Author Topic: Need advise and thoughts asap Boat Sank  (Read 6499 times)

Offline kutztownwayne

• 2012 trophy 220
Need advise and thoughts asap Boat Sank
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:04:51 PM »
Okay guys need some quick advise from veteran boat owners.  Please no judgment though I feel bad enough as it is.  I bought a brand new 18 foot bay boat. Brand new mercury 90 hop outboard on it 4 Stroke.  I launched it yesterday for first time and fished the bay.  Took it in to the marina I have a slip at.  Left and went home to PA yesterday.    Got call today at 1pm. My boat sank in the slip.  Asked me to come down.  A few hours later I arrive and boat is floating again. The super super marina owner and his service guys pumped the hill out and got it floating again. Pictures show the whole back half of boat was under water for many hours of the day.   They used a winch to get up up some to be able to pump. The  engine that I had up was 3/4 covered when it was down. The battery compartment was submerged and shorted wiring.   I was so disgusted as you all can imagine.   So th n the big question  WTH HAPPENED?   It was literally the first day of brand new boat. It had been tested on water by me and boat dealer which is up in pa and not around New Jersey. Well according to all at marina the scuppers were below the water line.   They think the 90 mercury that came with the boat is too heavy for it and with full gas tank it pushed back end below water line.  I am a novice boater I admit it completely but the boat dealer never mentioned that I might need to plug the scuppers. In fact when I called today a sales man was only one there and he said in fact that the scuppers don't need to be plugged.  Well the guys at marina plugged them and sure enough no more water getting in.  They are going to lift it in the am for me and I am taking it right to dealer I got it from.    So hear is what I am wondering 1. Has anyone ever had this happ and any advise?   Is this an insurance claim or is this a warranty issue and should I be going after the dealer for his event or do I have to accept the responsibility?   If engine was under water can I ever trust it if the don't replace   Lickiluy no fuel
Leaks and no lost equipment. Only thing that kept boat form going to bay bottom was that I had a rope wrapped under the engine and that held it from the bottom.   Okay that's a ton but any advise is appreciated.    
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:16:55 PM by kutztownwayne »
Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.

To fish is human,

to throw back is divine.

Offline kutztownwayne

• 2012 trophy 220
Re: Need advise and thoughts asap Boat Sank
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:09:58 PM »
Oh yea and the automatic bilge never came on
Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.

To fish is human,

to throw back is divine.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
 I don't have any advice on this,but damn,, hope it works out for you.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:06:41 AM »
Supper put in backwards maybe? Wouldn't be the first time I heard that with a new boat. Any valves to your Livewell?

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
First, sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. As to what caused this to happen, could be any number of things. Being a brand new boat, a broken or cracked through hull fitting, bad seacock, loose clamp on a hose, incorrect wiring on the bildge pump, something that got passed quality control at the factory. As for the engine weight theroy, as long as the 90 hp is not over the rating on the capacity plate, that shouldn't be an issue.If the power head was submerged, not sure I would still want that motor hanging g on my transom.

This sounds like an insurance issue to start, and during the insurance company's initial inspection, they should be able to determine tha cause. If the dealer gets their hands on the boat first, they might cover things up by fixing the error to cut their losses. Either way,depending on your policy coverage, it will probably just cost you your deductible and maybe the rest of the season. Good Luck, let us k ow how you make out.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »
Wow..so sorry for your trouble... awful way to start off with a new boat..as Darren point out , it could be a number of causes, but if the scuppers are in fact submerged at rest and are the cause of sinking.. I would call that a manufacturing defect, or at least a rigging error.. I'd be scared to keep such a boat in a slip and trust to plugs..especially if I didn't live close..and if it sits that low at rest, I can imagine it will be worse when running at lower speeds and it digs in a little..especially with  a little extra weight like a cooler or a buddy back there.. so you'd need to keep them plugged.. at any rate, I agree with calling the insurance co...at least let them know what happened.. if either the dealer or the maker fails to step up, at least you are covered, and the ins. co will put pressure on them if it is in fact their fault.. really hope this all works out for you.. keep us posted  chrz

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
Any update as to what happened next?
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
Dang Wayne.. I just seen this..    Any update?

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:34:46 AM »
 whs Yes me too

Sorry to hear this
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-