Author Topic: Newbie in Woodbridge  (Read 6385 times)

Offline StuPedassle

Newbie in Woodbridge
« on: June 15, 2016, 01:45:24 PM »
Greetings everyone!
I'm looking to take up fishing as my hobby here in NJ. I've been freshwater fishing a bit back in MO where I'm from with my grandpa when I was younger (teens or so).

Have no rod and no reel at the moment and definitely no boat.

I was thinking about hitting up the Brighton Avenue Municipal Fishing Pier in Perth Amboy after I figure out my tackle situation. I'd like any thoughts y'all may have regarding that location for pier fishing.

If you'd like to offer any advice on a rod/reel for pier and/or boat fishing I'd be more receptive and appreciative.

I'd like to have the capability to catch a 60 lb fish/shark with my rod and reel, so any pointers would be wonderful.

Nice to meet you all! I look forward to learning a lot with you all!

Cheers!

Stu

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
Re: Newbie in Woodbridge
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »
Welcome to the site.  grtn

First for the rod and reel. Anything from a light-medium 7 foot rod to a medium-heavy 9 foot rod would work. I spend most of my time fishing for bluefish and striped bass and use a 9 foot medium-heavy rod since the fish tend to be a bit bigger. If fishing piers and docks in bays, a 7 foot rod would be great for fluke, sea bass, porgys, kingfish, etc. Here is a link for a basic rod and reel combo that I'd use. I don't have this exact rod and reel, but a similar one. It'll be fine for pretty much any fish that you'll encounter in our waters. I have a similar rod that's my go to that I've been using ever since I started fishing in 2006.

Second, I don't spend too much time down the shore so I can't really speak to piers down there. I've got a lot of experience with piers and such in Hudson County which I can share with you. Then I do an okay amount of fishing down in the Brick, Lavallette area. Can't help you with Perth Amboy area.

Third, you'll probably have to lower your expectations with the 60 pound fish, especially from shore. Very, very unlikely you'll catch anything other than a shark that's 60 pounds. A black drum or striper are possible, but I think I'd rather play the lottery than make bets on when I'll catch a 60 pound striper. The shark is possible. If you search this forum there are a couple topics about fishing for sharks from the beach. Usually done in late August or early September. Bunker or really any kind of small fish (small bluefish, kingfish, porgies) will work. I've never done it, but it's on my list. I'd imagine the 9 foot rod should be okay for that. You'll have an uphill battle reeling it in, but assuming you have some heavy braid, shouldn't be out of the question.

Hope that helps. Any other questions?

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »
Haven't fished the pier of Brighton ave but  there's another pier at the mouth of the Arthur Kill to fish off of. Its more of a wall that confines the marina but it's a fishable walkway. There's also a small tackle shop right there.  There's also a couple parks along the water you can try out. Both in Sewaren. One is next to the boat ramp and the other is next to the power plant. I've seen some monster fluke pulled out of those areas. Also, for you being new to the area and fishing that area,  you should consult the fish consumption advisory if you plan to eat catches from that area. I haven't seen an advisory in a while but I also don't fish that area much

Thomas Falater

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:53:39 AM »
You're right about that pier at Arthur Kill, that's a good pier to start out at and fish off of. My friend was telling me about the fluke there. I'm new to the area and haven't hit that yet but plan too and I'll post the report here for sure. Thomas Falater

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-