Author Topic: New Blackfish Rod Question (revised)  (Read 28852 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
New Blackfish Rod Question (revised)
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:21:26 PM »
Ok, since my first thread on this subject went nowhere  ::) I thought I'd try it again another way.

I'm interested in getting a new rod to match up with my Torium 16 and some 50 or 65# braid to do some blackfishing.

If any of you dedicated toggers have a favorite rod you like to use, I'd like to hear about it.  Please include any and all details about it, such as:

1. brand
2. length
3. action (fast, moderate etc.)
4. power  (medium heavy, heavy etc.)
5. material (graphite, glass, composite etc.)
6. how much lead it can handle
7. anything other relevant info

I think that knowing what you hardcore guys use, will help me in choosing the right rod for me, and get this tackle monkey off my back! 

(For a little while anyway.) ;)

Thanks,
Bob

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: New Blackfish Rod Question (revised)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »
Seeker BA-85 or the new Lamiglas TFX7030CT. The Lami is a composite of graphite/fiberglass and I believe the Seeker is fiberglass (e-glass). I have 2 of the Seekers and am seriously thinking of getting the Lami.

Alot of guys rave about the Lamiglas Triflex 7040, but I find the foregrip alittle too small for my liking. This rod is made exclusively for braid

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:53:53 PM »
I just picked up the 7040.  Used it once, liked it's action, etc.  Had on 8 ounces, no problem and seems it would be good for a lot more weight.

Can't tell you much more, as, like I said before, I have only used it once.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bayonne

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »
i use a stuanamai great rod for the money i drifted 12 oz for ocean fluke fishing with no problem i use 50lb power pro on mine you actuly feel everthing i was amazed the first time i fished braid

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:28:53 AM »
I've had has much as 16 ounces of lead on the Seeker BA-85 drifitng eels in Ambrose. Might have been alittle too much weight but it really wasn't a problem.

Haven't even picked up the Lamiglas TFX7030CT but have read very good reviews about it. They also make a TFX7020CT and a TFX7040CT. Obviously the 7020 has alittle lighter action than the 7030 and the 7040 heavier.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:14 AM »
i use a stuanamai great rod for the money i drifted 12 oz for ocean fluke fishing with no problem i use 50lb power pro on mine you actuly feel everthing i was amazed the first time i fished braid

Which Tsunami?, since I picked up the 8 this past weekend, I now have 12 of them in my arsenal (of various configs). Will be cut down to 10 when WB and my buddy get one each from me.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
I have a Lami BL7040C and even a custom built on the same blank.  Things are a beast and easily can hang a pound of lead on them.  Current 7030C is a good tog stick for local waters.

My go-to tog stick is a custom Graphite-USA MegaMax80.  About 7' Fast action, graphite of course. Can fish 8-12ozs all day.  Can handle a little more weight but that's maxing it out.  Fast action yet bends nicely.

Composites are the way to go if you're unsure.
Graphite and braid while bottom-fishing some serious snags can be a snapped rod waiting to happen.  Glass, to me atleast, is like fishing with a wet noodle.  Some sharpies love them though.

I have some other rods in my tog arsenal.  Ones that see the most action are custom sticks though.  Helps to have a buddy that builds rods ;D
Calstar GFX700 is my next favorite rod.  Composite with a fast action, but a little softer in the tip for picky-bite days. t^

Fiance has a custom Calstar GF700 that she loves.  Fish 8-12ozs no problem. TT^

A few "Backup" rods are the Lami and a St Croix Pro-glass muskie stick.  Pretty sure it's composite even though it says glass. Good stick, but discontinued. 

Quite a few factory muskie rods will double nicely as a tog stick.

Length is up to your preference.  For party boats, something 7' to 8' will be good.  Private boats, sometimes a bit shorter is better.
Fast action. Heavy power rating.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 04:58:21 PM »
GT, or anyone else for that matter, any recommendation on a reel for togging?  I have the Lamiglas TFX7040CT.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 05:35:33 PM »
My favorite is the now unavailable Shimano OceaJigger 1500P TT^

Newell 220  TT^ TT^  Braid, mono, all good.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »

Fiance has a custom Calstar GF700 that she loves.  Fish 8-12ozs no problem. TT^

Is T's calstar a L, ML or M?

Saw a GFGX700L and GFFX700M that I might be interested in

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »
GT, or anyone else for that matter, any recommendation on a reel for togging?  I have the Lamiglas TFX7040CT.

Newell 220/229.

Make sure you bring your rod to the tackle shop to see if the Newells fits properly on the reel seat.

Every now & then you can find an Ocean Jigger on Ebay.

How do you like the TFX7040CT?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »
I have only used it once.  It felt great.  I used it with an Ambassador Record RCN60HC.  The reel seemed to be just a little on the small side and possibly two high of a gear ratio for pulling a big fish off the bottom.  Not that I caught a big fish... TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 02:00:57 AM »
Thanks guys.  Keep 'em coming! t^

Gottog,
The specs on that Lami BL7040C sound a lot like the St. Croix I've been eyeing up.  Do you know what the weight is on the production rod?

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:12:34 AM by Bucktail »

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 11:35:46 AM »
Skol, T's rod is built on the GF700L blank. A few of the mates in NY use the same blank.

Mine might be the GFX800L. 

The BL7040C is a stiff rod.  A bit overkill for local tog'n.  Great for areas like Orient Point/Montauk where you usually start off with 12ozs and go up from there.

Not sure on the weight.  Mine is actually the old 7030 that they rerated a few years ago and is now the 7040.  The current 7030 is probably the better rod to get for local tog'n.  Should handle 8-16ozs of lead without a problem.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »
GT, would you reccommend the 700L or 700M for blackfishing?

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »
Only have any experience with the L.  T's is custom and might have been trimmed so not sure how that effected the action.  Might want to PM Billy elsewhere and see what he says as he's alot more technical and will know.

Her rod is nice though.  Good action.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »
Just asking cause I came across some custom wrapped 700Ms on Ebay.

Also came across a off the rack 700L and just saw a 800L.

As you can plainly see my holiday bonus is burning a hole in my wallet and it needs to be spent (at least before the wife gets wind of it  ;D).

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 06:52:08 PM »
Anyone have an opinion of this rod?  It is a Shimano Tallus TLC-70MHA.  It was featured on a blackfishing episode of the Northeast Angling TV show.  They matched it up to a Torium 14 and 65# braid.  The episode will air this Saturday on SNY.
http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302038851&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1129498413305

BTW I found out the weight of that BL7040C.  It is about 12 1/2 oz.  About an ounce lighter than the St. Croix SWC70MHF.  Probably a heavier butt on the St. Croix since it has a gimball.

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 09:00:36 AM »
just got a 700 calstar as well love the rod and thanks gottog for the info about a year ago.

just got a new lami done to looks like the honey blanks. mustard color blank will post the # soon as i remember . this rod is awesome. similar to my gator glass rod... but better   

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
just got a 700 calstar as well love the rod and thanks gottog for the info about a year ago.

just got a new lami done to looks like the honey blanks. mustard color blank will post the # soon as i remember . this rod is awesome. similar to my gator glass rod... but better   
1143?

Wow, that was a long time ago.
Hey, you should check with Capt Mike and see if you can be fill-in captain for him ;)
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-