Author Topic: This Sportsman's Paradise We Call Florida  (Read 3000 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
This Sportsman's Paradise We Call Florida
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
 slt  This Sportsman's Paradise We Call Florida

Our Florida is now the eighth most densely populated state in the entire United States, and for good reason. Our crystal clear, warm, waters with pure white sun bleached sandy beaches  are second to none. In addition, there is a very good reason why the Sunshine state is known as the 'Fishing Capital of the World'. Our lakes, streams, and rivers offer some of the best bass and bream fishing in the entire country. And that's just the beginning. Our bays are teaming with trout, red fish, tarpon, and snook. Close to shore offers excellent king, mackerel, and grouper fishing.
And then, in a class by itself, if offshore Florida Fishing. Dedicate anglers are more than willing to travel thousands of miles to catch:

In addition to fishing, Florida offers outstanding hunting opportunities for the hunter:

The Sunshine state is home to both the Osceola and Eastern Wild Turkey:

In addition, Florida offers excellent deer hunting. With a season beginning in September and running through December the opportunities are outstanding:

And, not to be left out, is the Florida wild boar. And the best part, on private land in Florida hogs can legally be hunted 24/7 every month of the year.
For many management area hunting is a way of life. Over half a century ago I was introduced to management area hog hunting at Avon Park Bombing Range. The hogs were huge, mean, ready for a fight, and offered even the most experienced hunter a real challenge.  Our red bone hounds were equal to the task.
Don't have hounds? No problem!  Northern Florida's Aucilla offers excellent still hunting. My wife, Thelma, and I hunted the beautiful woods & rivers of Aucilla for over ten years. Squirrel hunting in the morning, and hog hunting in  the even was not only fun, but productive:

Want to see, and harvest, more game? Florida offers many excellent hunting clubs. Traditionally these clubs are less crowded and offer the dedicated hunter even greater chances for success. And, differently from management areas, many, such as Madison County's Buck & Boar, offer year-round camping with running water, bath house, skinning shed, walk-in cooler, and electricity. And, best of all, we have our own private hunting sights, and can use electric corn feeders. What a difference! My wife,Thelma, and I were Buck & Boar members for twenty years. The camp sight was, and still is, state of the art. B&B has always been family managed by the Todd family. After all the years Buck & Boar is still going strong. B&B covers thousands of acres with no fences. Fence or no fence the hogs act the same. Hogs will be hogs:

If one does his/her homework, this becomes a common sight:

Thelma enjoyed hog hunting every bit as much as I did, and she was very good at it:

Little did we know that our twentieth year at Buck & Boar would be our last. Cancer took this wonderful woman all too early. Without my partner of 39 years, and approaching my senior years, I had no desire to carry on by myself. After taking off a year I  once again developed the urge to pull that trigger; to hunt hogs. But how? After doing it on my own for over 65 years could I ever adjust to hunting
high-fence with an outfitter? Only one way to find out. In Woods'nWater Magazine I found this very interesting add for Cedar Key's Tiger Island Outfitters. Let's give it a try.
The Tiger Island bunk house was small, but efficient:

Just like Buck & Boar we hunted from a small, well camouflaged, hut. My daughter, Dee, joined me:

Much to my amazement the hog acted the exact same way as they did at Buck & Boar. Is it safe to go to the feeder? Often I could hear them sniffing the air trying to pick up the slightest scent of danger. Then, the smaller ones would slowly approach the feeder. Shoot one and the hunter would never know what the near by brush was hiding. All of a sudden a huge head pokes out. Hogs have a reputation of not being able to see. This is true only to a certain point. Make the slightest movement and our trophy is gone in a flash.
Smaller hogs can be relatively easy to harvest. The big boys are a complete different ball game. Fence or no fence a great deal of patience is often needed.

Next up, Perry Florida's Two Guys and a Hog.
The Two Guys bunk house is comfortable and well equipped:

My favorite stand area:

And, the best part, thank to my hard working, very experienced, guide, Francisco, my personal best ever:

Want to try an even longer hunt? Eustis, Florida's, Bear Bridge Ranch, offers three day, two night, packages. You have to see the lodge to believe it:

Like to fish? With three days there is plenty of time to fish in the well stocked lake:
[/URL]
Talk about exciting:

Florida is home to an ever increasing number of senior citizens. Often age necessitates life changes. For those of us who can no longer do things as we once did, it's great to know that alternatives do exit.
Don't own a boat? No problem!  The Florida Fisherman ll is waiting for us:

Want to continue the hunt? But age is catching up with us. No problem! Thanks to outfitters who do all the work, while we have all the fun. We can still participate in our heritage, our way of life.

Regardless of age or ability, 'This Sportsman's Paradise We Call Florida,'  can very much still be a part of our life.
Join me, us, in the field & on the water:

Bob Harbison  Florida Outdoor Writers Association
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:27:02 AM by harbison »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-