Author Topic: Early Season Fishing Observations  (Read 2054 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Early Season Fishing Observations
« on: March 20, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »
As we make our way through March the weather pretty much has been cooperating and letting anglers out and catching early.  The Toms River has been producing small schoolie Stripers all along its shore line.  Along with the Stripers the White Perch have been giving anglers a fill in when the stripers have lock jaw.  If you can find moving water of the brackish kine there you will find the White Perch. 

Small hooks or jigs are the ticket to landing these little tid bits.  Blood worms seem to be the bait of choice but watch out you might land a small Striper or two.  The prized fish are all over the Toms River with a large amount starting to move out into the bay.  If you have your boat in the water already try along the Mathis or Tunny bridges as I have heard they are congregating along the pillars.  All the usual baits are fair game right now but many are being caught with 4" to 6" twitch baits or poppers. 

Not much talk about the blues yet but I would keep a few bucktail jigs handy with white curly tails handy.  They won't be far behind.  I know it is early usual May is the Spring run for the yellow eyed monsters.  But the waters are warming up pretty quickly now as the ocean temps are already in the low 40's.

I am looking for a good year this year as I am back and although the beach is out for me right now I will be making my way around the bay and reporting on any activity this ole guy can hear and pass it onto all of you.

I will let you know what happens on Wednesday when I will have my grandson out again.

Oh yeah all the usual Bait & Tackle Shops are all geared up for the season so make your way over to your favorite shop and help keep them in business.  There are many reasons NOT to go to big named stores.  I look at it this way the small mom and pop shops if frequented often by you will remember you and begin to give you that good fishing report you usually could never have received from that big store.

Good Luck to everyone this season.  See you around the edges...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-