Author Topic: Sinker slides  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Sinker slides
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:31:51 AM »
  I know they are free on the line but what type of fishing are they best used for? Do you let them slide all the way down to the hook? Do you limit how far they slide etc?

Thanks
Frank 5hrug

Offline Capt.Dave

• Absecon Bay Sportsman Center
Re: Sinker slides
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:03:46 AM »
They are pretty much a bottom fishing tactic, particulary where you are trying to keep a bait locked on the bottom and need a heavy weight. 

The slide is rigged as described abovewhich allows a direct pull from the hook to the rod without any interferance from the sinker.  This is particularly good for clam fishing for stripers from boat beach or bank.  You will know immediately when you get a bite and he won'tget a chance to strip the hook.

In most cases the fish finder works from a stationary position with a locked down reel.  Don't make the mistake of allowing a fish to freeline with the bait because many times yu will get the proverbial "RunnOff" or if you do hook up the fish will b gut hooked.

Just lock up your reel and when the rod bends over reel him in.

There are more styles of fish finder comming on the market.  There are more braid resistant styles available and one of the best inovations is the Sea Striker quick attaching fish finder that can be put on your line any time to allow for quick fishing style changes without cutting and retying lines.
For drifting I usually prefer in line trolling style sinkers or a 3 way dropper.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »
slide them down to where the line and leader meet..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:13:32 AM »
  Thanks for the responses.
  grtn grtn

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »
Frank,

I really depends on what/where you are fishing.

I use them for Stripers/Blues when stationary clamming and chunking, usually have a 30-36" leader, I prefer not to leave the reel in gear, but to hold it with thumb on spool, a lot of times a striper will come mouth the bait and swimm a while before actually chomping down, if the reel is in gear they could feel the tension and drop it. If my clients do not want to hold the rod, I will leave it out of gear but with the drag (clicker) on, this way if the fish picks up the bait you will hear the clicker and the fish will not feel resistance.

Sometimes I also use the slide when drifting, clams, eels, chucks....but it depends on the area, current and conditions, most of the time I use a threeway with a 6-12" dropper to the sinker.

Sometimes we use it for Fluke, but most of the time it is a threeway with a dropper.

As far as Sea Bass and Tog, use a dropper loop on the end of the rig, with your hooks tied above the sinker dropper.

All of these are from a boat......slide rigs are great on the surf. 

Hope this helps

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 10:20:45 AM »
I use them exclusively to drag bait for fluke AND to chum clams and liveline bunker for bass.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 03:19:33 PM »
Hi All,

I agree with what has been said here about this topic.  This sketch is what I use off the surf for Blues and Stripers.

The way I fish is for the most part I dead stick the rod.  In doing so I can try other rods with plugs and metal as well. 

The technique I use is to set a light drag so that the fish when it takes the bait will swallow and turn away allowing the circle hook (which I use all the time) to slide out of where ever and lodge into the jaw where it is suppose to.  It works just about every time.  But you have to make sure your drag is set just right that the fish will run with the line and not your pole.

Spring is one day closer...

I hope this helps.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »

There are more styles of fish finder comming on the market.  There are more braid resistant styles available and one of the best inovations is the Sea
Striker quick attaching fish finder that can be put on your line any time to allow for quick fishing style changes without cutting and retying lines.

Capt. Dave where are these Sea Striker type available. I also have a problem spin-n-glows getting tangled in the Braid and it cuts right through a wing leaveing the spin-n-glow useless.
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 10:15:27 PM »
Skip, I can hook you up with some.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:22:48 PM »
I use it for bluefish. Put the slide of the line, a swivel to the line (this limits how far down the slider can go down) next I tie the leader to the swivel and then put the hook on the leader. Usually for me the slider is no less than 12-18" from the hook.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »
Skip, I can hook you up with some.   t^
Joe
This Type that Dave is referring to that snap on to your line. I've never seen them.
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »
I have given them slides to try out last year.  I wasn't a very big fan of them. 

The yellow part twists to align the opening of the yellow part with the opening of the white part.  You put your line thru the openings and then twist the yellow part to close off the openings.  At times, when in use, the line would find it's way between the two pieces and either get sliced or jammed, thereby negating the slide effect.  I went back to the regular slides and felt it better to retie if I was changing type of fishing.

The only advantage is; if you want to use the same rod & reel outfit to go from fishing for fluke with a slider rig to fishing for seabass with a fixed sinker rig, you didn't have to re-rig.  How often will you be doing that?  To me, it was not worth it.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-