Author Topic: Whats your opinion?  (Read 9115 times)

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Whats your opinion?
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/john.contello/videos/1335489863132961/

By now I'm sure you have all seen this video a few times. What is your opinion and why do you think the way you do?
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Whats your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
 5hrug ... On the fence about it, Obviously a kid real excited about the action but he has too many fish on the deck for the amount of people in the video. Had he not thrown the fish into the water or just cut the video right before that there would not even be a conservation about this. Poor choice by a YOUNG man.....Life lesson learned I beleive.  Great catch, wish I was there for that action .... pcrn
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »
Apple does not fall far from the tree.  His father is a convicted mobster from Brooklyn. :Contello Sr., a former Brooklyn resident, was named by federal authorities in an August 2008 indictment charging him with racketeering and racketeering conspiracy and naming him as a captain in the Bonnano organized crime family. He pleaded guilty in March 2009 to collecting unlawful debts.

He was released from federal prison three years later, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons web site.

"What's that got to do with my son catching fish?" he replied when asked about his reputed mob past."

The boat is now up for sale according to what I saw on the web. boatsalelink

He is not the only one to post stupid or illegal SH*T on the internet and then get called out for it.  Hopefully he learns a life lesson from this.

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz  slt
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:48:59 PM by njbob49 »

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »
well here is what Accurate thought of it....... I think he was on with bass pro too. can't remember for sure

Offline Fisherman120

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
It was a stupid thing to do and a very stupid video to make... I seen it before it blew up and was surprised no one made a comment yet, the next morning it was everywhere. The taunting to internet fishermen, not releasing the bass once they were unhooked, tossing them into the water, etc it was all dumb and disrespectful. His dads cursing in the article afterwards didn't help out. That said it's not as big of a deal as it's been blown out to be. It's a joke that it made it to NJ.com and even Fox news. People on facebook and another forum that rhymes with darn threatened and said he should get his teeth kicked in over this. Dumb video but overall it's really not a big deal. 

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:36:12 PM »
I can't believe it took so long for this thread to pop up. 
That's the extent of the opinion I'll voice on the matter.
 pcrn 

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:52:30 PM »
It was a stupid thing to do and a very stupid video to make... I seen it before it blew up and was surprised no one made a comment yet, the next morning it was everywhere. The taunting to internet fishermen, not releasing the bass once they were unhooked, tossing them into the water, etc it was all dumb and disrespectful. His dads cursing in the article afterwards didn't help out. That said it's not as big of a deal as it's been blown out to be. It's a joke that it made it to NJ.com and even Fox news. People on facebook and another forum that rhymes with darn threatened and said he should get his teeth kicked in over this. Dumb video but overall it's really not a big deal. 

Thats how I feel also Mountain out of a mole hill. I like how yesterday everyone was killing him for throwing back in dead fish now that it was deemed that the fish were alive hes just an "punk kid". Part of me thinks its jealousy especially bringing his father into that wasnt even on the boat. We have all been in a mad dog striper blitz before and have seen multiples come up within a few minutes. After the 6th was caught that should have wrapped it up and all other fish should have been tossed back before hitting the deck. Yes I said tossed back throwing the fish back over nose down doesnt bother me either. if he was flipping them in the air that would be a different story. Bottom of the line I think he got fired up in the moment and made himself look to be a jerk.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:53 AM »
Facebook.

As a 19-year-old who loves to fish (and who has been fishing every chance I can get since I can barely remember), I feel terrible about the backlash over my recent video. Despite what it may look like on the video, I want to be 100% clear in saying not one of the fish we threw back over the side was dead; yes, five fish in the cockpit (one per angler) were going home, but every other fish that came over the rail was unhooked and released – none floated, they all swam away as green as when they first came to the side. I know the video looks bad folks, but it’s not what it seemed – and forgive my excitement, it was a mad dog bite and we were all very excited. I’ve released a lot of big fish over the years and have taken great care in those trophy releases – perhaps I need to be more respectful for the teens and 20’s we’re catching and releasing too, I got the message. So maybe I have more to learn, and I’ve spoken to quite a few knowledgeable captains and anglers in the past few days who have offered a lot of good advice – to those who have reached out personally to offer guidance and friendly recommendations, thank you! To those who have threatened me, my family, my school, and anyone who has ever known me, much less fished with me, I hope you will consider what those actions mean to others. I’m confident that I’ve not done anything wrong legally (and welcome the discussion with enforcement folks monitoring this ongoing madness), but if perhaps if I’ve treated this great fish in a way other than with the great respect it deserves, I’m sorry – and I’ve learned a great deal from this experience.

Enough said, lesson learned..... Lets move on.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 07:07:30 AM »
Yea Im with Eddie, the kid relises now that he screwed up , lesson learned :-X
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
It truly is sad for him .Just starting to garner endorsements from tackle manufacturers and possibly Bass Pro .All down the tubes now .Just like a politician ,this will come up to bite him the backside down the road .

Offline Down Deep Fleet

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • THE 40' 1-15 PASSENGERS DOWN DEEP FLEET
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »
He's a kid. I'm a parent, like many others here or there. Below is my comment before the post was pulled from another website. There is another website where the comments are still going strong, is this what people live for? Say your piece respectfully, because you can't take back what you say and act like an adult. This is why I chose to share this here with level headed people. Right , wrong or indifferent, lead by example.
DOWN DEEP BULL - 40' CUSTOM RP WILLIS BEAL -

U S C G CERTIFIED 1 - 15 PASSENGERS / HUGE COCKPIT / HEAT & AC

Harbor View Marina
165 - West Front Street
Keyport, NJ 07735

CAPT. MARIO 609 827 1232
AVAILABLE DATES & RESERVATIONS 609-689-8631

1 GOAL - 2 CAPTAINS - 3 MATES - 4 EXCELLENT TRIPS - 5 STAR SERVICE
-----
http://www.downdeepsportfishing.com/ddsf/

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 12:03:23 PM »
As I taught My Kids  and held to it like Law..   You will be held accountable for your actions.. as you will learn by them t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
I never made it to FB, but I saw the vid before it broke the interwebs.

my opinion is dat Johnny Buck gots a helluva nice ride. And obviously more $$ than brains.

just sayin'

...and those memes are spot on! come on!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:02:46 PM by wb »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
I met him a couple times and he was always polite and respectful to me and others .
  On a side note,  why would anything another member of his family did in the past reflect on him as an individual? 

Everyone deserves a second chance..
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-