Author Topic: NJDEP on summer flounder  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
NJDEP on summer flounder
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
NJDEP SET TO SPEAK TO FLUKE FISHERMEN

NJDEP Commissioner Bob Martin is tentatively scheduled to hold a press conference at Fishermen's Supply in Point Pleasant Beach this Friday at 10 a.m. to announce the state's opposition to the proposed federal summer flounder restrictions.

By Jim Hutchinson, Jr.  |  January 24, 2017

The state of New Jersey’s opposition to the proposed 2017 summer flounder regulations is continuing at a fairly rapid pace.

Last Thursday, January 19, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bob Martin sent the state of New Jersey’s view of Draft Addendum XXVIII to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC), calling the proposed recreational measures “a defecto moratorium on summer flounder for the recreational fishing industry in New Jersey.”

“The Addendum threatens to jeopardize businesses such as bait and tackle shops and party and charter boats that cater to recreational anglers,” Martin wrote in his letter, adding “the recreational fishing industry which provides more than $1.5 billion economic benefits and directly supports 20,000 jobs in New Jersey, would be devastated.”

This Friday at 10 a.m., DEP Commissioner Bob Martin is tentatively scheduled to hold a press conference at Fishermen's Supply at 69 Channel Drive in Point Pleasant Beach, to announce the state's opposition to the proposed federal summer flounder restrictions.

Capt. Pete Grimbilas of Reef Rescue and the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance said as many fishermen as possible should be ready to attend Friday’s public press conference. “From what I understand the Commissioner wants to state New Jersey’s official position on the proposed fluke regulations, and I’m sure he’d like to see as many of New Jersey’s fishermen on-hand as possible.”

“We are pleased to see the Christie Administration rejecting ASMFC’s mandate and requesting status quo measures until a new benchmark assessment is completed, kudos to Commissioner Bob Martin,” Capt. Grimbilas added.

The ASMFC will convene for their Winter Meeting from January 30 through February 2 at the Westin Alexandria at 400 Courthouse Square in Alexandria, VA; the Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Management Board could take final action on approving Summer Flounder Draft Addendum XXVIII as early as 8 a.m. on February 2.

On Friday, January 20, just hours after the inauguration, the Trump Administration issued an immediate freeze of pending regulations until they can be reviewed by the president’s newly appointed designees. While the previously approved 11.26-million pound quota for both the recreational and commercial sector in 2017 would probably not be impacted by the presidential memo, passage of Addendum XXVIII through the ASMFC process may get complicated and should generate discussion in Alexandria, VA next week.

As for when any summer flounder options will be finalized, ASFMC and the MidAtlantic Fishery Management Council will later convene a the Hilton Garden Inn at 5353 N. Virginia Dare Trail in Kitty Hawk, NC from February 14-16; following the February coastwide commission and regional council meetings, the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council is set to meet on March 2 at the Stafford Township Municipal Building at 260 East Bay Avenue in Manahawkin, NJ which is typically where New Jersey’s seasonal fluke limits get set.

For more on the status of this Friday’s press conference at Fishermen’s Supply with DEP Commissioner Martin and the Christie team, look for more details in the Thursday, January 26 weekend video forecast from The Fisherman Magazine.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: NJDEP on summer flounder
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
I will definitely try to be there Friday.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:29 AM »
The new presidents freeze on pending regulations might help us out here,  I cannot attend the meeting Friday but would like to thank all that do .     slt
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »
 whs
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
I plan on getting over there tomorrow morning to show my support. t^
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:55:46 PM »
Pop's Soul (Skip) and I will be there.  t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 06:25:24 AM »
 t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
Made it over to the DEP Press conference this morning. Met up with Irish Ayes & Pops Soul (It was great to see you guys again), along with about 200+ Fishermen, Captains, Business Owners, and Press. Nice turn out for a cold, windy morning. I'd give a summary, but the press coverage can tell it better.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »
 t^
Nice guys--6 hours of driving too much for me--glad you made it

Watched in on facebook !!! clp clp

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
Good to see you up and about Darren.

The speakers today appeared to be pretty enthusiastic about getting some progress for the fluke fishermen. We do need to apply pressure on the feds to get reasonable regulations.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »
Here is a phot of the hand out from New Jersey Outdoor Alliance with contact infromation for both President Trump and Governor Christie. I urge everyone to speak up, now is our chance.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »
 t^
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Glad I went, good to see you a Darren. Our politicians talked the talked now they have to stick to their guns when they go to Virginia for the big meeting , Lets hope so t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-