Author Topic: Golden Years Hunting in Florida  (Read 2396 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Golden Years Hunting in Florida
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:12:57 PM »
 clp
Today, thanks to modern medicine, our older generation is living longer than ever before. A new Pew Research Center analysis finds that 97% of United States counties saw an increase in their 65-and-older population since 2010. Florida, which has long attracted snowbirds and retirees, is one of the nation's grayest states. Overall, 19.1% of the Sunshine State's population is 65 and older, the highest percentage in the nation.
To many of us hunting is not just a hobby, but a way of life. To be successful year after year requires a great deal of time and effort. Unfortunately, as we approach our 'Golden Years', many of us can no longer do the, 'way-of-life' things that mean so much to us. Hunting is no exception. Charging after dogs hot on the trail of a huge boar through swamps, hunting old logging four wheel drive roads, using our Warren winch to pull our 4X4 truck out of Florida swamps... Forget it!
Must we give up, 'Golden Years Hunting in Florida'? No way! Alternatives do exist. One such 'alternative',
high-fence is enjoyed by thousands from one end of the Sunshine State to the other, and for good reason... It's fun; fun to be enjoyed by young and old alike. And the best part, we have all the fun; someone else does all the work. When done properly, by a real outfitter, the 'fun' lever can be off the chart. As in the wild smaller pigs can be relatively easy to harvest; the BIG boys are a completely different ball game. Not only are they smart, very smart, but they come equipped with a nose that, fence or no fence, gives them an advantage that often defies the imagination. They did not grow to trophy size without taking full advantage of their outstanding sense of smell. They remain on high alert. A good cover scent helps, but the best solution is to make sure the wind is blowing in our faces, away from our trophy.
Perry, Florida's Two Guys And A Hog, has been offering, 'the 'fun' lever can be off the chart', hunting for over a decade. These top-of-the line outfitters cater the young as well as the 'Golden Years' hunters:

Many of us love to celebrate special occasions.
Talk about a place to celebrate. In December of last year I celebrated birthday number 77, and wedding anniversary number 48, at Two Guys And A Hog. I wanted a real trophy in honor of my late wife.
 It's almost dark; the really big boars have kept their distance. Honey, maybe next trip. Hold on! Look at that big one. He is running through thick cover over fifty yards away. It's now of never... BAM! Hog down; hog down and out.
Thanks to Francisco, my trusted guide...

Thelma can be proud of her husband.
What a way to end the year. Let's begin the new year by leaving big city, Tampa, in search of another real trophy Florida wild boar. Many of the Sunshine State's cities have experienced a population explosion. But small-time Florida is still alive and well. Before arriving at Two Guys we pass through Otter Creek. As of 2018 Otter Creek had a population of 132, its own post office:

And Hershel's quick stop DELI and Country Grill:

Family owned and operated, Hershel's has been serving the people of Otter Creek for decades. Not too many places offer smoked mullet dip, conch dinners, or alligator meat. Hershel's does!
Thanks to places like Hershel's old time Florida will remain alive and well for decades to come.
Time to go hunting:

The BUNKHOUSE and fire place are outstanding:

The father/son team of Mr. Terry Goff, retired Tampa Police Sergeant, and son Kevin enjoyed the BUNKHOUSE before hunting the next morning, and what a hunt it was. Our retired Sergeant put his Savage .30-06 to good use. His son, Kevin, is an expert with his Remington model 7400 chambered in the ever so popular .308 caliber.

Let's see if Francisco can do it again. First up... Plenty of corn. Here is where that 'nose' can be used against even the biggest Florida wild boar. Hopefully the smell of that corn will be too much temptation. Francisco goes to work:

Hogs love to follow trails. When we have a very long, well traveled, fence line trail, plenty of water, and corn, we have a winning combination:

Let's share the action with fellow sportsmen/women:

That fence line feeder is working well, but the BIG boys are staying in the thick timber. Finally! He knows I am there and is on high alert:

Ever so slowly I reach for my Marlin 1850 stainless guide gun. With the cross-hairs of my 3X9 Nikon scope just under his ear I touch the trigger and release the unbelievable power of that mighty .45-70 ULTRAMAX 405 gr. power-house. Hog down! Watch the 'kill-shot' 4 minutes, 40 seconds into the video at the end of this presentation:

Thank you Francisco; you are the best. This best-of-the best guide has been with Two Guys And A Hog for ten years. Guatemala, you can be proud of your native son:

Talk about a trophy to be proud of:

Must we give up, 'Golden Years Hunting in Florida'? No way!
 A 225 pound Florida wild boar with huge cutters is a trophy to be proud of. After all, ' Alternatives do exist'!

Follow the action in this short in the field action packed video:

What an honor sharing, 'Golden Years Hunting in Florida' with you. Next time around join me and I will feature you in my report.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:02:01 PM by harbison »

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Golden Years Hunting in Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 08:21:21 AM »
 t^ ... well said ...  chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Re: Golden Years Hunting in Florida
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
 clp  Thank you!  What an honor sharing with you.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-