don't jerk to hard with the circle hooks because you will pull the hook right out of the fish's mouth.  Let the hook do the work.

Good Luck...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline adesai73

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 05:02:34 PM »
Is Seven President's Park a decent place?  How about Fisherman's Cove Conservation Area?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 11:54:21 AM »
Hi Ash,

If you can pick an area with jetties and cast out along them you should do pretty good.  If I had to pick a side I would try my luck on the south side of the jetty as that is usually the deepest (usually).  With the snotty weather lately and huge waves it could of changed, but that would be my starting point.

Good Luck,

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline adesai73

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »
Struck out yet again!  5hrug

7 Pres. Park and nothing on clams.  I spent my time on the north side of one of the jetties.  Wish I had seen ^ earlier.

Don't know if it would've made any difference as it didn't seem like anyone was having luck. 

Waders will def. find their way onto my shopping list.  While doable, today's experience wasn't the most comfortable feeling in the world, even with goretex boots.

What's the deal with those strings of little mussels getting wrapped with the terminal tackle?  Are they floating in the water or was I just casting into beds of them?  If the latter, are those areas known for being productive?

All in all, an outside observer watching me might have this to say... "Googan."   TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »
Hi Ash,

At least you made a good attempt at it.  Plus it sounds like you weren't alone in the 0 fish category.  Keep on trying different tactics and don't give up.  There are many days I do not catch a thing but I have yet not learned something.

Talk to some of the old timers and they will be glad to divulge some information a little at a time.

Now you have to try and use some top water plugs.  They are simple and easy to use.  It is amazing to watch them hit the plug and for an instant you freeze till you realize you have a fish on.  Wow, what a rush...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline adesai73

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 01:33:15 PM »
Question about shock leaders.  I'm thinking of using 40 lb mono for this.  Can I tie a snap swivel to the main line and then tie a swivel to one end of the leader?  I don't trust my line-to-line knotting all that much and was wondering if this would work. 

My casting so far hasn't really been all that impressive.  I've been reading about the OTB casting technique and would like to try that out.  Just want to make sure I don't hurt me or anyone else who happens to be nearby in the process.

Edit:

Just noticed it looks like the shock leader is meant to wrap around the spool a few times.  Guess that rules out the use of swivels..?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:40:21 PM by adesai73 »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 03:38:58 PM »
Hi Ash,

If I am not sure as to what type of bait, plug, or lure I am going to be using I always tie on a snap swivel to my terminal line, this way I can switch around without having to tie on something new.  This is especially true now that the temp. is getting colder.

As far as a shock leader If I am using plugs or metal and are fishing for blues or striped bass I do not use one instead I use an 18" 30 - 50# wire leader.  I haven't lost one yet.

Shock leaders are good if you are bait fishing and you want to make sure you have a good pull back to insure a solid hook set.  Especially if you are using braid,  If you are using mono I am one of the impression it is not needed.

When I surf fish I just like to keep it simple terminal line to a snap swivel of 75 - 90#, clip on a fishfinder rig with a 4 oz pyramid or bank sinker and a 3/0 to 6/0 hook and a good slab of clam and your good to go.

For plugs and metal it is even simpler, same snap swivel 18" wire leader clipped to the plug or metal jig of choice.

When casting you have to relax...tell yourself this is for fun.  Point your left foot in the direction you want the lure to go and bring the rod back turning your body away from the surf with your left arm in front of your body and load up the rod in one motion.  Then in the casting motion bring the rod up and over letting go of the line about the 11 o'clock position.  Continue the follow thru by following the lure with the rod tip till it lands, hopefully out to where the fish are.

Remember, for the most part you don't have to cast 300 yards out beyond the bars.  Most of the time there are fish in the trough right in front of you.

I hope this helped.  If not maybe we could meet up on one of my favorite beaches and I can show you a few tricks.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline adesai73

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »
Paul, name the time and place and I'm there!  I don't think I can underestimate how trying, at times, learning this stuff from assorted webpages can be.  Some one on one coaching would be terrific.

My understanding is that the shock leader is to provide an extra measure of strength while the rig is traveling through the casting arc with the advantages as they apply to hooking a fish being secondary.  Because of the centrifugal forces being applied by the weight of the rig, the shock leader prevents the main line from breaking under that stress.  Am I mistaken?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 06:57:25 PM »
No, you are right.  But using a good line you shouldn't have too much trouble in that category.

I use 30# braid and as long as my drag is set properly I have not had any problems since switching over.

I say making sure the drag is set properly, braid has a tendency of creeping into itself.  By this I mean the line slides in between its own layers.  To stop this you have to loosen up the drag so it will slip a little and not embed itself into the spool.

What is your schedule like either during the week or weekends.  A long as there is nothing planned for the weekends I'm good but during the week is better for me.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline adesai73

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »
As a general rule, my weekends are usually pretty open.  Holiday season social obligations may tighten that up for a while though. 

With some notice, I can arrange to be free on a weekday.  I've got almost three days off that I have to use before the end of the year or I'll lose them.  I can't think of a better way to burn one!

Thanks, Paul.

Ash

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »
Ash, I am new to this site ,so just had the opportunity to check in on your topic.Surf fishing is great and can be rewarding.Take a ride to the beach at different times and dates and tides to scope things out especially after a storm,rain or blow.you will see guys fishing a spot or not, this should tip you off.I usually take two rods if I am bait fishing.I take two if I am plugging but leave one in the truck as a back up.You'll be a pro ! Good Luck. AJ

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 09:17:13 PM »
Hi Ash,

How does Friday morning sound?  It seems like the only decent day during this week.  This way you can do more practicing over the weekend.

If that is OK I will PM you with the time and place.  It will most likely be the 3rd Ave parking lot in Ortley Beach.  This is usually my starting point it has good beach structure plus a number of groins that you can see how the sand builds up on the North side when there is a normal NE flow.

Plus it is easy to get to.  Just take the Garden State Parkway to exit 82, Rt 37 East bound once over the bridges stay to your left and go north on Rt. 35.  Go through a series of turns and once it straightens out look for 3rd Ave and make a right go all the way to the end and that is the parking lot.

I have a maroon Expedition.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline bayonne

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 09:47:32 PM »
i use 15-20 lb main line mono and use a florocarbon leader 30 lb and rig with a fish finder and weight 4-6 oz parymid  and and 5/0 -7/0 hook depending on condistions

Offline adesai73

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 10:33:52 PM »
AJ and Bayonne, I appreciate the tips and the encouragement!

Paul, I'll check my work calendar when I get in tomorrow and let you know. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 11:07:36 PM »
Sounds fine,

If not this week we will check the weather report for next week and try then.

We will have you casting like a pro in no time.

I will also show you how to fish a top water plug, AVA jigs and a Krocadile spoon.  These are the three major lures to take nice fish like blues and bass off the surf.

Don't worry about buying them you can use mine and if you like them then you can go out and buy whatever you like later.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-