Author Topic: Some help from our members here..  (Read 9128 times)

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Some help from our members here..
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »
Got this from a Sponsor..   Anyone want to chime in and help me out with this.  will be a good Plug for the site..

Hi Rod,

I’m working with the Marine Trades Association of NJ to write a story, “Is Your Boat Smart Enough?” to promote their upcoming boat show, Sept. 20-22. The story will highlight new technology that boat owners should be on the lookout for at the fall show.

Would you mind taking a few minutes to answer the questions below (bullet points or a couple of sentences per question)? Also please let me know how you would like your name/title/organization listed in the story.

Thank you!

On a boat there’s always something to upgrade. What are some of the newest trends/gadgets?
Why do boaters (or fisherman) want the newest technology?
What is special about the 2020 models?
From a fisherman’s perspective, how can boats be better?
What will the “hot” trends be in 2020?
What do you anticipate the newest most popular upgrade to be? Why?
Are different technologies/upgrades desirable to different groups/ages, etc.? What are some examples?
Why is it important to have the latest technology on a boat?
What are some examples of the way technology has changed boating (for the better and worse)?
Is there an advancement that doesn’t exist yet, but is hoped for?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Some help from our members here..
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:37:55 PM »
I've had my present boat for twenty five years...what do I know about new technology?  ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
Question. How often do people "upgrade" equipment on their current boat? Most people I know and myself only make upgrades when getting a new or new-to-me boat. I changed out the lowrance electronics when I bought my current boat because the radar didn't work and the fishfinder/GPS was outdated and also didn't work properly.

To address the given questions, I can really only answer a few since I look more at fishing gear than boating equipment.

Q1 - I don't follow trends much
Q2 - Why would you buy obsolete or outdated technology
Q3 - Don't have any clue of 2020 models
Q4 - Better fuel range and cockpit layout to accommodate needed fishing space
Q5 - No clue. Don't keep up with trends
Q6 - Seakeeper to help with seasickness
Q7 - I would say not necessarily. With the costs associated with upgrades, I think people only go through with it when they have to. Atleast on the recreational side.
Q8 - It's not
Q9 - As with automobiles, people have become completely reliant upon GPS and associated electronics. Then when those systems fail, they don't know what to do.
Q10 - Not sure

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
Upgrades in safety equipment I can get behind 100%.  I dont need the latest and greatest

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
Just my 2 cents
1) Not sure of the newest trends
2) As a boater I like the newest safety equipment.
3) I up graded my chart plotter and fishfinder with 2020 garmin equipment. Because I won't upgrade for a while I opted for the newest tech out there.
4) More fishing storage and space for fishing
5) I think the tech savvy like the phone app integration. I have seen people save numbers on these apps.
6) I would think electronics would be the most popular as the tech is ever evolving and is a somewhat easy plug and play.
7) I think the younger groups depend on chart plotters and fish finders way more than the older group. Some tech people can't read a chart and don't have a compass on board. SMH
8) I don't find it necessary unless it's safety related. I use and have AIS as a safety item due to the areas I fish.
9) Easy example, Chart plotter. To some it's an aid in navigation, to others it's the only way to navigate.
10) I think one day collision avoidance technology will be mandatory and will guide the boater on the route he should take ie. Starboard to starboard or port to port. This I look forward to.

Thanks Rod you gave me something to do at work today ... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
 t^

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »
On a boat there’s always something to upgrade. What are some of the newest trends/gadgets?
# Night Vision Cameras, But very expensive.  would love to own one but probably out of most average boaters price range.

Why do boaters (or fisherman) want the newest technology?
# To get the edge on the fish and tournaments.

What is special about the 2020 models?
# I don't follow new models since I couldn't afford a new boat and what I have suite me fine.

From a fisherman’s perspective, how can boats be better?
# safety , Stability , Speed , Amenities

What will the “hot” trends be in 2020?
# IDK

What do you anticipate the newest most popular upgrade to be? Why?
# Electronics,   It's one of the most used equipment on the boat.

Are different technologies/upgrades desirable to different groups/ages, etc.? What are some examples?
# it's really all about what you can afford,  you always want the best.

Why is it important to have the latest technology on a boat?
#Probably for safety reasons,  better radar.. better GPS accuracy..

What are some examples of the way technology has changed boating (for the better and worse)?
Is there an advancement that doesn’t exist yet, but is hoped for?
# well growing up I remember the humming bird fish / depth finder that just had a ring that flashed green lines if the bean hit something..  No GPS.. you had to set a course with the compass to get back to the inlet..

I'm sure they are working on something new..

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-