Author Topic: Newcomer to NJ (Long Beach Island)  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Seadweller

Newcomer to NJ (Long Beach Island)
« on: July 15, 2020, 04:48:51 AM »
Hi!

I've been out of the fishing game for five years or more.  All my gear got stolen when I lived in Florida including a pretty nice Penn 16/0

I've been in the area for about a year now and want to get lines back in the water.  But not only do I not know what good fish for eating area in the area I don't know the methods most NJ anglers use.  I mostly fished for sharks from the beach

I'm looking to start fishing from the beach with a surfcasting rig, and fishing from a small boat that friends own.  They won't be going out deep, they like crabbing and just cruising around mostly close to the shore.  I'd love to get some advice on lures/baits for these two methods

I have a Penn Fathom 40 that replaces one I had in Florida.  I want to kind of start with this reel which I've got on a Rampage boat rod temporarily.  I'd love advice on setups for either jigging sort of shallow water or lures to drag behind the boat as we are slow cruising.  As well as setups for chucking out off a 12' surf rod

Any advice is appreciated, thank you all in advance!

(also, if my questions would be better or more visible in other subforums, if you could point me to those it would be appreciated as well ;) ).

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Newcomer to NJ (Long Beach Island)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:25:16 AM »
 wa grtn...  Good morning, Although I will not be able to help you too much as I am a boater from North Jersey I can tell you some of the guys on here sure can. Hold tight and someone will get to your questions. Welcome aboard, Tight lines .... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Seadweller

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »
Thank you! I’d love to get more out on water. Just currently my options are surf or inshore on a pleasure/day drinking boat LoL   You make do with what you’ve got LoL

And I appreciate the welcome!

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 11:27:31 AM »
Get yourself set up with our Saltwater Registry (saltwater license).

Have a read through the Marine Digest. You can find size and bag limits for the fish in our waters in there.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2020/digmar20.pdf

For quick reference for our most common species, you can refer to this cheat sheet.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2020/marseasonschart20.pdf

This time of year in the surf, will be fluke, northern kingfish, and bluefish. Possibly some black drum and striped bass. The summer surprises from the south have been showing up recently so you may hook into a spanish mackerel also.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 03:39:59 PM »
 grtn wa

Offline Seadweller

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! Went out on our friend’s boat but we ended up at the sandbar. Which as I found out is not conducive to fishing in the bay of LBI 😂

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-