Author Topic: Reading The Sand  (Read 76618 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Reading The Sand
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 11:18:06 PM »
 t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline RocksandReds

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
Had a hard time finding this spot,it didn't just jump out at me as a good spot to fish ;D ;D.

I'm 6'1" and the hole at dead low tide was over my chest waders with bare sand on both sides, and a 2ft trough on the inside of the bar. caught some great fish out of that hole! t^ t^.

No fish to big or to small,anytime anywhere!You bring the bait I'll bring the Coffee.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 12:00:49 AM »
Great shot of the hole.  They are there all you have to do is put your time in and make the effort to get out at dead low tide and ride the beach.

This coming week should be the end of the lifeguards at many beaches and will be open once again to fisherman.  I am looking forward to getting back onto the beach at Ortley as that has been very productive in the past during the fall run.

Again thanks for the pictures.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 09:57:08 PM »
Paul.  you need to reload up your pictures t^

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 08:54:50 AM »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »
I see the ones on the link.  What others were you talking about?

If there are more I will have to find them.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
Nah.  you did last year..

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
Nice job t^ Paul, thanks for the info. I've been fishing for a long time and your pictures explain it very well.
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:31 PM »
Thank You Sir,  working the surf the angler needs all the help he or she can get.  Just knowing what to look for besides the obvious schools of what ever blasting through the suds and birds working.

It is not hard to just look at the waves and read what is underneath.  Plus put that new info to use when you realize that the bass will be feeding on either side of a particular bar depending on the tides.

I hope more people use that information this year and bring in that trophy fish.

Happy Catching, all.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »
DUH...Man I have to slow down and read the posting dates... fcp
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:58 PM »
I'll take anything this year and call it my trophy fish. Skate, boot, shag nose rug, anything.

Offline archivesguy08

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
Thank you very much for this information.  I used to surf fish with my Dad when younger, but he wasn't real big on explanation, and we were never very successful.  This past weekend, when hanging on the beach with wife and kids, I tried "reading the beach" as you suggested, knowing I was going to come back in the evening with my surf pole.  I think your lessons worked well.  Oh - not because I caught any fish!

When I returned to the beach, several anglers had already set up.  I could tell they were more experienced guys, because of their gear.  And where did they set up?  In the spots I had picked out as the No. 1 and No. 2 spots to fish!!!!  I fished No. 3 (what I think was a slough from watching the rollback during the day) and had no luck in about 3 hours of fishing in the tide, but I watched the guy in the spot I wanted to fish in pull in a striper out of the hole to the right of the jetty. 

So I learned two lessons over the weekend - thanks to you, how to read a beach, and also, if you want to fish - get to and set up in your spot EARLY!!!! 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »
First Welcome Aboard archivesguy08,

Second thank you for taking the time to read my article and use it to target fish.  What area was this that you were fishing in?  I might be able to give you further pointers.

And third, I am glad you got to see the demo in action and how it produces fish.  Mind you it is not always fruitful but at least it will put you into the area where the fish like to hang out in.

The beach can be a place that seems to many a barren place.  If time was taken to look into the biology of the surf one would see that it is a very vibrant place with many inhabitants.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline archivesguy08

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Since you asked, I will give you the particulars:  I was fishing in Sea Girt - first time I have ever been there in my life.  I had the good fortune of being on the beach during the day at low tide, around the area of New York Avenue.  I could see even then, easily, that there was a deeper pool of water to the left of a rock jetty.  I figured that would be the first place I would want to fish, but, as I said, when I returned it was occupied.  That's where I saw the guy pull a striper out later (from 50 yards away, it didn't look quite big enough to be a keeper, but the guy kept it so I guess it was OK).

From watching some guys surf (at low tide, haha) I could also see there was a lower spot in the bar to the left of a water return pipe, but not as large as the one next to the jetty.  Lastly, I noticed a spot that seemed to be at the confluence of the return swell or outrush of the tide water after it surged up the beach, from either side.  After watching the breakers for a few minutes when I returned at high tide, this seemed to be one of the "points" you illustrated in your attached video. 

BTW, I was using a fish finder rig with bunker chunks (previously frozen)and was holding with three ounces against a fairly calm surf.  I thought I might have had a nibble once or twice, but never had a nice tap that made me even try to set the hook.  Never lost any bait, either.  High tide was supposed to have been at 10, but I only fished from 7 to dark. 

Since my sister-in-law just bought a house in Sea Girt, I may be fishing there again from time to time, but most of my old surf time was on LBI (Surf City, occasionally taking the ride up to the Lighthouse).  Since I live outside of Trenton, the beaches of Belmar and surrounding towns are probably destinations for me as well.

It's funny, I kind of gave up on surf fishing years ago because it was so darned unproductive.  I knew I did not know enough to make it so, but I also did not know there was a website like this one, either. I am really looking forward to getting back into it with a little more knowledge at my disposal.   

Thanks again! 

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
 clp t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »
Well it sounds like your second time around with the surf is going to be the charm.  It is not rocket science but it does take a bit of knowledge to bring a fish to the box.

My hat goes off to you for taking the infinitive to know your limitations and seek help.  If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask.  I am on the site a few times during the day so I can respond in a timely manner.

I use to fish Sea Girt many years back and the jetties were the hot spots.  If you use them wisely you surly will be successful in your attempt to catch.

Just remember the most productive side of any jetty is usually the north side.  There is, for the most part, a deeper slough that runs east to west along it so cast close to the jetty on the north side and I think you will be into fish in no time.

Good Luck and as always,

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline archivesguy08

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
Thanks!  I was wondering, why the north side?  Then I googled jetties, did some research, and discovered the concept of littoral drift.  Mystery solved.  Now I know why so many guys who fish the beach are always around the jetties. 

Still, I found that strange, because in the case of last Sunday, the "hole" was clearly on the left, or south side of the jetty.  But then I read how storms outside of the usual prevailing wind direction can cause temporary changes in depository patterns, or it can be affected by effluent sources - such as the water return pipe I mentioned earlier, which was 150 yards to the south of this jetty! 

Next time I visit my sister in law, I will try to get close to that jetty.   

In the meantime, I will try to do a little more research before I hit the beach again! 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
Research is great but don't forget to fish.

When I was in College (many many years ago) I took a few coursed on Oceanography (just enough to get me in trouble) and was amazed as to how things work below the waves.  Many of the theories then still hold true today.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline inthewash

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
Good info.   t^

Offline Kevin

• Sponsor
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
I often surf before I surf fish.. I can tell where ALL the deep drops and bars are instantly.. its the best thing.

Winter time too! clp

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-