Author Topic: Bay fishing in a boat this size?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Acton

Bay fishing in a boat this size?
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:53:51 PM »
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and wanted to see what you guys thought on this topic.

I'll soon be the owner of a 14ft smoker craft with a 25 HP Johnson. It's got a 5' 3" beam which is pretty wide. I usually make 2-3 trips down to wildwood nj during the summer and I've rented out some carolina skiffs that aren't to bigger then my soon to be aluminum smoker craft. The thing about those boats is that they're fiberglass, but they've only got 9.9s on em.  I figure the fiberglass might make those skiffs heavier and more stable.

I've only ever fished fresh water lakes around where I live in the hudson valley NY region, but I'd be curious to know what you guys think about back bay fishing out of something like what I've got. Is it completely crazy? I've seen guys out in the bay on kayaks. If I watch the weather will I be fine? If so I'd love to hear of some interesting spots on the jersey shore I could potentially take this kind of set up too. Obviously I'd like to start out easy and go from there. I figure fluke fishing and crabbing out of my own boat would be a blast. If it's completely crazy though let me know!  ;D

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Bay fishing in a boat this size?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »
You will be fine in Raritan bay on nice days. You might get hit by a few wakes from big boats but you should be fine.  A few launch ramps are in Keyport.  Very good Striper and Fluke fishing in Raritan bay along with crabbing and Bluefish too.  Good luck!
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Bay fishing in a boat this size?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »
 grtn     whs         wa
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-