Author Topic: 06/30/16 Sharking  (Read 1416 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
06/30/16 Sharking
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:58:24 AM »
I had been planning all week to hit an area that has been producing for friends between Monsters Ledge and the Glory hole but, I really didn't feel great with the Buoy Weather report of 4' with 5' peak and 10 knots from the N. I am always leary of anything from the north so, decided to hit the northern Mud Hole wrecks in search of threshers.

Got setup around 7 or so with 4 rods in the water and an ok drift. Had a strike on the close down line and immediately as small shark on the surface. Shark came tight and swam right to the boat. Small, just legal whip tail. Being it was early and there had been some recent reports of much bigger fish in this area and it was still early we pulled the hook and let it swim to be caught another day. After that there was no more action at all and drift turned to S*&# and took us along contour lines versus over structure. We reset and tried one more but, nada.

By now the weather was beautiful and it appeared the weather would be great for the rest of the day. We chose to pack up and run the 17 or so miles to my original intent. We made quick time and it was lines in the water again on a good contour line. The drift was horrible and we needed to power drift. Not a sniff on the lines. During the last bit of bunker we got covered up with mackeral. Of course I couldn't find the 5 packs of brand new Sabiki rigs I have. So, I improvised and used the smallest blued tog hooks I had an we managed to catch them. Live lined a couple but again nada. Managed to catch about 2 dozen for the freezer and packed it in for the nice 25 mile ride home.

Good day on the water with a little action sure does beat working.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
Re: 06/30/16 Sharking
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
 t^ chrz
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:33 PM »
Nice trip Fred. And you got some nice bait for your next trip.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
One to the boat, some bait action, not a bad day. Thanks for the Shark report Fred.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
 t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline kpcoe

• Super Hero Member
  • 21' Seaswirl Striper..."Freedom 3"
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 04:49:13 PM »
nice job, great report! chrz
Freedom 3

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-