Author Topic: Barnacles  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
Barnacles
« on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »
Pulled the boat out by myself last night at high tide after the blow. Just finished powerwashing the scum off the bottom. The bottom paint held just fine and didn't have any barnacles attached. However, the bottom of transducer was covered. What do you do to help prevent that? It's a transom mount, not a thru-hull. Only other barnacles I found were in the tight spots in the transom bracket. Those usually blow right out with the powerwasher.

Offline Down Deep Fleet

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • THE 40' 1-15 PASSENGERS DOWN DEEP FLEET
Re: Barnacles
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »
Be careful removing the barnicles off the face of the transducer. Look online for the safest way to do it. In the past I have used an ultra fine grit sandpaper ( only sand in one direction, flow wise not port to starboard ) and lightly coat with a “transducer anti-fowling” paint. It is sold in a small white container, maybe 3 or 4 ounces and has a brush inside the cap. Good luck.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:40:22 AM by Down Deep Fleet »
DOWN DEEP BULL - 40' CUSTOM RP WILLIS BEAL -

U S C G CERTIFIED 1 - 15 PASSENGERS / HUGE COCKPIT / HEAT & AC

Harbor View Marina
165 - West Front Street
Keyport, NJ 07735

CAPT. MARIO 609 827 1232
AVAILABLE DATES & RESERVATIONS 609-689-8631

1 GOAL - 2 CAPTAINS - 3 MATES - 4 EXCELLENT TRIPS - 5 STAR SERVICE
-----
http://www.downdeepsportfishing.com/ddsf/

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
Re: Barnacles
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »
Be careful removing the barnicles off the face of the transducer. Look online for the safest way to do it. In the past I have used an ultra fine grit sandpaper ( only sand in one direction, flow wise not port to starboard ) and lightly coat with a “transducer anti-fowling” paint. It is sold in a small white container, maybe 3 or 4 ounces and has a brush inside the cap. Good luck.

Thanks. I wonder if any of those dissolver solutions would work good. Never knew the paint could go over the transducer. Never had them grow on the transducers on my old boats.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-