Author Topic: 11/25 Gambler Report  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
11/25 Gambler Report
« on: November 25, 2007, 05:27:21 PM »
What I would classify as below avergae day-althought fish were caught but not nearly as fast paced as my past 2 trips.

Broke the inlet and steamed due east until were about 2 miles offshore before making a left trun and steaming north. First stop was in the Red Church area about the same distance offshore. 2 short bass for the boat before we looked for more productive fishing. Went further north until we were just south of the Shrewsbury Rocks and went further offshore to some large areas of working birds that were just short of the EEZ. Better bite (although still very picky) with all bluefish. Left there and went back in tight to the beach and back to the south off Long Branch. Bite here was better still (but again not the fastest action). I quickly hooked up with a legit #14 bluefish (Jason had caught his first bluefish on the offshore drop). A fair amount of bluefish and short bass were coming up. We stayed in the general area working our way south with the fish going offshore and back in to work the various patches of birds. Spent a good amount of time between the Red Church and the rock wall. By 11:30ish the bite dropped to a thin pick with maybe 2-4 fish per drift.

I ended the day with a total of 11 bites but only being able to catch 4 fish (3 short bass and that 1 big blue). Out of the 7 bites I missed I should have caught 6 as I had them all on for at least 15 seconds. I caught all my fish on a blue 3.5 ounce ProFish Butterfly Jig. Missed 4 on the butterfly and 2 on a 5 ounce Krocodile sponn. Jason caught just 2 fish out of 6 bites (1 blue & 1 short bass). The blue came on a Kroc spoon and the bass on a blue 3 ounce crippled herring. He missed 3 on the Kroc and 1 on a shad.

Bluefish were spitting up various sized peanut bunker. My big blue had a whole adult bunker in addition to 6 peanuts. Some blues also had sand eels.

Pool winner was the lone keeper bass caught that taped out at 28.25 inchs.

Just a side thought (short rant), why do some boaters keep insisting on running full bore right up to breaking fish or working birds. Lost count of how many times/how many boats did that today. It boogles my mind.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: 11/25 Gambler Report
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:33:12 PM »
Forgot to mention that on our initial ride north we saw several large boils/splashs that the captain and crew said were bluefins.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 05:33:24 PM »
Nice Report Skolman t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:33:31 PM »
Good report, we shared the same bottom today grtn grtn

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 06:22:33 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
Good report t^

Offline sealife

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 07:19:22 PM »
Yesterday off of Long Branch their was a large pod of dolphin working the bait schools.

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »
Nice report  t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:18:49 PM »
Nice report Skolmann.

I can't figure out the guys that insist on running right into the thick of the fish either, but they do it all the time.

This is the time of year the bluefin will be in close.  I have seen them a mile or so off Long Branch crashing water.  It would look like someone was throwing a Volkswagen in the water the splashes were so huge.  TT^ They wouldn't hit a thing though.   5hrug
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline sealife

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »
About two years ago I saw the bluefin in along Long Branch as well.  Some were close to 4ft long and when you say a huge splash it is an understatement.  Really did not try to hook up since we had nothing with us that would come close to holding them.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 11:53:56 PM »
 cfzd Bring on those puppies...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-